Snowmobile boot vs. Snowboard boots.

klswine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the guys with snowboard boots think about there stiffness as well as weight. And what the guys that are wearing snowmobile boots think. Sportchek has snowboard boots for 80$ wonder if it is worth it? Thanks for the advice.:d:beer:

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wore my snowboard boots all last year and had no problems. My snowboard boots aren't that stiff though

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have worn $99.00 snowboard boots from Sport Mart for the last 4 years. They work great but I have worn holes through both boots (and now my socks get wet) where the bolts go through the tunnel and attach to the skid. I guess I hold on too tight with my feet !
I am going to buy a pair of HMK Pro Boas this year and give them a try.
Just waiting for my next trip down to the states to pick them up.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im runnin the hmk pro boas and i LOVE them they are really stuff tho ....great for riding but you wont be slipping them on to go downtown:d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for boots a few years ago I tried lots of snowboard boots because there were some awesome deals to be had on them. The one thing I didn't like was the angle of the boot as most snowboard boots will have a slight to moderate forward position to them. I didn't even find them comfortable to walk around the store with them on, how would it feel after several hours of riding.

I ended up with some Columbia titanium winter boots that really looked like the ski-doo boots a few seasons ago for under $100. They were on clearance at Wholesale Sports in Calgary. They always have good deals on footwear. They are still okay and I haven't felt the need to drop a few hundred on boots.

If you like the feel of the snowboard boots then go for it.

hashbrowns

Reaction score
what ever you do dont go to walmart and buy boots.. i did that last season and the boots are great but for jumpin and stuff there really hard on the back of your feet caseu there is no support.. i couldnt walk last january because of it.. put still put in a moauntain trip for no walk:d

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do it.

I have a good pair of snow board boots if you want to buy em. My feet were wet in them all the time. I finally figured out that snow was melting off the hood cover and water was dropping on the top of the boot. The tongue of the boot is not "completely sealed", there were little holes at the bottom. I'm sure snow would never get in, but warm water dripping on it all day long was another thing. My feet were alway very wet and often cold.

I end up buying some Klim boots and I am much happier now. You can poor water on the Klim's all day long and no problem. I sure other brands of "snowmobile" specific boots would be fine too.

Same old story, buy gear meant for another sport and you risk discovering some reason why it is not suitable for our sport. Then you get to spend money on both the bad gear and the gear you should have gotten. And that's more expensive then just buying good gear every time.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowboard boots all the way (vans,32,)super light weight ,comfortable and way more water proof than any snowmobile boot.Snowboarding appareal is years ahead of klim ,slednecks,hmk,way lighter, more waterproof and flexable.But buy whatever you want.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear snowboard boots for sledding and have done so since about 2000. I wear Thirty Two snowboard boots and also have a backup pair of Burtons(both are very good boots). Nothing beats the support, warmth, comfort and ability to keep my feet dry. I almost have all my riding buddies trading in their snowmobile boots and wearing snowboard boots now:d

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to wear my DC snowboard boots and they were awesome. Only reason I quit wearing them is they were getting worn out and I decided if I wore them till they were completely wore out I would probably never replace them and never ride my board again. (I find it hard to get off the sled to ride the board) Now I wear Klim boots and there great. Dont be afraid to wear snowboard boots, just get a good pair and you'll be fine.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have both and the only problem I had with the snowboard boots, were the lace hooks at the top tore one of my seats. My wife chewed her seat up bad until I figured out what caused it. I then noticed a tiny snag on mine as well. Because of that we changed out boots to sledding boots.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with the lace hooks tearing the seat? Doesn't your pants cover the tops of the boots, the snow guard in the inside of pants usually has a little hook on it which you are supposed to hook around the bottom laces that way it won't ride up exposing the top of the boot. My only problem with wear of the boots is that the sole up near the toe gets a little worn when a guy kicks the snow off his running boards. The running board grips are a little ruff on the boot, (ecspecially on the phazer mtx running board ) but that will tear up any boot.:d

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to wear my DC snowboard boots and they were awesome. Only reason I quit wearing them is they were getting worn out and I decided if I wore them till they were completely wore out I would probably never replace them and never ride my board again. (I find it hard to get off the sled to ride the board) Now I wear Klim boots and there great. Dont be afraid to wear snowboard boots, just get a good pair and you'll be fine.

Never replace them? Every summer and fall, snowboard shops have huge sales in which all riding gear is between 40 and 70% off. That would get a guy a really good pair of snowboard boots for $100-$200. Those boots with hard snowboarding and sledding should last 4-5 years, maybe more. Small price to pay. With hard riding those klim or HMK boots won't last as long as snowboard boots,( been there, less than two seasons on a pair of HMK boots) and at $200+ a pair a guy could just keep getting new current models of snowboard boots which are getting lighter, warmer and more comfy every year. A person has to realize that snowboard boot technology goes back almost 30 years ish. Snowmobile boot companies have been around for less than a decade. Before there was snowmobile boots people all wore sorels and insulated rubber boots or whatever they could find. Just saying that the R&D behind snowboard boots is far greater and better so the boots will reflect that.:d

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had both & swear by the Klim GORETEX 100% of the way. No comparison in my opinion. Had to walk a little in a creek one day with the Klims on......nice & dry at the end. Snowboard books will break down & wear out before the Klims will. Bought the HMK Pro Boas last year also, just to try them...... a little too stiff for me but still great boots. I have the Klim from 3 years ago, the FXR white boot(cant think of model) & the HMK........Klim all the way!!!:beer:

RN

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
So the concensus I'm seeing is that I should buy the Klim's if I can afford it, otherwise snowboard boots will do for this season and I can get them next year when the bank account has recovered from buying a new XP?? Works for me.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have worn $50 snowboard boots from Sportcheck for that past 4 years... I even lost them one summer and went and bought the exact same boots again. I love them, comfy, warm, supportive and cheap.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowboard boots all the way (vans,32,)super light weight ,comfortable and way more water proof than any snowmobile boot.Snowboarding appareal is years ahead of klim ,slednecks,hmk,way lighter, more waterproof and flexable.But buy whatever you want.

I've tried wearing my DC and Burton board boots but way to much forward stiffness. Not comfortable for jumping side to side and sitting or standing on your sled. And if you should end up having to walk a ways....not comfortable! They do provide better support than most(not all) sled boots though. My guess is PowderSlut that you've never tried on a pair of Klim boots. The wife and I both bought Klim Adrenalines this past weekend at the BCSF Show and I find these way lighter than any snowboard boot I've ever owned. Lots of support and Gortex quality..."Breathable". I'm not sure where you're getting your info from that "snowboard apparel is years ahead of Klim...etc" You and I both know that just isn't true. Both industries carry garbage gear and both have their high end quality gear. You have to compare apples to apples.:beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So the concensus I'm seeing is that I should buy the Klim's if I can afford it, otherwise snowboard boots will do for this season and I can get them next year when the bank account has recovered from buying a new XP?? Works for me.

While you are waiting for the bank account to grow, take a trip to Mark's and buy a pair of Kamik's (the old fashioned insulated rubber boots for $29.95) and try them for the winter. They are great in the creeks, easy to put on snowshoes, great for walking, and that is 3 pairs for $100!! Just buys a little more beer or some fancy stuff for the hotpot.....

I doo have to take them apart every night and dry them out because of sweaty feet but that is no big deal! At least they come apart and the moisture evapourates pretty easy.

Top Bottom