Study compares electric vehicle charge costs vs. gas — and results were surprising

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the question is, why buy electric cars? Economics? Or trying to pretend that your contributing to climate change? That video I think brings up some great points on the actual cost on EV, and where we are with renewables.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nunavut is 100% oil. Better not buy an EV if you live in Manitoba and have 96% of your electricity generated by hydro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
“eMMisSioNs FreE”

Attachments

• F97A4BF0-0995-41C5-8522-41D9050534F5.jpeg
    F97A4BF0-0995-41C5-8522-41D9050534F5.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 142

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only real advantage of an EV being powered by some type of Hydrocarbon based power generation, is that you can possibly concentrate the emissions at larger sites and develop/advance emission controls and recoup waste more efficiently. I don’t believe we are anywhere near as good as we could be, but there’s always a cost at doing something better.

Where Canadians should focus their efforts is developing and marketing these emission controls to other parts of the world.
Ya ya… Canada has lots of “clean” energy (hydro still has some type of environmental impact), but the rest of the world still relies on dirty energy/power production.

Any Canadian that thinks they’re saving the planet by driving an EV is simply virtue signalling.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from a very good article by Gwyn Morgan. Fact #2 is shocking.

Fact 1: High cost. The federal budget promises a $5000/vehicle rebate. There are 24 million gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles in Canada. Subsidizing replacement of just one million would cost $5 billion. The budget also contains $900 million for new charging stations. That’s helpful in urban centres but providing a charging station network necessary to allow e-vehicles to travel interurban highways would cost tens of billions more.

Fact 2: Revenue needs. The Trudeau government’s longer-term plan is to get rid of all fossil-fueled vehicles. Federal and provincial fuel taxes now total a stunning $22 billion each and every year. These revenues fund the cost of building and maintaining urban streets and highways. How long can it be before governments are forced to regain those revenues from electrical vehicle charging levies?

Fact 3: Grid stress. The average Canadian motorist drives 15,000 km per year and the average electric passenger vehicle uses 19 kw/hr per 100 km. That works out to 2,850 kw/hr per year, more than 25 per cent of current Canadian household consumption. Many of the country’s electrical generation and distribution grids are already near capacity. Electric vehicle advocates say the problem will be mitigated by mandating low amperage during off-peak, late-night hours. But most highway drivers travel during the day when the grid is near capacity. And they will need high-amperage DC quick-chargers during these already supply-tight hours.

Fact 4: Land demand. Refueling with gasoline or diesel takes around five minutes. But even rapid chargers need 30 minutes. That means six times more land occupied by charging stations. How much of that land will be taken from agricultural production?

Fact 5: More emissions, not fewer. Canada’s 24 million fossil-fueled cars and pickup trucks emit 14 per cent of the country’s 1.5 per cent share of global emissions. If all 24 million were converted to battery power, global emissions would be reduced by just two-tenths of one per cent. Emissions growth from China’s coal-fired power plants would offset that in just a few days. And that two-tenths of a per cent doesn’t count emissions produced from mining and transporting the materials that go into all those batteries. Nor does it consider that 20 per cent of Canada’s electricity is generated with fossil fuels.

Those factors clearly wipe out any benefit, unless we include the benefit that living a fantasy allows people, our leader included, not to have to think about all those Ukrainians we could have saved by helping Europe say “no” to Russia’s oil — if only our oil industry hadn’t been hamstrung.

Gwyn Morgan is a retired business leader who has been a director of five global corporations.

This article taken from :

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/top...tasies/ar-AAY26U4?ocid=mailsignout&li=AAggNb9

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep going to be a huge cost to build all the new infrastructure.

Lithium prices will go through the roof when they are trying to produce mass batteries.. I have a lithium battery in my car, it’s $2300 and this is an ICE car, not EV lol.

Anyone notice how long their iPhone battery life span is? Unless they increase that, there could be limits to the technology..

Remember when there is a cold snap or heat wave and the power grid/plants can barely keep up? What will happen when there is millions of cars plugged in over night.. where’s all the extra power going to come from?
my wife has the first I phone.still has the factory battery.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my wife has the first I phone.still has the factory battery.

We have older iPhones as well, the kids use them as iPods, they definitely have to be charged after 10 hrs of use and do not require the power like the newer iPhones.
My old iPhone 7 is basically useless due to the condition of the battery It will not last 3 hrs without needing to be charged, and that’s on standby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went home for a funeral this weekend my youngest brother told me how great their two electric cars are. How they both can plug them in at work for free. I said cool let’s go take one for a drive. Then he told me they left them at home and rented a ice car for the 250km drive because they didn’t want to deal with finding charging stations on the way or in our home town LOL sounds great to me

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went home for a funeral this weekend my youngest brother told me how great their two electric cars are. How they both can plug them in at work for free. I said cool let’s go take one for a drive. Then he told me they left them at home and rented a ice car for the 250km drive because they didn’t want to deal with finding charging stations on the way or in our home town LOL sounds great to me

Where do you live? You ain’t got no electricity in that town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RGM

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a big issue for EV's is the economics of charging stations. With ICE vehicles everyone must refuel at a gas station, you can't fill at home or produce your own fuel, so if you're a gas station owner if someone isn't filling at your station they're filling at your competitors.

EV's don't work that way, many people with EV's, especially the early adopters wealthy enough to purchase one, will likely have the ability to charge at home. Margins on electricity sold at commercial stations would have to be kept low to compete with residential chargers, and most people likely wouldn't spend 45 minutes waiting for their car to charge at a commercial station when they could just do it at home. Likely making it un-profitable to build a charging station to profit from.

All of this poses an issue for travelling if charging stations don't exist. Being the reason Tesla has their own charging network, but it isn't developing fast enough yet to solve the issue.

Top Bottom