Cromoly Running Boards

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy we are Skinz dealers. What kind of sled do you have and year? I can check on availability for you. Powder coated is definitely the way you want to go. Even though Skinz does sell them in aluminum we have yet to sell a set we have sold a ton of the black powder coated ones though.

Jan

Thanks Jan! PM'd you! :D

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend cromo. You should tig it and heat treat it after welding or it's very brittle. Much easier and lighter to just use aluminum.

and aluminum work hardens over time... so pick your poison....

heres the gig as a fabricator of many things IMO. aluminum is easy to mold into what you need as it is a softer metal. But will require a thicker peice to maintain strength. Now with aluminum it takes a certain amount of aquired skill to weld. IE heat, puddle, and rod. As well the thicker the aluminum the more welder you need, given this is for a running bored you should need much more than a 200/250 size of welder. As well more heat given the extra thickness can warp the piece if you are not controlling the heat. As for chormoly it is a stiffer material and does not require the skill of actual welding as per say, but can be more difficult to mock and fabricate pieces. As for brittle, we are talking about running boards here, not chromoly a-arms like on my car. Due note you can use a mig on both metals if you choose.

Just think working a file of aluminum you get much quicker results that you would chromoly

Personnally i would want a stiffer running board, i find the XP to be soft and squisher, eventhough cats are aluminum i find these much stiffer and more reponsive. I would go chromoly, and for traction use the old school setup with SS ice screws (same ones you find on ice cleats for shoes)

PS i have a smaller lincoln electric tig for sale, need to upgrade to a larger 300ish as the jet boat aluminum haul is thicker than 1/4"

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm thats crazy I thought for sure cromoly would be a good product to use. Well there we go! Thanks for all the info guys!

Chromoly would IMO be a great material to use for this. You can TIG or MIG Chromoly, but must heat anneal your welds for stress relief. Chromoly is much easier to weld than aluminum...virtually the same as welding steel except for the annealing process. My .02:beer::beer:

We use chromoly in our baja race chassis...and nothing dishes out abuse quite like Baja:d

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These kits look pretty sweet. and get them powdercoated.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These kits look pretty sweet. and get them powdercoated.

Those look like they would have the same issues I'm having with my running boards. I still think if I'm going to go after market anything it will be skinz product because they are tubular.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run out of options Rowdy, then give Daryl Baker @ Racers Edge a call. His number is 403-254-8686. There isn't anything he can't fabricate in aluminum or chromoly. And it will look good.......but maybe pricey? He is just a few kms south of Calgary so not much of a drive. :):beer:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
just look at the price tag van amburg wants for those rear tunnel sections

its just retardet

same kit u got in the picture will be over 1000bucks the time u got it shipped to ure door

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run out of options Rowdy, then give Daryl Baker @ Racers Edge a call. His number is 403-254-8686. There isn't anything he can't fabricate in aluminum or chromoly. And it will look good.......but maybe pricey? He is just a few kms south of Calgary so not much of a drive. :):beer:

well with the way this sled has been nothing has been cheap. Just had to buy a new track and drivers. The dealer that sold me my sled swapped the original track for an '01 2" track that was discontinued....Soooo I'm used to her being pricey, lol.

I will keep that as an option for sure. Right now I'm getting my torque wrench ready to take batting practice on Willy....:rant:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just look at the price tag van amburg wants for those rear tunnel sections

its just retardet

same kit u got in the picture will be over 1000bucks the time u got it shipped to ure door

ya looks too rich for my blood

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what track/drivers did you get

Camoplast part # 9940 151x16x2.313 in 2.52 pitch track and some exported drivers. I don't know the exact name or anything on those yet, waiting to hear back from Curtis.

But once again the sleds in pieces and hanging by a come along. *sigh* Finding more and more things that Willy never did right on my sled. It's beyond frustrating at this point.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt want to go with the 2.5?

I did but this was too good of a deal to pass up on. So for half the price this will do. I plan on a new sled after next season. Although...this is pretty much a new sled now, lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chromoly tube running boards!? What a fabulous idea. How did you come up with this fantastic idea? :d

I have the WRP ones and they are fawked. Really really bent. Is anyone running the skinz ones? Are they tough? I looked at them and really cant see them standing up to any abuse.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chromoly tube running boards!? What a fabulous idea. How did you come up with this fantastic idea? :d

I have the WRP ones and they are fawked. Really really bent. Is anyone running the skinz ones? Are they tough? I looked at them and really cant see them standing up to any abuse.

Wasn't through you there deaner! :p Guy I knew mocked some up for his yammy and they seemed to work good when he was down to visit over the xmas holidays.

I know a guy that's running them who's a big guy, probably around your size and stature. I'll PM you his name and you can msg him on fb and ask. I'm thinking of the skinz line because I know they are a reputable company, but I wouldn't mind trying to mock up some myself.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are yours raw steel rowdy? if so see about them getting them powder coated. really helps with shedding the snow, it doesn't stick to the coating nearly as good as it will to the raw metal

but if you do want to attempt to make some new boards, a welder at site said you should be able to use a TIG or a MIG as long as you are using the right wire. He says it shouldn't be to much harder to weld then steel, but he has never done it.

chrome molly can be easily welded with stainless stick , mig , or tig
not a cheap material but very strong

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com

Dean talk to Justin he just put a set on his cat.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I messaged him and told him to talk to Justin too. They looked great on his cat!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anytime you are bolting anything to your tunnel it is going to flex more. The skins ones take away the full footboard at the bottom, the running board looks strong enough, but not having a solid connection at the bottom will introduce flex into the tunnel.

I have added bracing to my other sled (that is not a tube tunnel), and I still pop the upper rivets for the back support once a year. Granted I'm not a small guy but there is much more flex in a sheet of alum than in anything with tubular construction.

Top Bottom