800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone had both? Know advantages of each over the other? Ride difference? Thinking of selling my 09 Brute 750 and getting either the Can Am or XP, but not sure which. I know the XP is about 90 lbs. heavier, but when you're talking 650 lbs. and over, not sure how much of a difference that will make. I guess the Can Am goes faster, but I'm more looking for lateral stability and handling over speed. Reliability? Any first hand experience would be good. I do all kinds of riding, mud, trails, etc. Double my 11 year old son sometimes, but I plan to get him a dirt bike, so won't be doubling all that often and don't really want to spend the extra money for a two-up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya hadster has had both.... he sold his po po for the 800r canam.... the electric p/s gave up on the po po and was 2000.00 to fix not under warranty... left a very bad taist in his mouth...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh after havin a fuel injected quad with us last weekend and the battery craped the bed and would idle and with a boost would go 1/2 mile i wouldn't have a fuelly quad.... im keepin my brute for ever....... plus i think for being a all around quad to ride , maintain , gas mileage ect... the brutes are the way to go... [ picture trying to put a belt on a po po ... ] not more me thankx..

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a '10 850XP EPS, so far no major issues (1000km) and I wouldn't say it's slower then the CanAm, my buddy has a 800 Canam with power steering, I couldn't pass him but he couldn't pull away from me either. :D Pretty much dead even.

Only issue I don't like on my Poo is the ADC on really steep technical descents. It will kick out then lock up the rear wheels (engine compression) if you try to go too slow - usually not a problem but it won't re-engage even after tapping the throttle then letting off - still skids the rear tires. Kind of unnerving when it's a steep,loose trail where you can't go fast. My 700 Grizzly works better for these spots but isn't as low geared so on the brakes too but at least it doesn't lock the back tires up. There is an issue with the front diff (ADC) fluid that needs to be changed more regularly if you use the ADC lots - changed mine after 700km and no difference. Just going to have to live with it 'cause I like the rest of the quad.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh after havin a fuel injected quad with us last weekend and the battery craped the bed and would idle and with a boost would go 1/2 mile i wouldn't have a fuelly quad.... im keepin my brute for ever....... plus i think for being a all around quad to ride , maintain , gas mileage ect... the brutes are the way to go... [ picture trying to put a belt on a po po ... ] not more me thankx..

It was a yammi with a dead battery,,,,

And your belt broke,,,,remember the big hill,who pulled you up..

It was fun,,,,:d:d:beer::beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a yammi with a dead battery,,,,

And your belt broke,,,,remember the big hill,who pulled you up..

It was fun,,,,:d:d:beer::beer:

lol thankx for reminding me ray..... and ya it was a yamasquaa..... i was goin with the fuel injection in general..

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had the adc issue you had kootenaycat. I have had the sld kick in though going down a really step hill with adc on.(probaly shouldn't have gone down it anyway). the only thing that trough me off can am was the visca lock front diff. my uncles has been in the shop lots because of it. the 850 is really stable from what i have found and rides great. makes a awsome machine just go out ride for the whole day. And ride both 850s first one with power steering and one with out. i dont have and dont need it steers pretty easy with out.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 800 po but really don't like how strong the ADC is had some rather intense moments on the ice with it locking up the tires and then I become a rather large tobagon

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a '10 850XP EPS, so far no major issues (1000km) and I wouldn't say it's slower then the CanAm, my buddy has a 800 Canam with power steering, I couldn't pass him but he couldn't pull away from me either. :D Pretty much dead even.

Only issue I don't like on my Poo is the ADC on really steep technical descents. It will kick out then lock up the rear wheels (engine compression) if you try to go too slow - usually not a problem but it won't re-engage even after tapping the throttle then letting off - still skids the rear tires. Kind of unnerving when it's a steep,loose trail where you can't go fast. My 700 Grizzly works better for these spots but isn't as low geared so on the brakes too but at least it doesn't lock the back tires up. There is an issue with the front diff (ADC) fluid that needs to be changed more regularly if you use the ADC lots - changed mine after 700km and no difference. Just going to have to live with it 'cause I like the rest of the quad.

I would say you need to change your ADC fluid. The ADC shouldn't cut out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2000 km on mine. It is one year old now. My repairs I have done have been caused by me. Lol.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone had both? Know advantages of each over the other? Ride difference? Thinking of selling my 09 Brute 750 and getting either the Can Am or XP, but not sure which. I know the XP is about 90 lbs. heavier, but when you're talking 650 lbs. and over, not sure how much of a difference that will make. I guess the Can Am goes faster, but I'm more looking for lateral stability and handling over speed. Reliability? Any first hand experience would be good. I do all kinds of riding, mud, trails, etc. Double my 11 year old son sometimes, but I plan to get him a dirt bike, so won't be doubling all that often and don't really want to spend the extra money for a two-up.

Wouldn't trade my brute for the world. Polaris's are bitches to work on(my cousin works for yamaha and hate Polaris and arctic
Cat for that reason) I'm just not a fan of the can-am in general. You can put a lot of money into a brute before it's in the price range of a can-am

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't trade my brute for the world. Polaris's are bitches to work on(my cousin works for yamaha and hate Polaris and arctic
Cat for that reason) I'm just not a fan of the can-am in general. You can put a lot of money into a brute before it's in the price range of a can-am

We have had '04's, 5's, 7's, '9's and a '10.
400, 500, 700, 800 and now 850. We do all our own work and you come one here spouting that Polaris are bitches to work on because your cousin says so?? unreal

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ride with two brutes and had to work an them both lots. would take my 850 for working on over a brute. the brute can be a real sob to work on.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a guy i work with bought our new quads at the same time this summer, i bought a 2011 outlander 800 and he bought a 2010 850xp. I really like my can am for feel of the power compared to the xp along with the looks and comfy feel as i sit on it. I like his xp for the ride and handling over my can am it is super smooth to ride on the trail. I cant ride as fast as him down a rough trail as it feels really hard on my bike but on his it just floats. I also prefer the all wheel drive of his polaris over the can ams visco lock diff.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out all the machines i have riden with the only one that hasn't had any real issues other than one cv boot that i know of and it is a grissly 700. but it is under powered one lunger. top spot for problems is the 2 brute 750s(fuel pump, a arm bushings, seals leaking,eg) then my 850(2 recalls and one broken spring). but the brutes also have more miles(500 to 1000 more), so there all the same in my books just witch do you perfer to ride. what suits you .

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loved the 850 XP , but yes the power steering failed 1 week after the warranty expired and Polaris wouldn't do anything to help (except of course take almost a month to fix it and charge me $2200.
Going down hills it would kick the rear tires out (sliding and locking up) even in 4x4 ADC. That would make you lose control sometimes. In tough going under high load the SLD inside the trans. Would slip as well.
All that being said it is a great bike very fun with almost the same power as Can-am.
The Can-am ( the 2 up one) is a bit more to handle and does not steer as easy even in Max mode as the Popo was. But overall the Can-am seems to be the better choice more power with about the same fuel usage. Much much longer warranty, comparable ground clearance etc.
Can-am will need skid plates and some sort of snorkel (at least on the exhaust of the belt).
Both machines Can-am or Popo will need brake pads at approximately 1000 km or so depending on riding and conditions etc.

garbage

Reaction score
after years of owning honda,,,, i bought a 2010 can-am 500 outlander max ,,,,,, not sure i could go w/ anything else but a can-am ,,,,,,,,,,p/s rules !!!! and the ride is better then any other one i've rode and have rode em all !!!! CAN-AM RULES IMO!!!!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm riding my honda rincon 680 4500 km's on it never done any more than basic maintenance and ride it hard no logging roads or pussy footing on this one just single tracks,mud,hillclimbs and mountains ! I will be going with a new outlander or the renegade next year I have seen to many yammi's and polaris crap out here in south east bc that it isnt even funny and as for efi and not starting it has never happened once!! yeah honda doesnt have the same power as the others but the reliablity of the things are by far the best out of any of the manufactureers out there!! my vote on this one though is for the can am!

Top Bottom