Gen 5 skid plate options

POWslayer420

Reaction score
Am on the fence about adding a skid plate to my new freeride. Those who have experience with the skid plate, what are the major pros and cons? I like the idea of more protection, but it being plastic and not aluminum is a hard sell for me. It looks weak, quite bulky, and prone to filling with snow and ice by the a arms and such. Likely adding weight and wrecking steering boots.
I havnt had a skidder on my other sleds and had no issues, but they also werent $30k. I was planning on just running my backwoods NSP bumper, but would have to make a switch to the SP to run this plate.
Looking for real examples/stories of why it's good or why it's junk or if there is a better more durable (aluminum) option?
Thanks all

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They add protection. And a little weight. Basically that’s all that can be said. Can’t see there being any other con.

POWslayer420

Reaction score
They add protection. And a little weight. Basically that’s all that can be said. Can’t see there being any other con.
Thanks. Already knew that much. Looking for real riders with some backcountry hours on it to attest to its strength/durability, and the ice pack on the boots. Don't want to spend $250 on something and swap my new bumper for minimal protection and frozen/ripped boots after each ride.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the full size protectors on two of my G4’s and they do hold a bunch of snow and ice but I never had any issues with that and the boots but I always trailer home at the end of the day. If I left the sled out maybe that snow would freeze solid and be a problem for the boots.
I didn’t put one on my G5 because I don’t think they offer much protection. Prolly the better choice is to get RPM Composites eco kit which protects the heat exchanger, brake and chain case but it is more expensive.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Snoflake maybe you should change you user name to Snoflake420 the you would have real back country cred. LOL

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this is a question. Its called a skid plate for a reason. I will not run a sled without one. They protect the s module from cut off trees etc.

That bumper will transfer the energy of an impact into the s module. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gay doo extreme skid with doo bumper. Fits wicked. Absolute two things I do on mountain sleds are, skid plate, and no carbides. Run Wear bars only in case you touch a rock. Carbides Grab onto them like teeth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 79

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually don't run a skid plate, but some times it ends up costing you.

Early season its not a bad plan though.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gay doo extreme skid with doo bumper. Fits wicked. Absolute two things I do on mountain sleds are, skid plate, and no carbides. Run Wear bars only in case you touch a rock. Carbides Grab onto them like teeth.
I've been running those XC bumpers till last year. They are all kinds of ugly now, but i will say they offer the best protection as far as bumpers go. We have broken a couple over the last couple years, and they take a pretty serious hit, without damaging the hood, pipe etc. 100% on the wear bars. Carbides are like front brakes.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran The new deep snow skid plate on my 23 G5 last year. dosent hold as much snow as previous model skid plates. Steering never got heavy boots never ripped. I never wrecked anything underneath so it did its job. It’s a couple hundred bucks small amount for a piece of mind but you do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where would someone find those sweet sled dollies?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where would someone find those sweet sled dollies?
I got them at carbidesavers.com. They’re made in the states. You can literally go up and down round curbs , across gravel and lawn into your trailer. They kick ass. They were regretfully expensive, but now that I own them I’m very happy. I Put some tire slime in the tires they never leak.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I modified mine so it doesn't hold snow. BRP once has once similar to this modification.

Attachments

• pan bumper.jpg
    pan bumper.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 83
  • pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom