FSR Accident

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could you elaborate? what do these units look like?

Abnormal amount antennas on the roof of the minivan. Only the second one Ive ever seen, I can’t recall what emblem was on the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After putting in 20 years as a radio tech. 30watts is all the federal licence is good for and it is a federal licence to be renewed every year. Money grab so really only businesses licence their radios. That being said you can have 1000 w but if the receiver on your radio is suspect you have nothing.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never understood why the higher wattage radios are illegal? Not very familiar with them so it could be obvious but not to me lol

Reactions: RXN

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never understood why the higher wattage radios are illegal? Not very familiar with them so it could be obvious but not to me lol

Technically they are not, it’s the regulation of the channel and the licence requirements to respectively communicate on those channels.

CB’s are limited to 4 watts. I have a portable cb that capable of over 50w, now I’m in the ham radio range for licensing requirements. I also have a 100W linear or booster, to use with a 4w output CB.
Some nights I had no problem talking to someone 2000km away.
These baofeng radios over 4w are technically not permitted for use in Canada because of the power they can produce on certain channel ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the pre RR days there was a lot of overlap on fsr s using the same road channel so you would have guys calling kms on different roads with the same channel. Keeping the power lower and switching to RR s helped .but sometimes too much. Higher elevation and less obstructions gets by with lower power . Closer to the valley bottoms not so much

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Plenty of 50W mobile VHF radios out there. Used to work in the industry, sold thousands of them in my time. Legal? Depends. But there's nobody out there measuring signals to make sure you're compliant.
Sorry for the slight derail.
Who or where does the programming in cold lake now?
Used to just go see Art for all my radio program needs.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there are. I have a Yaesu that's 75w. Kenwoods pretty good at sticking to the regulations though if you're buying locally. I guess you can probably get anything online these days..
I have the Yaesu 8900r as well, i thought it was 75 watts. I did not realize with this radio you needed a n connector for the antenna. I never got it working right, ordered a new mic to see if that was the problem, but never got around to see if that was the problem. A room full of radios.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Yaesu 8900r as well, i thought it was 75 watts. I did not realize with this radio you needed a n connector for the antenna. I never got it working right, ordered a new mic to see if that was the problem, but never got around to see if that was the problem. A room full of radios.

Does the 8900 require a solder modification to open up the FRSR vhf channels? My 7900 did. I was hoping they'd go back to the old secret change it from a button combination method.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just a little update, this was pretty sad the amount of time to get parts but finished the trailer today, now loader up and be ready to go.
B25C8D50-D3DC-49F6-B545-548E4330AF66.jpeg

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with using the heigh power radios leads to what happened to the OP and im not saying this is what happened by any means. A high powered radio will step on top of the guy that is running a normal power rating so the guy calling out may get stepped on by the guy calling out that is way farther down the road. On a resource road their is not reason to have the wattage cranked up because you only want to hear the guy that is 5km away not the guy that is 20km away..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are a lot of junk radios out there and a lot of people are putting their lives at risk using them.
if you are into the same terrain as the logging boys, get the same kind of radio.
Isn’t this the same philosophy as the dude skipping the trail pass kiosk, skimping on avalanche training, 2 sleds on a half ton, etc ?? Tens of thousands of dollars tied up in truck, trailer, and sleds and a shitty radio.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with using the heigh power radios leads to what happened to the OP and im not saying this is what happened by any means. A high powered radio will step on top of the guy that is running a normal power rating so the guy calling out may get stepped on by the guy calling out that is way farther down the road. On a resource road their is not reason to have the wattage cranked up because you only want to hear the guy that is 5km away not the guy that is 20km away..
Perhaps I missed the context, but I would take a blind guess that must of the logging industry is running a 25W mobile radio with a half wave antenna mounted up on the roof. It's going to have far superior range, both tx and rx, compared to a baofeng portable with a 1/4 wave (at best) antenna inside a truck.

Last edited:

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi, i was using a boafeng radio and had great contact with everyone on the road with very good range. Not sure what the other truck had but feom where he got on the road to where the accident happened he did not have a chance to get the flavour of the road.

Like everything you can have the equipment but if you do not know how to use it it will not help you.

This could of been very bad, fortunately it was just a pile of money spent for no reason

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was meeting up with a guy, he told me he would be on Ladd 3. I stopped at a gas station where he was fueling up and he asked me why i never answered my radio. I asked him to look on his radio and tell me what it said.. He said it says LD 3 . Anyway i take along a cheap little $120 mobile radio with me in my car when travelling, you never know when you will have to get diverted on some back road because of an accident or park gate being closed, i usually get 15k from that radio and it has frequency mode where you can just add any frequency like say sundance..haha, it powers up on a cig lighter. They do make handhelds that will get better range than baofeng..just saying.

Top Bottom