800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Wouldn't trade my brute for the world. Polaris's are bitches to work on(my cousin works for yamaha and hate Polaris and arctic
Cat for that reason) I'm just not a fan of the can-am in general. You can put a lot of money into a brute before it's in the price range of a can-am

I have a 2009 Brute, its no dream to work on either. Had over heating issues, had to tear the whole front end off to get at the rad cap. Spark plugs are no fun either. Also lost the fuel pump at 280 km so yap, tear the azz off the machine to get at that.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy after reading all this, I think I'll head to Canadian Tire and grab Qaud from there thats the only one Nobodies bitched about.J/K

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy after reading all this, I think I'll head to Canadian Tire and grab Qaud from there thats the only one Nobodies bitched about.J/K

Canadian Tire quads suck azz over priced under developed get a GIO they rock... J/K :d

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
po po's suck and brutes rule..........................................canslam's brake frames..... so............................................:d:d:d:d

Thanks for that helpful post. I'll take your word for it... For the most part.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a can ham?500 maxs thats had 27's from day 1 3700 mile clutched and a slip on HMF never broke anything,my brother has a 800 maxs with 27's clutched and a slip on HMF and heavy springs with spacers, He's 540 pounds and he's only broke 1 rear CV so i'll stick with what works for me.There all good, and we've owned a few go with what works for you.FYI No frame damage my buddy has a 650 maxs and he jumps the sh$t out of it.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got some bad intel there bud, the 2011 XP has the best clutch of any Polaris. They also removed the SLD. You can go tons farther in Hi range, though its not something I recommend doing in the mud, it works tons better than the previous gen 800. Also, its got a way stronger belt too.

The ADC on the XP only works when its in AWD, so all 4 wheels slow the quad, not like the previous gen where it was just the back tires.

Razrgade & quadboy55, I was unaware that the SLD was removed. Mine was the 2009 850 XP, what year did they get rid of it??
I will stand with my comment about the ADC going down hills and making it slip & slid sideways. Mine did that often and so have many others but probably not all of them.
Again with mine the belt blew up very fast in high range, where all my other quads can easily do the same or more in high without a problem, of course others will have different findings.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09 850's have a 2 part SLD, where the 10's and 11's have a 1 part SLD. There is no way you shoud slide around with the adc on. With mine on I could take a nap while going down a hill if i wanted. I could maybe see with just the engine brake kicking in and locking the back tires.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 850xp showed what they can do at the Rimbey mud races today......

I will post a link to the videos. That turbo Outlander really gave all the others a run for their money. With a little D'oh anything is possible.:beer:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was very quick, however the 850 xp of Steves gave it a good run and it is just about stock....It also beat every canam it went against other than the turbo one....Not bad ,i would say.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was very quick, however the 850 xp of Steves gave it a good run and it is just about stock....It also beat every canam it went against other than the turbo one....Not bad ,i would say.

Thats the stealth one with the nos right? That was a sharp XP.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nitrous doesn't do anything does it? :rolleyes:

It is only a 10 shot and he never armed it untill the last 2 races.... On the other hand the turbo canam was pushing 110/120 REAR WHEEL horse power so i will stick to my claim ,not bad.

There were numerous get torqued bikes with ALOT more work done to them than the xp, all of which he beat not on the button......:beer:

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did these other crappy can ams have crushlocks? They are the answer for the mud pits. The weight combined with crushlocks are what's needed for mud pits. Whish I could of been there to watch you guys in action. Maybe even try racing a bit but the 12 wide outlaws all the way around myt outlander she floats the front a little much, great for the skeg I ride.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one said the Canams were crappy,they were flying...lol .The xp was the only one with crush locks and i think it did help.....The bikes with wide tires up front took a beating no dought though....It seemed like the narrow zilla`s were the way to go...The laws/backs paddled&floated a little two much. A lot of it was just the side you were givin....lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one said the Canams were crappy,they were flying...lol .The xp was the only one with crush locks and i think it did help.....The bikes with wide tires up front took a beating no dought though....It seemed like the narrow zilla`s were the way to go...The laws/backs paddled&floated a little two much. A lot of it was just the side you were givin....lol
I figured that Smkgnsnv was onto something when he posted those crushed Zillas a while back. I like it!

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I was just messin withh ya on the crappy can am thing everyone knows there awesome. I would like to try crushlocks but a lot of money for me to spend as I don't think there going to be that great other then mud pits but I could be wrong.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so y then does everyone have to beat a boxed tube inside of the main boxed tube if they dont brake then?????????????

i didn't have to beat anythin into my frame to make it stronger......

i like the 800r cany engines......

if they made a quad with the kawi chassis , can spam 800r engine , and po po ride we'd all be set...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so y then does everyone have to beat a boxed tube inside of the main boxed tube if they dont brake then?????????????

i didn't have to beat anythin into my frame to make it stronger......

i like the 800r cany engines......

if they made a quad with the kawi chassis , can spam 800r engine , and po po ride we'd all be set...
Stock frame on my 800 still....5th season. That "Can-Am frame is weak" statement is a non-issue. I've seem broken AC, PoPo, and Kawi frames just as often as the CA's. People that ride things hard, break things....the bigger the HP, the harder they get rode.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock frame on my 800 still....5th season. That "Can-Am frame is weak" statement is a non-issue. I've seem broken AC, PoPo, and Kawi frames just as often as the CA's. People that ride things hard, break things....the bigger the HP, the harder they get rode.

true ... mabe u been lucky.....:d but i have seen tons of posts in here and other sites with doing the double box mod.... so thats where i'm coming from

Top Bottom