How Many KM's before rebuild?

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many km's / miles do you have on your xp? Just hit 3000km on mine end of last year and wondering when is the "right" time to rebuild the top end to stay mostly worry free. I am thinking one more season but Let's hear how many km everyone has.

HardcoreRMK

Reaction score
wait till you notice that there isn't as much power...then put billet stuff back in then you can go longer....

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your compression. That will tell you what you should do.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, what year sled?

Second, even by doing things like compression checks will not always reveal scoring, or crank run out issues.

3000km, should be good. Altough on my 09 I happend to pull the head off at 3500km and it needed a new top end in a bad way. Likely the result of snow injestion, although I am not convinced.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, what year sled?

Second, even by doing things like compression checks will not always reveal scoring, or crank run out issues.

3000km, should be good. Altough on my 09 I happend to pull the head off at 3500km and it needed a new top end in a bad way. Likely the result of snow injestion, although I am not convinced.
Was there scoring on the intake side only?

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Ride it till 5000. Throw a set of pistons in then. Ride till 7000km. Then replacev motor. That's about what our xps have been going for

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

your sled has already eclipsed 10,000 has it not? One set of pistons? Shut your hole

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your sled has already eclipsed 10,000 has it not? One set of pistons? Shut your hole

I need the maxwell discount. Little bro puttin his 800 r together. Let me know if you can do better than 76 a ring. Thanks ( even I fit costs me beer)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3000k is a good time to swap out the pistons. I let my REV go for 4500 and the piston skirt let go and grenaded the case. Compression was still up there, Pistons still had the machine marks and the moly on them.

$325 is cheap peace of mind. Get a set of MCB dual rings from Kore and don't look back.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for the Mcb's from kore.

Have 5 800r's that have them now and what a difference. No more power fade , or pop after u shut it off after a good pull.

Going to do mine if I keep it

Have 1300 miles on it. Might just do it to get rid of the heat soak fade.

sent from my htc

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was there scoring on the intake side only?

heavily on the intake pto side, but there was scuffing on the exhaust side as well. When I say I am not convinced it was snow injestion is because only one side was bad. Other side was good.

IMG_1284.jpg

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on one's parade, but this has nothing to doo with KM's or longevity. I definitely was a bad environment for that piston at sometime. Wash looks like it should be reviewed (since it is a tad leaner than left)

heavily on the intake pto side, but there was scuffing on the exhaust side as well. When I say I am not convinced it was snow injestion is because only one side was bad. Other side was good.

IMG_1284.jpg

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on one's parade, but this has nothing to doo with KM's or longevity. I definitely was a bad environment for that piston at sometime. Wash looks like it should be reviewed (since it is a tad leaner than left)

All I was suggesting is that failure can happen at anytime. Don't simply go by mileage. And that was a completely stock motor. No mods. So going off the original posters question, anything is subject at anytime.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3000k is a good time to swap out the pistons. I let my REV go for 4500 and the piston skirt let go and grenaded the case. Compression was still up there, Pistons still had the machine marks and the moly on them.

$325 is cheap peace of mind. Get a set of MCB dual rings from Kore and don't look back.

I agree, I wouldn't go anymore over 4000 km's on the 800r. I've seen a few grenade right around that mark.

Last edited:

rylester331

Reaction score
How much to replace the top end , might do mine , got 3400,
Km and the compresion is at 145 on both cylinders!

Top Bottom