Predictions on the used market?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna start fishing for a new (er) sled in the spring for my dad (anything 2016 to 2020? if the price is right - no budget yet maybe $5-8K?). Seeing lots of "price dropper" sales at the stealership now they have stock again, and someone made a comment "why buy used when new prices are so low?", got me thinking about how much they jacked the prices over the last couple years and are now selling floor stock cheaper than what their loyal customers owe on their 1-2 yr old sleds. Lots of guys upside down on sleds now and owe more than its worth.

Not a fan of the local dealer to begin with, and now seeing how they are screwing over folks just makes me shake my head. How are people feeling about the used market coming up? Whats the prediction? Prices going to drop a ton, stay level, go up? What are you seeing? Was thinking sometime in April will be the trigger pull so he has a chance to get a ride or 2 in on it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have dropped so much there's not much room to drop further. The dealers blowing out old stock seem to moving it so those sales will dry up over the next few weeks. We are midway through Jan which is when sled sales usually go quiet anyway so no meaningful move up or down until next fall is my prediction.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven’t been looking at dealerships. But I do look at Facebook marketplace daily, if not almost hourly, lol. I honestly can’t believe the price of some sleds, like a 2021 skidoo or Polaris for less than $10,000 and maybe 2000 miles/kilometers. They sell a man I don’t know. Seems like it’s getting worse.

I don’t think you’ll have any problem finding jalapeño in April for something new wish in the 8000 range

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was chatting with a buddy about this on Monday, friend of his was trying to sell his 2018 doo 850 165. Started at $8000, no interest until he got down to $6500.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If like previous years,the manufacturers will keep dropping or add warranty until February but then will suddenly shut down the incentives to prepare for snowcheck. Why order a snowcheck if there are hold-overs for 1/2 price? It is bad for business. The used market follows the new market, up and down.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna start fishing for a new (er) sled in the spring for my dad (anything 2016 to 2020? if the price is right - no budget yet maybe $5-8K?). Seeing lots of "price dropper" sales at the stealership now they have stock again, and someone made a comment "why buy used when new prices are so low?", got me thinking about how much they jacked the prices over the last couple years and are now selling floor stock cheaper than what their loyal customers owe on their 1-2 yr old sleds. Lots of guys upside down on sleds now and owe more than its worth.

Not a fan of the local dealer to begin with, and now seeing how they are screwing over folks just makes me shake my head. How are people feeling about the used market coming up? Whats the prediction? Prices going to drop a ton, stay level, go up? What are you seeing? Was thinking sometime in April will be the trigger pull so he has a chance to get a ride or 2 in on it.
I’ve been in this same situation for a few years now …. Still looking for the right deal.
This is a bubble, and I'm not prepared to pay these inflated prices…
New iron with the latest wizardry will always fetch the top dollar, but I feel like noncurrent and new used should be taking a beating starting now…

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa it had a brand new brp shortblock otherwise 1500

Ya that seems to be the going rate. Thing is 1500$ is fawk all these days. So when i look at the sled, and then think about trading it for 1500. Just cant do it..

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been looking to buy a used sled for awhile now and at my age I have dialed it back in the aggression department but everything I have looked at has many km on it and overpriced if you factor in the cost to put a top end in them but there will be one for right price if I keep looking

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I traded mine in on a new one in october. new one was discounted and I got what I wanted for the old sled. The new G5 is very nice.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that seems to be the going rate. Thing is 1500$ is fawk all these days. So when i look at the sled, and then think about trading it for 1500. Just cant do it..
Yes not worth getting rid of if you use it once in a while. Problem I had was seven sleds in the garage so got rid of that one and a 19 summit X 165.

Warranty doesn't mean anything to me and paying for extended may as well light your wallet on fire. If they are past warranty price accordingly and sell of if you keep and blow up just put an engine in it. This is a disposable income recreational activity.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the snow really killed the used and new markets this year. You wont see prices as low as they are now unless we get another Bunk Nov/Dec. People aren't walking into dealerships to buy snowmobiles unless there is snow on the ground. This triggers rebates etc to move that stock
Agree with that. Most are impulse buyers and snow influences that.

Top Bottom