800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

Mehoe

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade your Brute. The 850XP rides better may not be as fast as the Can Am but in my opinion the 4WD system is better then the Can Am.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought the Can-Am. Hopefully I won't regret it. Thanks for all the input.

Full_Out

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Renegade 800 now. I have had a 2007 Grizzly 700 power steering, 2007 Renegade 800, 2009 Renegade 800 X, and now have a 2011 Renegade 800 Xxc. Nothing compares to the power of the Rotax 800R. The X gas suspension is amazing, and now you can get it on Outlanders. I find the clutching very impressive on Can Ams. The new QE Visco-Loc is to die for. It gives you instant diff lock whenever you need it. I can wheelie for miles, and landing jumps is like landing on clouds. The suspension is very effective, yet very simple. The rear trailing arms are extremely strong and articulate very impressively. I constantly get complements on how nice my suspension looks in action. Not to mention that there is no scrub on the rear end whatsoever. I can pound through the rough trails like no other. And no other manufacture beats Can Ams warranty. 3 years!!! Also, having close to or more than 20 horsepower more than the competition, you can't complain.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Renegade 800 now. I have had a 2007 Grizzly 700 power steering, 2007 Renegade 800, 2009 Renegade 800 X, and now have a 2011 Renegade 800 Xxc. Nothing compares to the power of the Rotax 800R. The X gas suspension is amazing, and now you can get it on Outlanders. I find the clutching very impressive on Can Ams. The new QE Visco-Loc is to die for. It gives you instant diff lock whenever you need it. I can wheelie for miles, and landing jumps is like landing on clouds. The suspension is very effective, yet very simple. The rear trailing arms are extremely strong and articulate very impressively. I constantly get complements on how nice my suspension looks in action. Not to mention that there is no scrub on the rear end whatsoever. I can pound through the rough trails like no other. And no other manufacture beats Can Ams warranty. 3 years!!! Also, having close to or more than 20 horsepower more than the competition, you can't complain.
:thumbsup2: yup, you just about sumed it up there. if you look at any pro circuit, be it mud or GNCC or sport quad then you can clearly see that can-am leads by leap and bounds over anyone else. can-am owns the podiums. wonder way? because of best power, best handling, and the new QE visco lock cant be compared to the older ones. it is like day and night. the QE is as good or even better now than polaris's on demand. i have owned a few polaris's and i dont mind them. they seem to be a good machine. geees, i can't remember the last time a brute has been on the podium for anything in any pro class. even ameture races can-am dominates. put a 100 bucks at the end of a cross country race track and put the same equal experienced riders on each. no mods. guess you would win? its a no brainer. these are all facts. cant argue with facts. to just say my quad is better imo does not mean much. look at the facts and then see what is better. Can-am's technolegy is light years ahead of the rest. they have best power period, best handling cause of the gas piggy shocks that have rebound, hi and low compression and ride height adjustments. no other manuffacture even comes close with there shocks. best ps cause it acts like a steering stabilizer and takes out all the bump steer. the vico lock 4 x4 now is as good as polaris. the geometry on the frame gives can-am the best handling of any quad. bead lock wheels are worth every penny over a standard rim, the rear trailing arms called tti arms are designed so to soak up bumps and take corners with proper alinment of the supension syetem. etc, etc. you really get what you pay for.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fact is the popo has 70 hp the Canam 71 ,not 20 hp difference , just sayin.....

yes you are correct but the way can-am delivers the hp thru the range compared to the polaris is so much more sporty. you cant just look at the hp difference. 1 hp is no big deal. its the way the power is deliverd to the ground by clutch set up. the can-am has such more of a sporty pull thru the power band and stock to stock on pavement the can-am renegade is faster. now the outlander is a little slower than the rene cause of the clutch set up. now who really cares. we all get a to b eventually. just if you put all the pros of can-am in a basket, they are the best performance valve for your money. for instance, to buy a shock set up as good as the X piggy's are, you are going to spend 3000 dollars on a good set of shocks. you mite laugh here but untill you ride a quad with that type of suspension, i would'nt laugh to long. now this is only if you are performance driven. if your not then you don't really care how you get from a to b. thats fine. everyone is different.

racing at the pro level gives valuble info to the manufacturer on how to construct futher bikes. can-am's domination in racing has given the engineers an insight of what a perforamance oriented person is looking for in a quad. compare the xxc rene and xxc outty. no other quad has the performance add on's like can-am has. this is what the performance community wants in a quad and can-am has answered. yes its more to buy a can-am but to take another quad to the level of a can-am you would have to spend just as much or even more. another example is the xmr mud version. take a close look at it and tell me that it's not a superior bike........ i have a hard time when people post that something is the best without doing there homework. if i am not correct then prove me wrong with facts.

H2O

Reaction score
The brutes are descent bikes... however they dont' have the clearance and suspension travel of the Popo or the canam.
Also the rear travel is straight up and down.... makes for a rougher ride.
In comparing my two quads the canam is a 08 62hp with QRS slipon, may increase hp by2 ... so maybe 64hp .
The can am flat out beats the 850 in a race and keeps on increasing its lead on the 850.

The can am uses less fuel than the 850 and feels lighter to ride.... has more funfacter.... sound is awesome.
Haven't had any issues at all 2600 km.

The 850 has great power and does have a smoother ride than the Can am. The EBS is also very nice to have.
The overall engine breaking goes to the canam..... it is much more smooth and linear.

The 850 is sometimes too aggressive in ADC.... with that said if you are concerned about too much braking (skidding down a hill) don't use the ADC and just apply a little brake.
The ADC fluid does not need to be changed as much as the front diff fluid..... It is the dirty diff fluid that will effect the ADC function.

I haven't had any problems with the 850 either (1500 km)

The 4x4 system of the 850 is superior to the canam .... but I do have the 2008 and not the new QE visco.
The clutch engagment on the 850 is too harsh and not smooth... where as the canam is much nicer.
Skid plates are also a must in the canam... I would recommend the aluminum ones i have the Ricchocette.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The brutes are descent bikes... however they dont' have the clearance and suspension travel of the Popo or the canam.
Also the rear travel is straight up and down.... makes for a rougher ride.
In comparing my two quads the canam is a 08 62hp with QRS slipon, may increase hp by2 ... so maybe 64hp .
The can am flat out beats the 850 in a race and keeps on increasing its lead on the 850.

The can am uses less fuel than the 850 and feels lighter to ride.... has more funfacter.... sound is awesome.
Haven't had any issues at all 2600 km.

The 850 has great power and does have a smoother ride than the Can am. The EBS is also very nice to have.
The overall engine breaking goes to the canam..... it is much more smooth and linear.

The 850 is sometimes too aggressive in ADC.... with that said if you are concerned about too much braking (skidding down a hill) don't use the ADC and just apply a little brake.
The ADC fluid does not need to be changed as much as the front diff fluid..... It is the dirty diff fluid that will effect the ADC function.

I haven't had any problems with the 850 either (1500 km)

The 4x4 system of the 850 is superior to the canam .... but I do have the 2008 and not the new QE visco.
The clutch engagment on the 850 is too harsh and not smooth... where as the canam is much nicer.
Skid plates are also a must in the canam... I would recommend the aluminum ones i have the Ricchocette.
very nice write up. agree with everything you are saying. yes the 4 x 4 system of the polaris is so much better but that ends with the QE visco. the new QE visco is as quick as the polaris. i have always said the popo rules on the 4 x 4 system till the QE came out. now its as good. cant say its better. hard to tell but owning both machines i am very happy with the new QE.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone had both? Know advantages of each over the other? Ride difference? Thinking of selling my 09 Brute 750 and getting either the Can Am or XP, but not sure which. I know the XP is about 90 lbs. heavier, but when you're talking 650 lbs. and over, not sure how much of a difference that will make. I guess the Can Am goes faster, but I'm more looking for lateral stability and handling over speed. Reliability? Any first hand experience would be good. I do all kinds of riding, mud, trails, etc. Double my 11 year old son sometimes, but I plan to get him a dirt bike, so won't be doubling all that often and don't really want to spend the extra money for a two-up.

Can-am makes a very powerful motor but, all the mechanics I have talked to said you will get good at fixing them and it's a very expensive "hobby" to fix them. But, Can-am has an awesome warranty. Also, can am has an awesome suspension very smooth with lots of clearance. Just what I have heard.

Riding a polaris is like riding a bull. Very rough, it's going to try and throw you the whole time and you are going to be very sore afterwards. I really dislike the Polaris machines. The brute aren't exactly like floating on a cloud either but I still prefer the feel of it.

I was doing the same thing considering going to can-am but was convinced to just sell my Brute and but a newer one. Of the three powerhouse machines(Outlander/Renegade 800, Brute Force, 850XP let's be honest the T-Cat is a joke) on the market the brute still my favorite. If you need the extra power put a fundy 820 STD bore kit into the brute and you will get something like 90 HP. You can do a lot to the brute before it touches the price of a can-am.

Just my two cents.

Fundy website
Kawasaki Brute Force Kits

H2O

Reaction score
byronkentgraham, The 850 xp has the smoothest ride right now period. The kawasaki is like riding a bull!!

Take a look at all the reviews out there.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can-am makes a very powerful motor but, all the mechanics I have talked to said you will get good at fixing them and it's a very expensive "hobby" to fix them. But, Can-am has an awesome warranty.
I'm not good at fixing them yet....4 seasons of headlight-deep mud and all I've done is change the oil. I usually replace my machines every 1 to 2 seasons (sleds and quads) and this is the first machine I've kept for 4 years....and no plans for a new one next year either. It has been rock solid reliable.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned a Canam Renegade,ride with 850 xp`s and owned a brute and 2 RZR`s . So this is not heresay but first hand experiance .
The brute FOR the money is an awesome bike ,alittle money on elka`s and motor work and it is a force to be reckoned with.
The 850 is a beast, great motor,great ride (the best) not as sporty as the can am but not designed to be either. Kind of like comparing a Vette to a caddy . It`s a "what type of rider are you " between the popo and canam . For those of you who reference the old Popo sportsmans,don`t bother this is not even close to the old bikes it is light years a head.
If you are a VERY fast trail rider ,have to win every race the can am is the better bike.In the mud if there is a bottom the 850 more than holds its own.

The Canam are a serious ,well built bike with amazing power .In my opinion thay are at the top of there game,however with that said they like all others are not perfect. They need better skids,frame, and cooling to be FAULTLESS imo. Also i ride with several new canams and i am starting think they are a little TOO hi tech. Forever going into limp mode/overheatmode/ ,Many SENSOR issues on all most all rides . Can`t wait for the Comannder it has a sensor if you scratch your as# ,im sure.

These are my opinions based on what i have seen first hand ,not what i have read on a forum by someone who didn`t cut the check for the bike.....

rip2727

Reaction score
i have a 2006 800 xt bombadier with 12000kms on it and i has never left me in the bush. i replaced the battery after 3yrs just to be on the safe side.
i have to do some things on it for sure.but thats a given id say.no motor work though could use a back valve cover gasket now.
i had the secondary drive bearing fail after 10000k.so replaced the belt also at that time they said belt was just fine.
know a polaris rider with 3 blowen belts in first 1000 k.not sure what hes doing other than swamping it with mud.im no slouch on the gas at all.
when i say to gf im going riding she says i c one of those spooky rides.she hates me somedays when she comes along.
i have a non max version and carry a passenger alot with all my other crap ie chain saw shotgun im so over loaded.mind you i put 2-up springs all round

i have nothing but good things to say about this quad.
i ride with a polaris and you can have them.

downhill assist-hhmm i put mine in 4x4 and it stays in down hill.would i like a manual front diff locker um ya sometimes.but most time no need.

i have no real time on a polaris but have seen enough to know i will keep my bombadier thank you.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The can ams are a nice machine. No one has mentioned the problems with cracked and broken frames though!!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes there has been issiues with the frames but to damage a frame you must hit something the wrong way or to hard. i bet that everyone who has damaged a frame has done some major blunder. they all say did'nt do nothing much and the frame is bent. frames don't bend by themselfs. any frame can be bent on any machine. they are all fragile. hit something the wrong way or to hard and boom. i have owned two renegades, an 07 for 4 years and now a 10 Xxc and i rode the 07 on an mx track for the 4 years i owned it. the machine seen 6 hrs in a weekend on a mx track, every weekend in the summer and never had any issiues with the frame.

you do need a good set of skids and/or a frame strengther insert but i did run my 07 for 3 out of the 4 years without it, just the skids and no issiue.

i actually have seen other brands just hit a tree or bank, not even that hard and front end frame damage was done.

if you dont hit anything that can damage your quad then your frame wont bend.

now that said, i dont hate polaris, they do have some top notch features. you cant just say you hate them. compare things and see what works and what does'nt.
id rather have a polaris than kaw, and susuki, and honda imo. can-am for all out performance in every aspect is king. proof is in the domination of every class of racing including mud. were talking 90 % domination in pro and ameteur for the last 3 years.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride Can Am, my wife rides Polaris.

There you have it, Can Am is a mans bike, Polaris is a womans bike.

H2O

Reaction score
The can-am frame is made of one box tubular spar down the center of the bike.

If it is not protected (skid plate) in time..... if you ride over rocks and stumps then this tubular spar will become dented and the more dents this spar takes the weaker it gets.

There is also a mod you can do to reinforce this spar ...... by sliding a smaller box of steel inside the factory frame.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the can am, as I have already said, I think it is a good machine. Just wanted to point out they are not a perfect machine as some would suggest. I have also seen the frame fix (steel tubing hammered into the lower frame tube). I have looked into it because I have considered buying a renegade.

Is the 2010 Xxc worth the extra $$ cause they're very pricey!

Top Bottom