Study compares electric vehicle charge costs vs. gas — and results were surprising

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a big issue for EV's is the economics of charging stations. With ICE vehicles everyone must refuel at a gas station, you can't fill at home or produce your own fuel, so if you're a gas station owner if someone isn't filling at your station they're filling at your competitors.

EV's don't work that way, many people with EV's, especially the early adopters wealthy enough to purchase one, will likely have the ability to charge at home. Margins on electricity sold at commercial stations would have to be kept low to compete with residential chargers, and most people likely wouldn't spend 45 minutes waiting for their car to charge at a commercial station when they could just do it at home. Likely making it un-profitable to build a charging station to profit from.

All of this poses an issue for travelling if charging stations don't exist. Being the reason Tesla has their own charging network, but it isn't developing fast enough yet to solve the issue.

If you can’t charge at home. Don’t buy an EV.
If you want to go on a road trip buy a Tesla or get an ICE vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really doesn't make sense does it? actually most of this green save the planet doesn't either!
Not necessarily - NL is principally hydro however much is taken by hydro Quebec and resold to QB / ON and northeast US .....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily - NL is principally hydro however much is taken by hydro Quebec and resold to QB / ON and northeast US .....

NL could be different, this info was NS.

as to the green crap my opinion still stands, going green is only going to make you so much poorer.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like NL is primarily Hydro Power, majority of which is sold to quebec

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like NL is primarily Hydro Power, majority of which is sold to quebec
Taken not sold in a lop sided deal with no escalation clause basically because NL wasn't "permitted" to wheel power through Quebec ...same $hit as the present inability to flow gas through Quebec ...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a warning for Tesla owners there is a shortage of gas rental vehicles to get you to your destination.

I heard on the internet you can’t leave the city limits so I just don’t even try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not consider hydro “green” that dam in Labrador was a gong show from the start.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not consider hydro “green” that dam in Labrador was a gong show from the start.

Why is using the gravitational potential energy of flowing water not “green”?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is using the gravitational potential energy of flowing water not “green”?

How its built. 20 years of diesel burnt to make that disaster.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That "gong show" has made billions for Quebec since the early '70s ....
Most recent dam was and will continue to be a white elephant for NL for many years due to corrupt management / greed / egos but the original dam was on time / on budget and will generate billions for years to come

Top Bottom