Retro Rocket Build

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting on this one for a bit but finally was able to start putting some time in on it. This will be a bit a project over the next few months to get finished, hopefully we can get a few rides on it before seasons end and figure out what bugs need to be addressed over the summer. The objectives here were to show my nephew some experience and mechanical skills as he's shown an interest in this type of stuff, build a lightweight sled that won't be a handful and isn't going to break the bank, keeping the power reasonable for him on his first project, and also turn out something unique that's a bit of tribute to the old skool cool mod hillclimbers that broke trail for the mountain sleds of today.

History - I picked this sled up for $200. It had been sitting for about 8 years and the owner was a good guy and was totally honest about its condition. He said it had lost a cylinder, and he never spent much time looking at it, it was easier to buy a new sled so he did. So we brought it home and cleaned it up well enough to get it running for dianostic, had compression, had spark - so this gets you scratching your head.....Cleaned all the carbs, gave her new plugs and fired it up - it ran........but clearly not well. Showed the nephew how to start diagnosing what could be the problem and it was pretty evident as we started spraying ether down the PTO side what was going on.
PTO seal.jpg
PTO seal out.jpg

The phenolic (plastic) bearing cage puked itself into the PTO crank seal, but lulckily it did enough major damage instantly to the seal that it wouldn't let the PTO side fire, which likely saved it from slowly failing, air leaking and leaning out and then burning up. So, checked the crank run out and surprisingly it was good. So the motor came out, checked all the other components and they were in good shape. Appears that the top end had been done shortly before and although some light marks on the pistons are present, nothing else major. Measured all the motor tolerances etc and built a plan. The rest of the crank bearings seemed OK, so we re-used it as the intention is this motor may be replaced in a few months anyway.
bearings.jpg
Disassmenbly.jpg
Porting.jpg

We stuffed the crank in the freezer overnight, cooked up a batch of new crank bearings on the PTO and Mag ends and dropped them on. She got soda blasted, tanked and cleaned, all new seals and chased all the threads. She got some love in the porting dept and the head is getting a shaving.

Threads.jpg

She's almost all back together, just waiting on the new carb boots (old ones were cracked). I've got a track and skid that we will use but its going to need a different track eventually. Eventually it will probably get a drop and roll but not likely before the end of this season.
Motor.jpg

Track and skid.jpg

Up next the chassis work will start in a week in or, and I'll post some pics as things progress. Stay Tuned.....

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this engine needs it but on my 780 the case can be drilled to allow oil to more easily reach the PTO bearings, steady hand and proper size bit is all you need.
Still running my old 96 Mach Z LT around home, love those old sleds.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on ! So awesome seeing these old legends come back

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a Union Bay 937 triple in a 2007 Rev chassis with Jaws pipes. Build is still over on Snowest. Thing ripped! Sold it to a guy who turned into an ice racer.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I most likely have the jigs for the drop & roll depending on chassis. Cannot make myself discard them, pain staking hours went into fabricating those jigs each time a new chassis was released.

It would be fun to try introduce some new stand up & mass centralization concepts to the old gal. Fabrication is long forgotten with the new riders today, another skill for nephew.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What chassis?
Well, I'll keep the part with the VIN....LOL re-use the tunnel. This ain't my first tube chassis or sled build, there's another one I did several years back on this forum (think the pics are still here somewhere) but there have been lots of others (see some of the old school pics I posted earlier this year). weld and add in bracing as needed to stiffen it for more responsive rider inputs. The idea was to keep it kinda simple for the nephew, keep it light, and not take too long.....so it won't get too crazy. :p

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 208

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I most likely have the jigs for the drop & roll depending on chassis. Cannot make myself discard them, pain staking hours went into fabricating those jigs each time a new chassis was released.

It would be fun to try introduce some new stand up & mass centralization concepts to the old gal. Fabrication is long forgotten with the new riders today, another skill for nephew.
Ok, thanks will keep that in mind. I usually just make my own. FYI - You can buy the templates for lots of chassis' still from Rec Supply, I think they get them from SLP or Wahl Bros.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built a light weight Indy Lite in 2002 with a Full Mod 488 Fancooled that Jim Kuster had Modfied,very fun sled to ride.Built most everything from scratch Forward Rolled Chain Case and 16”x144”x2” Track,364 lbs.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built a light weight Indy Lite in 2002 with a Full Mod 488 Fancooled that Jim Kuster had Modfied,very fun sled to ride.Built most everything from scratch Forward Rolled Chain Case and 16”x144”x2” Track,364 lbs.
That sounds awesome! Do you still have it?

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman not trying to sidetrack your great thread but rode with a lot of those triples back in the day and reading brought back flashbacks lol!

beerwolf still have it but it got extremely damaged after Ghost Ride over a cliff years ago.That particular engine started out in a 1993 Indy Lite and seen many trips till 2004 when switched to 550 Fan to get Perc for reverse.The 488 back in original Indy Lite chassis,those 2 machines layed a lot of First Tracks on mountains in Robson Valley along with the Great Core group of Guys I ran with🙂

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got around to doing a bit more last week. Tore the front end off, pressure washed and steamed it all and welded up a couple braces. Cut the head and polished up the combustion chambers, the motor is now fully complete and sitting in the chassis. New skis are in and I just need to make the bushings for them tonite. Tried to use some other XM shocks I had but they are way too long so I had a set of 15" ones that will work and will use them instead. Spent an evening just playing with the shocks and geometry to see if I could get the longer shocks to work.

All pipe insulation and heat shields are stripped and now just need to clean up the pipes and maybe try and smooth out a couple bends, the stock pipes are really restrictive. Hoping to mock up the rear skid tonite as well and see what cuts it needs.

Shaved head 1.jpg
Motor mock up.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry all, been a crazy busy spring this year and just haven't had the time to dedicate to this project. Its made some slow progress and I just have been poor at updating this thread. Progress from the last update is: rebuild and machined faces on the primary, pressed on new drivers, bolted in skid and track, mocked up rear brackets and mounts. The skid angle, to the boards to the trailing arms matches great and should really help the sled handle better. A buddy had 2 stingers so we just had to make up a third one. Other things done were re-plumbed lines and re-set oil pump, filled motor and fired (will try and upload video from my phone). Need to finish the seat and hood mounting, clean rebuild secondary, trim and shape rear mounting brackets, and some other touch ups (clean up some welds, paint the stingers etc). Plans for the summer will be to make up some lighter front end parts (radius rods and trailing arms) to shed some more weight.

She's going out for a little maiden voyage this weekend, will be good to get her on the snow.

Primary.jpg
Side view.jpg

Attachments

• Primary 2.jpg
    Primary 2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 117

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a zx tunnel drop and rolled and streched to 174 all don by MM sitting collecting dust that would look good with that motor.

Top Bottom