FSR Accident

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A very personal bitch of my own, a lot of us have been through every possible safety class that has been offered or required. Oilfield driving courses ,fsr driving, Jsa s for every possible situation etc. But if you don’t know the road you can’t possibly know where the pull outs are or if it’s just a wide spot on the road to pass . Nothing like meeting a loaded logging truck or low bed on a blind corner . Even the truck drivers f up sometimes by being a bit late on a km call and he said down at 19 and he was actually at 18.5 . No bueno. Been out in the weeds a few times because of bad radio use . My own fault once or twice. Closer to spring , the loggers will go to night shift and then normal schedules go out the window. No good excuses for not having someone in your travelling group not have a functioning radio.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If using handhelds to call KM I definitely recommend calling every 1 or 2 km. If you're only calling every 3 you need to be pushing that transmit signal 6km to reach someone travelling towards you and that is tough in BC terrain sometimes.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If using handhelds to call KM I definitely recommend calling every 1 or 2 km. If you're only calling every 3 you need to be pushing that transmit signal 6km to reach someone travelling towards you and that is tough in BC terrain sometimes.
You can hear them coming for quite some distance going in or up, even with a handheld, it is up to you to be stopped in the pull outs waiting for the loaded trucks to pass you, they are calling every 2k even or odd depending on the area, you should be listening, and getting off the road for them. And that is why you see empty trucks pulled over for you when you are coming out.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s posted right at the highway odd one way even the other. Then a few locations there is a must call
It's posted but that's not usually how it goes even the truckers rarely make all their calls. They usually call periodically until they hear someone else getting close then call more often but I've also commonly heard guys that know a road well just call themselves into a pullout when the loaded truck is getting close.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running the Boafeng radio’s for quite a few years, put the long antennas on them and at the parking lot hear down to the hiway. Got them from RGM and very happy with them.

Biggest issue I see is people are radio shy, they don’t know or are scared to talk into them, I typically am the one calling, make sure the transmission is clear.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple 50watt tad s
son and i both have them
very handy on the fsr for sure
and the boa radios are quite impressive for chinese built

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kenwood radios have to follow the rules so 35 watt is what you get, in the stores that is, my Zastone D9000 is 50 watt. And unbelievably my Leixen handheld puts out 36 watts on one of the RR channels, kills a battery even when not turned on though, but you can get an aux plug battery for it.

Last edited:

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're not. My point was you'd be hard pressed to find a 50 watt Kenwood.

kenwood.jpg

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're not. My point was you'd be hard pressed to find a 50 watt Kenwood.
Plenty of 50W mobile VHF radios out there. Used to work in the industry, sold thousands of them in my time. Legal? Depends. But there's nobody out there measuring signals to make sure you're compliant.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plenty of 50W mobile VHF radios out there. Used to work in the industry, sold thousands of them in my time. Legal? Depends. But there's nobody out there measuring signals to make sure you're compliant.
Yes there are. I have a Yaesu that's 75w. Kenwoods pretty good at sticking to the regulations though if you're buying locally. I guess you can probably get anything online these days..

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are out there believe it or not. I seen one of those minivans on 43 last week near fox creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are out there believe it or not. I seen one of those minivans on 43 last week near fox creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had IC come out and audit a tower site once. The tech had next to no idea what he was doing. I have about as much faith in their ability as I do in the rest of the federal government.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without question the truck radios are far superior in range, regardless of make or wattage none are good if they aren't turned on or being used correctly.
and that can be part of the problem, it never stops chirping and making noise and people stop listening.

Top Bottom