Cromoly Running Boards

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres a guy on snowest thats building complete rev chassis chromoly tube tunnels with footboards. looks/works awesome.
trying to find a pic

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres a guy on snowest thats building complete rev chassis chromoly tube tunnels with footboards. looks/works awesome.

Do you know if he's on here? Or what his name is on snowest?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats why I was thinking of building a set of my own. Im thinking something like the skinz ones, but shorter and wider. And instead of just the inside tube sitting on a 3/4" lip, have a piece of flat material that goes up along side the tunnel like a conventional stiffener, but have it welded to the tubes. Need to draft something up this summer. The biggest problem with the boards that are out there right now are they arent tough enough, and the snow still builds up between the outside rail and the holes. I keep slipping off my running boards because of this. I think a good strong set of tube boards are the answer.

And then Rowdy comes to Creston, steals my idea, and then starts a thread about it passing it off as her own idea. :d

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats why I was thinking of building a set of my own. Im thinking something like the skinz ones, but shorter and wider. And instead of just the inside tube sitting on a 3/4" lip, have a piece of flat material that goes up along side the tunnel like a conventional stiffener, but have it welded to the tubes. Need to draft something up this summer. The biggest problem with the boards that are out there right now are they arent tough enough, and the snow still builds up between the outside rail and the holes. I keep slipping off my running boards because of this. I think a good strong set of tube boards are the answer.

And then Rowdy comes to Creston, steals my idea, and then starts a thread about it passing it off as her own idea. :d

Hey now! I've been thinking about doing this since xmas, lol. :p We just had the same idea! I'd say let's work together and try to mock some stuff up but you live so far away.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey now! I've been thinking about doing this since xmas, lol. :p We just had the same idea! I'd say let's work together and try to mock some stuff up but you live so far away.

Its not that far. Just come down some weekend and we'll get both our sleds fixed up. Between your enthusiasm, and my mind of a scientist........well get something good figured out. Better have Kevan Drinkle Top Pro Mountain Rider there for professional guidance just in case.

We'll start out by cutting our running boards off. Then we wont have a choice but to figure something out.:eek:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not that far. Just come down some weekend and we'll get both our sleds fixed up. Between your enthusiasm, and my mind of a scientist........well get something good figured out. Better have Kevan Drinkle Top Pro Mountain Rider there for professional guidance just in case.

We'll start out by cutting our running boards off. Then we wont have a choice but to figure something out.:eek:

Ok that could work! I'm checking into some other options until then. :cool:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Anytime you are bolting anything to your tunnel it is going to flex more. The skins ones take away the full footboard at the bottom, the running board looks strong enough, but not having a solid connection at the bottom will introduce flex into the tunnel.

I have added bracing to my other sled (that is not a tube tunnel), and I still pop the upper rivets for the back support once a year. Granted I'm not a small guy but there is much more flex in a sheet of alum than in anything with tubular construction.

We have a set of Skinz boards on our M6, there is no additional tunnel flex with the Skinz boards installed nor is there flex in the Skinz boards when installed. The item making the cat boards rigid from the factory is the outer grip rail which is simply pop riveted to the aluminum footboard. Once the outer rail is removed the factory footboard flexes like crazy. The Skinz boards can also be bonded to the tunnel in addition to being pop riveted during installation.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a set of Skinz boards on our M6, there is no additional tunnel flex with the Skinz boards installed nor is there flex in the Skinz boards when installed. The item making the cat boards rigid from the factory is the outer grip rail which is simply pop riveted to the aluminum footboard. Once the outer rail is removed the factory footboard flexes like crazy. The Skinz boards can also be bonded to the tunnel in addition to being pop riveted during installation.

Are you a dealer for the skinz boards? Is there warranty on them? I could see buying a set, but for the money they would have to come with a really good guarantee on them. If your a dealer, could you shoot me a price and some info on them? :)

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok that sounds awesome........if all of your other options fall through, Ill be your last resort. :d

awww I didn't mean you were my last resort!! Way to make a gal feel bad! Sheesh! I'm just wanting to see about the Skinz product first, if they can do one for a Rev chassis and also if it's a decent price. Also checking out Modman's running boards he made. :)

And they are a skinz dealer fyi! :D

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awww I didn't mean you were my last resort!! Way to make a gal feel bad! Sheesh! I'm just wanting to see about the Skinz product first, if they can do one for a Rev chassis and also if it's a decent price. Also checking out Modman's running boards he made. :)

And they are a skinz dealer fyi! :D

Im just teasing. If I made them.......or had a part in making them, Im sure it would look like Homer simpson made them while he was drunk. Probably better off buying a set.:rolleyes:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im just teasing. If I made them.......or had a part in making them, Im sure it would look like Homer simpson made them while he was drunk. Probably better off buying a set.:rolleyes:

I'm sure they wouldn't be that bad. But it would be neat and kind of fun to make a set as well!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We're talking apples and oranges here. I'm talking "no flex" in a tube chassis, you're saying there is no flex in the M6 running boards, but my reference point is much stronger than the stock M6 tunnel or the Skinz running boards. I realize as a dealer you are defending your product, which is fine.

I'm not knocking the Skinz product, they look good. The drawbacks I see is the lack of taller outer roll grip and mating to the tunnel. The only reason I point out the outer roll is because I designed my running boards the same way, and I do notice a difference between my traditional tunnel on my Cat and my tube tunnel on my Doo. The outer edge is there on the Skinz, just doesn't look like its high enough to me. If you look at something like the Fabcraft tunnel, the roll edge is higher than most stock sleds even. poor quality pic on their website.

On my traditional tunnel, my foot naturally finds the roll edge of the running board because the roll edge keeps it there. On my tube sled, I have to actively track my foot positioning, and I do still slip off the running boards once or twice a season. I see similarity to the Skinz design in that regard, which is why I point it out. If I was going to do it over again (which I will), I will make the outer roll higher than this design. (Long winded explanation but Rowdy I put this here ^^^ as food for thought in your design process) ;) I still prefer tube running boards over the stock tunnel though.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're talking apples and oranges here. I'm talking "no flex" in a tube chassis, you're saying there is no flex in the M6 running boards, but my reference point is much stronger than the stock M6 tunnel or the Skinz running boards. I realize as a dealer you are defending your product, which is fine.

I'm not knocking the Skinz product, they look good. The drawbacks I see is the lack of taller outer roll grip and mating to the tunnel. The only reason I point out the outer roll is because I designed my running boards the same way, and I do notice a difference between my traditional tunnel on my Cat and my tube tunnel on my Doo. The outer edge is there on the Skinz, just doesn't look like its high enough to me. If you look at something like the Fabcraft tunnel, the roll edge is higher than most stock sleds even. poor quality pic on their website.

On my traditional tunnel, my foot naturally finds the roll edge of the running board because the roll edge keeps it there. On my tube sled, I have to actively track my foot positioning, and I do still slip off the running boards once or twice a season. I see similarity to the Skinz design in that regard, which is why I point it out. If I was going to do it over again (which I will), I will make the outer roll higher than this design. (Long winded explanation but Rowdy I put this here ^^^ as food for thought in your design process) ;) I still prefer tube running boards over the stock tunnel though.

you calling me fat?! saying I'll flex the boards. Sheesh! I never!

lol :p

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a summer project then go for it. Could be fun. If what you really want is to keep the snow off your running boards then install a set of FUboards and never worry about it again! Snow just plain doesn't stick to plastic! I have plastic on my M7 and love them. I have aluminum ones with the same size holes on my M1000 and hate them! They're getting replaced with plastic this summer. They don't list them for your sled, but give Wayne a call at Menztoys. He just had a set made up for a buddy's gen 2 Poo, and he can get them made for just about anything. :)

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked but don't quite get it. Is it a plastic sheet you rivet on? Doesn't seem worth $140 to me if thats the case. Doesn't look like they make them for a rev anyways lol

Top Bottom