800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true ... mabe u been lucky.....:d but i have seen tons of posts in here and other sites with doing the double box mod.... so thats where i'm coming from
I saw lots of people leave costco with new generators in Dec 1999...they didn't need 'em either. :d

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured that Smkgnsnv was onto something when he posted those crushed Zillas a while back. I like it!

Steve & Ken did a really good job along with Paul (rubberdown customs ) setting that bike up for that kinda riding, and it worked very well..that being said is it the ideal set up for trails ,off camber , skeg probably not.

I would not take this race to seriously , but the bike with power and the right setup did come out on top...

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It definetly has a lot to do with how the bike is set up. Mine is set up for the skeg how I like it cause that's what I spend most my time riding in and enjoy it a lot. I wish I could say I never get stuck but then I wouldn't be riding hard enough or testing myself or machine like I enjoy doing. But hell I would love to try some mud pit racing that's for sure.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for me, i was running wide front and back and my front end wanted to come up all the time...Still made out well though. It is a blast .

With the table top in the middle if you hit it too hard you just launch it...Don`t ask me how i know that,plus after the jump you have so much mud in your face you can`t see where the hell you going.All this is happening at WFO as well....lol

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for me, i was running wide front and back and my front end wanted to come up all the time...Still made out well though. It is a blast .

With the table top in the middle if you hit it too hard you just launch it...Don`t ask me how i know that,plus after the jump you have so much mud in your face you can`t see where the hell you going.All this is happening at WFO as well....lol

I know.. I saw one Renegade fly off it. Looks like he had a rather hard landing too. After that a few others might have backed off the throttle before hitting that WFO.

Also, ever think about investing in goggles? :d

shenry

Reaction score
09 850's have a 2 part SLD, where the 10's and 11's have a 1 part SLD. There is no way you shoud slide around with the adc on. With mine on I could take a nap while going down a hill if i wanted. I could maybe see with just the engine brake kicking in and locking the back tires.
Thanks for this information. I tried my 2011 Limited Edition again this weekend with all the comments from these forums in mind. I tried going down a steep hill in 2wd that had about 5 inches of pine needles for traction and the quad slid down the hill like a tobogan. I tried again with the adc on and the bike literally came to a stop, like a standard drive car in first gear, from 20 km to pretty much an instant stop, I tried several times to make it lose control but it wouldn't.

The engine braking is incredible and I don't see why anyone would ever have to use the brakes on this quad. I used my quad from Thursday to Sunday and would bet I never cleaned the rust from the disc's.

I have read that this quad has a touchy throttle and it's hard to get into or out of tight spots, like loading the bike into your truck without going through your back window. I will say the throttle is a bit sensitive but not a lot, this is nice to have on the trails where you want power right away and have no idea that you are driving an AWD bike, I still find it smooth and have adjusted well. For a novice rider I would suggest holding the break and fluttering the gas. I learned this trick driving argo's as you can limit your impact on rocks and stumps with all kinds of control with the brakes on...this will not hurt your brakes, high speed stops will. But for anyone starting out on this quad you might say the throttle is sensitive but as you get used to it you will come to appreciate it.

Never have been a fan of AWD as I owned a Polaris 500 HO in the past and as you approach logs or rocks in which the front tires need to climb over you would constantly be giving the quad extra throttle to lift the front of the machine over the log because the fronts don't grab until the back tires slip 1/5 of a spin. As one shootout article claimed...with the 850 xp you do not realize that this quad is AWD and I have to agree, there is no terrain where you have to give this quad extra throttle to lift the front tires over an obstacle. The engine in this quad never has to be pushed, there is never a lag, it just simply drives in high or low gear.

If you wear your belt out in high gear then I have to say this is driver error. With 70 hp under the hood you have to be mindfull of what you are doing, ask yourself do I have bigger than stock tires? am I pulling a load? etc....if you had 40-50 hp you would likely never have a problem regardless. But if you are smart then when you need 70hp in the right way then it's right under your thumb, and that's a great feeling.

The quad is heavy which is great for pulling a load and for extra traction but I will say I have bottomed the stock tires out this weekend and felt the rim get scraped. My suggestion would be to get smaller rims with more tire or bigger tires to absorb these kinds of impacts. Again this is driver error a little but it wouldn't hurt to get a smaller rim if possible.

Nice quad by the way, I bought new bumpers and hand gaurds and just put them on. Would you know how big I can go with the tires without lifting the bike? I may stay away from a skid plate as it collects dirt and I never really bottoms out anywhere.

Also, what is the difference betwwen 4x4 mode and downhill assist (ADC) why not just have one mode with 4x4 and downhill assist combined?

All around, I still have no big complaints, I was skeptical of the plastic racks but they hold up well. I strap coolers down real hard and the hooks on the straps do not hurt the plastic, not tested in the cold yet. The plastic surface is a bit slippery but the coolers never move with the straps. I still may get a non slip rhino spray for the plastic top surface. I cut a lot of trail this weekend and being tired and all I never wanted to get of of this machine on the way to camp, I can't say that for any other vehicle I have ever driven, there was a lazy boy chair waiting for me at the camp, I prefered to take an extra drive with the quad and can't wait to get back on it.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. I tried my 2011 Limited Edition again this weekend with all the comments from these forums in mind. I tried going down a steep hill in 2wd that had about 5 inches of pine needles for traction and the quad slid down the hill like a tobogan. I tried again with the adc on and the bike literally came to a stop, like a standard drive car in first gear, from 20 km to pretty much an instant stop, I tried several times to make it lose control but it wouldn't.

The engine braking is incredible and I don't see why anyone would ever have to use the brakes on this quad. I used my quad from Thursday to Sunday and would bet I never cleaned the rust from the disc's.

I have read that this quad has a touchy throttle and it's hard to get into or out of tight spots, like loading the bike into your truck without going through your back window. I will say the throttle is a bit sensitive but not a lot, this is nice to have on the trails where you want power right away and have no idea that you are driving an AWD bike, I still find it smooth and have adjusted well. For a novice rider I would suggest holding the break and fluttering the gas. I learned this trick driving argo's as you can limit your impact on rocks and stumps with all kinds of control with the brakes on...this will not hurt your brakes, high speed stops will. But for anyone starting out on this quad you might say the throttle is sensitive but as you get used to it you will come to appreciate it.

Never have been a fan of AWD as I owned a Polaris 500 HO in the past and as you approach logs or rocks in which the front tires need to climb over you would constantly be giving the quad extra throttle to lift the front of the machine over the log because the fronts don't grab until the back tires slip 1/5 of a spin. As one shootout article claimed...with the 850 xp you do not realize that this quad is AWD and I have to agree, there is no terrain where you have to give this quad extra throttle to lift the front tires over an obstacle. The engine in this quad never has to be pushed, there is never a lag, it just simply drives in high or low gear.

If you wear your belt out in high gear then I have to say this is driver error. With 70 hp under the hood you have to be mindfull of what you are doing, ask yourself do I have bigger than stock tires? am I pulling a load? etc....if you had 40-50 hp you would likely never have a problem regardless. But if you are smart then when you need 70hp in the right way then it's right under your thumb, and that's a great feeling.

The quad is heavy which is great for pulling a load and for extra traction but I will say I have bottomed the stock tires out this weekend and felt the rim get scraped. My suggestion would be to get smaller rims with more tire or bigger tires to absorb these kinds of impacts. Again this is driver error a little but it wouldn't hurt to get a smaller rim if possible.

Nice quad by the way, I bought new bumpers and hand gaurds and just put them on. Would you know how big I can go with the tires without lifting the bike? I may stay away from a skid plate as it collects dirt and I never really bottoms out anywhere.

Also, what is the difference betwwen 4x4 mode and downhill assist (ADC) why not just have one mode with 4x4 and downhill assist combined?

All around, I still have no big complaints, I was skeptical of the plastic racks but they hold up well. I strap coolers down real hard and the hooks on the straps do not hurt the plastic, not tested in the cold yet. The plastic surface is a bit slippery but the coolers never move with the straps. I still may get a non slip rhino spray for the plastic top surface. I cut a lot of trail this weekend and being tired and all I never wanted to get of of this machine on the way to camp, I can't say that for any other vehicle I have ever driven, there was a lazy boy chair waiting for me at the camp, I prefered to take an extra drive with the quad and can't wait to get back on it.

You can't put on any rim smaller than a 14" on the xp. You need 14's to clear the brake rotors. The difference between ADC 4x4 and AWD, is ADC is for decents where your going about 15mph or slower. ADC displaces the secondary clutch through a little hydraulic piston. You don't need ADC all the time so thats why you have the AWD option too.

My suggestion to bottoming out would be to stiffen up your preload adjusters.. Much cheaper alternative.

I've owned the xp and the power is nice, though I have noticed with other twin cylinder engines they spool up quicker than the Polaris.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

shenry

Reaction score
You can't put on any rim smaller than a 14" on the xp. You need 14's to clear the brake rotors. The difference between ADC 4x4 and AWD, is ADC is for decents where your going about 15mph or slower. ADC displaces the secondary clutch through a little hydraulic piston. You don't need ADC all the time so thats why you have the AWD option too.

My suggestion to bottoming out would be to stiffen up your preload adjusters.. Much cheaper alternative.

I've owned the xp and the power is nice, though I have noticed with other twin cylinder engines they spool up quicker than the Polaris.

Sent from my white iPhone 4
Thanks for the info, but I don't have any problems with bottoming out or suspension. What I have noticed is when I clip the side of a rock the tires are not taking the impact so well and the rim gets hit, no damge yet but I am weary that I may pinch the tire against the rim and blow a tire. A shootout review claimed blowing out a tire on this bike and I can see why. I can be more careful, or I will buy a bigger tire if I cannot get a smaller rim. Thanks again for the info.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ADC Engagement:
When the AWD switch is activated, a 12 volt dc current is present at the input shaft coil(1). Operation is controlled by the ECU grounding and ungrounding the coil.The coils magnetic field attracts a splined armature plate (2) on the pinion (input) shaft. (4). The energised splined armature plate attracts the unsplined eccentric cam(3), which begins to turn with the input shaft. The eccentric cam drives a hydraulic piston/pump assembly (5). The pressure created by the pump assembly forces fluid through passages to the piston assemblies (6) located in each case half. Hydraulic pressure forces the piston assemblies inward to compress the splined clutch packs (7) forming a dynamic coupling to each front drive axle, resulting in true all-wheel EBS operationupon deceleration.

It does not operate the brakes, and has nothing to do with the drive clutches.

I copied from another forum as i am to lazy to type it all out.

The reason you dont want it on all the time is it is alot of extra wear and tear that is not needed all the time.
And as for bottoming out I had to put the HL spring in the rear of mine cause I double all the time and noticed it sags a bit to much with two people on the machine.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is all in the set up. i would take Seth Russell's lifted 30" crushlock can-am rene over any thing that was there in Rimbey.. (watch mountains and mud 5, if you want to know who seth is)...

crushlocks make a huge difference, don't kid yourselfs.... set up Don's machine for strictly mud racing and i think the results will be a little different.
And again, sorry to say it, but if you compare the professional bike's that have professional sponsership, why is it that the hams have dominated the mud racing in the US for so many years... they are all on the same level playing field, they all have unlimited funds to win but only one brand dominates.. howcome? polaris and kawi spend lots on there pro's, don't kid yourself.. just as much as ham does, along with suzuki in the Gncc XC1 league. For all you hard core mud racers, you should do yourself's a favor and attend a National Pro Race. There you will see what it takes to build a machine like that.. not just from magazines but from the mouths of the racers.
You have to experience it, can't read about it or watch it on tv.. you got to be there. Being there give you a true insight on true mud machines... just like i do for GNCC> cross country riding.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I don't have any problems with bottoming out or suspension. What I have noticed is when I clip the side of a rock the tires are not taking the impact so well and the rim gets hit, no damge yet but I am weary that I may pinch the tire against the rim and blow a tire. A shootout review claimed blowing out a tire on this bike and I can see why. I can be more careful, or I will buy a bigger tire if I cannot get a smaller rim. Thanks again for the info.

Increase tire pressure or fine another tire with more side wall.

Stock XP rims are notorious for breaking, find an aftermarket set. I had ITPSS 312's on my XP, the tires where Maxxis 'Zillas. They where a good combo for this quad.

Silicone the SS caps in though, they have a tendancy to fall out. I lost mine on the first quad rally of the year.

shenry

Reaction score
Increase tire pressure or fine another tire with more side wall.

Stock XP rims are notorious for breaking, find an aftermarket set. I had ITPSS 312's on my XP, the tires where Maxxis 'Zillas. They where a good combo for this quad.

Silicone the SS caps in though, they have a tendancy to fall out. I lost mine on the first quad rally of the year.

Thanks again, I think at some point everyone changes out their tires, except for the Arctic cat and Bombardier's swamper quads that are coming out come with some big tires, however I will be looking to get some more side-wall coverage and may keep the height I am at. The trails I am on are full of slants and steep hills that get into good likely never touched lakes for fishing so these are my primary riding goals. Lifting my bike makes it more tippy on the slants, maybe I can offset this with spacers, however I would need a longer wheelbase to stop from flipping backwards because the taller you make your quad (like a tall tree) the easier it is to fall over, so ground clearance has to have a happy median somewhere. I will be shopping for tires and take a look at the Zilla's, I may go an inch taller but I am still not sure if I need to lift the bike, does anyone know? Can I put spacers in?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks again, I think at some point everyone changes out their tires, except for the Arctic cat and Bombardier's swamper quads that are coming out come with some big tires, however I will be looking to get some more side-wall coverage and may keep the height I am at. The trails I am on are full of slants and steep hills that get into good likely never touched lakes for fishing so these are my primary riding goals. Lifting my bike makes it more tippy on the slants, maybe I can offset this with spacers, however I would need a longer wheelbase to stop from flipping backwards because the taller you make your quad (like a tall tree) the easier it is to fall over, so ground clearance has to have a happy median somewhere. I will be shopping for tires and take a look at the Zilla's, I may go an inch taller but I am still not sure if I need to lift the bike, does anyone know? Can I put spacers in?

I did a 1" offset on each corner of my XP. You can just get off-set rims. This is cheaper than getting new rims and using spacers. It's generally stronger too.

If your worried about lifting and tipping your quad, you should get a raked lift, they cost 100 bucks more than just a regular lift. They have a new set of rear A-arms that push the rear end out making it longer. I believe CATVOS's raked lift is 3" more lift, and a 2" rake.

Then again, if you aren't mud bogging and don't require the extra clearence, then you don't need a lift, that option is always there though.

Remember, a 1" increase in tire size results in a 0.5" increase in GC. Whereas a 2" increase in tire size is a 1" increase in GC.

Depending on how much mud you ride, it sounds like the stock tires are doing just fine but you need more side wall. Id suggest getting the Maxxis BigHorn 2.0. This will have more grip and still offer a smooth ride and still do decent in mud. Perfect trail tire.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a 1" offset on each corner of my XP. You can just get off-set rims. This is cheaper than getting new rims and using spacers. It's generally stronger too.

If your worried about lifting and tipping your quad, you should get a raked lift, they cost 100 bucks more than just a regular lift. They have a new set of rear A-arms that push the rear end out making it longer. I believe CATVOS's raked lift is 3" more lift, and a 2" rake.

Then again, if you aren't mud bogging and don't require the extra clearence, then you don't need a lift, that option is always there though.

Remember, a 1" increase in tire size results in a 0.5" increase in GC. Whereas a 2" increase in tire size is a 1" increase in GC.

Depending on how much mud you ride, it sounds like the stock tires are doing just fine but you need more side wall. Id suggest getting the Maxxis BigHorn 2.0. This will have more grip and still offer a smooth ride and still do decent in mud. Perfect trail tire.

could'nt have said it better!

shenry

Reaction score

That,s good to hear and thanks for the help again, this is great information, definatly going with the offset rims and will look into the lift if I can get the same length to height ratio back in this quad then I may consider a lift as well and pick some tires. Thanks again.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the xp needs is highlifter springs and the front bracket lift from rubberdown customs. That will give you all the clearence you will ever need most likly and will not sacrifice handling at all if you add the after market rims/tires...
Here is mine with 30 inch tires,i have a little over 18 inchs clearence...So even with 28`s you will go through most places ......

ProRMK

Reaction score
I went with the bighorns on my 850 using one size wider but the same height and used a new wheel that was offset out an 1 to 1 1/2" and wider wheel. Worked great except went riding in a couple new areas and around here there are trail limitations for 4 wheelers to be 50" or less for 2 track trails. There are bridges they build that will only allow this. I was a couple inches too wide and could not go. Went back and put those tires on my stock wheels and they work well. Wheel was an inch narrower so it causes the tires to ballon a tad bit more but it seems to protect the wheels from rubbing on rocks but not enough to cause a problem. Sure does ride a lot nicer than the stock tires...

Top Bottom