2019 Polaris Axys 850 - Things to Watch For

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2019 Polaris Pro Axys RMK 850 155 3" (chaincase). First year of the polaris 850's. Buddy owned it since new and said that the fuel system recall had been done. He also mentioned that he got to 750km before the sled threw it's first 'crank bearing' code, so the dealer told him to bring it in as it was still under warranty and they went and replaced the bearing as well as did a new top end (is what he said..) going to call the dealer tmrw to verify the story. Seems like many of the 850's had their issues right off the hop, and if you crested the couple hundred km/mile marker they were pretty decent motors. This sled has 1100kms. Anything I should look into before I take it for the first ride? I plan to go through it in general, but any specifics that have left people stranded / gremlins hard to chase / good to carry (like if they were bad on plugs) etc.

Thanks in advance,

2019 Axys 850.jpg

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ever receiving a recall on my 2019 850 RMK. I snowchecked it from new and still have it.

It looks like you have another Polaris, so you are familiar with the ski rubbers - check them and carry spares and tools to replace on the hill.

Sometimes they engine won't want to start. When that happens, the trick is to hold full throttle and give it a pull.

Check chaincase oil. And it's probably worth replacing at that mileage.

I don't know everything about these sleds, but I can't imagine how it would throw a 'crank bearing' code. How would a sensor know that? Sounds fishy.

The only problem I can recall having with my 2019 was barely even a problem: the dealer noticed paint was chipping on the running boards and got them replaced on warranty. They might have made that up, I never even noticed.

Mine has been a good sled.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19 did have a crank bearing issue that was corrected in 20. If the sled made a few hundred miles never seemed to be an issue. The original fuel map was the cause of the many plug changes. Once the map was updated no more plug issues. Believe I took out a driveshaft bearing and destroyed the driveshaft in the process. This was all mountain miles. All in all good sled.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses to this. Yeaa I'm going to follow up and see if I can get a more clear answer on what exactly was done around the 750km mark. Seems to pull over just fine and compression test checks out at 120's both sides and engine doesn't sound or look abnormal in any way. Actually sounds quite smooth. I'll likely carry a set of plugs first trip out and monitor for fowling just in case. He did say he changed the chaincase oil last year and it only has 1 ride on it but I might do it anyways so I know what I'm starting with. Wanna take the y off too and peek inside to see the pistons as well.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a TKI belt drive that I took off mine before selling. Good price if you want to lighten your sled up? BTW my 19 was the best sled I ever owned. Get the latest flash if it has not had them done as they run cleaner with it.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a TKI belt drive that I took off mine before selling. Good price if you want to lighten your sled up? BTW my 19 was the best sled I ever owned. Get the latest flash if it has not had them done as they run cleaner with it.
thanks for the offer, I'll need to get a trip on it and see how much I like (or dislike) the chaincase, my 18 had belt drive so it does feel weird going back to one.

Which flash is this? Would a dealer know what the 'updated' flash is (ie name, code#) or be able to tell if it's been done if they simply run the VIN?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer can check the flash. I was on the fourth with another available but it ran so good I just left it with #4. I don't think they are a progressive thing. If you are on the original they would ust do the lastest. Never a charge to do it but then again it might be up to the dealer??

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would throw in new clutch cover bushing while your at it.
You mean the Primary Roller bushings? Or which bushing are you specifically referring to?

I found that the exhaust pipe seal between the y-pipe was cracked and the springs were also sagged they were so loose I could wiggle them back & fourth lol. Some oil residue from this in the bottom so gunna clean that up and put fresh gasket/springs in. Not sure how to check chain tension without removing cover and needing more oil so may get a ride on it first and see. Gunna check plugs but also have a fresh set to carry with me just in case. doing dialectic on all my connectors I can access.

Does anyone ever try to seal up the little fuse panel/block better than factory to prevent moisture from getting inside? The cover doesn't exactly seem that tight and I'd be concerned about snow build-up under the hood. I do have frogskin vents on the hood so that might help quite a bit actually.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owners manual has a procedure for setting chain tension.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so went to start the sled last night as I plan to leave for revy in the AM and sled would not pull over. Not even a brief fire sounded like totally dead plugs. I ended up unplugging the fuel pump 6 plug near the fuse box and did the ‘kill switch on key off 5 pull’ reset then turned it all on and the sled started but ran like a dog wouldn’t keep idle. Pulled the plugs they were soaked so I switched new plugs but I also noticed that there was a lot of oil residue coming from the y-pipe / pipe seal. So before starting I pulled the exhaust off and I had a massive pool of oil come out from the pipe. See photos. Put it all together and started it for a minute and it ran fine. What the heck would cause this? Is there a way to turn down the oiler on an 850? Is this totally not normal and something I should be more worried about?
5f978030902eb079530d179cbcd77a49.jpg

f8ce7c03125313511334ed11494da6be.jpg

fa7e4e43afde3aacf77125e091a9c55f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gunna try a higher temp NGK plug also I think - an 8 or perhaps even a 7... will pack a few of these for sure.. going to take the sled to the dealer also to see if they can verify which 'flash' is currently on the sled and if they can make sure its up-to-date

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran them in my 2021 850 yes, cleaned up the bottom end and they are more don't seam to foul as easy.

Top Bottom