2020 Ski Doo Summit SP 175 Review

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been about 13 years since I bought my last SkiDoo sled (2007 summit x) and I decided to give it another try. I'm at 1500km. One of the primary reasons I decided to get this sled is because the parts and service in Revelstoke for skidoo is very available.

What I like...
1500km and this thing has maybe bogged once or twice and it was definitely my own fault for having 3 ft of snow on the hood. It always works! My last sled (2018 cat) had this habit of bogging every time I was trying to go above a tree or cross a creek. Very impressed.

Shot start is something I didn't know I needed but now that I've had it I will definitely miss it on my next sled (2022 turbo polaris).

PARTS AND SERVICE 5 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!!

Handwarmers actually work well from factory!

Durability is good as well. Sled doesn't feel weak or flimsy.

What I dislike...
Fuel and oil consumption... WTAF?! 11 Jugs of oil for 1500km. This sled burns a brown bill every day I ride it. Packing gas every ride is annoying after never packing gas on Cat/Polaris. Give riders a real tank size, 36.5L is not enough for a NA never mind the turbo.

G4 chassis is very difficult to ride on a sidehill and tight trees. I'm a worse rider on this sled.

If you have to ride through ruts or old tracks you will definitely be feeling it the next day. I'm not sure if it's the horizontal steering post that gives too much feedback into the wrist and elbows, but it's very noticeable.

Overall I find this to be a very well made sled that just works every day. It's a shame that it doesn't fit my riding style better but I do understand why a lot of people would like these machines.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been about 13 years since I bought my last SkiDoo sled (2007 summit x) and I decided to give it another try. I'm at 1500km. One of the primary reasons I decided to get this sled is because the parts and service in Revelstoke for skidoo is very available.

What I like...
1500km and this thing has maybe bogged once or twice and it was definitely my own fault for having 3 ft of snow on the hood. It always works! My last sled (2018 cat) had this habit of bogging every time I was trying to go above a tree or cross a creek. Very impressed.

Shot start is something I didn't know I needed but now that I've had it I will definitely miss it on my next sled (2022 turbo polaris).

What I dislike...
Fuel and oil consumption... WTAF?! 11 Jugs of oil for 1500km. This sled burns a brown bill every day I ride it. Packing gas every ride is annoying after never packing gas on Cat/Polaris. Give riders a real tank size, 36.5L is not enough for a NA never mind the turbo.

G4 chassis is very difficult to ride on a sidehill and tight trees. I'm a worse rider on this sled.

If you have to ride through ruts or old tracks you will definitely be feeling it the next day. I'm not sure if it's the horizontal steering post that gives too much feedback into the wrist and elbows, but it's very noticeable.

Overall I find this to be a very well made sled that just works every day. It's a shame that it doesn't fit my riding style better but I do understand why a lot of people would like these machines.
Could those achy bones be age creeping in? Lol

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice feedback.

Did you order the e-start on the new sled. After getting a good deal on a sled with e-start back in 2015, I couldn't do back to pulling the cord all day, and I'm just a young guy.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice feedback.

Did you order the e-start on the new sled. After getting a good deal on a sled with e-start back in 2015, I couldn't do back to pulling the cord all day, and I'm just a young guy.

I’m going back to the pull start. Polaris engine is very easy to pull start. Estart was $500 or one doc fee.

Reactions: LID

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious why you went with the SP and not the Expert model....? The short tunnel, lower bars and better suspension would have been better suited for technical riding?

what did you think of the factory clutching calibration?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious why you went with the SP and not the Expert model....? The short tunnel, lower bars and better suspension would have been better suited for technical riding?

175 SP was all I could find in the beginning of January. I agree that the expert is a lot better than the SP. The 2020+ clutching seems really good, pulls the rpm and belts last 500km.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode Catman10 175 2021 turbo and gotta say it’s pretty awesome. The lower bars are a huge improvement. Very predictable handling. He has made a few adjustments to the rear skid and helped with our riding style.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was a great review of the SP 175. I have owned a 17, & 18 850 summit X 165, and when i first got on the 17 it was a hand-full to learn to ride over old tracks, and get balanced in tight trees. I found backing the front shocks off a bit, locking out the T-motion and finding just the right spot for the limiter to be adjusted to and then i was off and rolling.

I rode a buddies 20 175 SP for 3 days about a month ago, and it had lockout rear shocks, & T-motion delete. I found it to be extremely predictable climbing, but a real bear through the trees as he keeps his front shocks stiff and limiter sucked up. The guy i borrowed the sled from is surgical in the trees with that set up? As in all the sleds, i think playing with the suspension set up to suite each individual riding style is the trick.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

cough!! !! cough !!.. more education on the short tunnel is needed by the piLot on the sled ... some are finding them selves going over backwards ... so long as there aware of this .. no worries .. back in the drag race daYs drag cars had wheely bars with TraiNing WheeLs ..true sToRY .. some used it to be a show man eViL KNieVeL sTYLe .. back in a biT... sP makes u a beTTer rider unTiL .. your redY to swap ouT the 5 ,6, 7, 8 riser for a 4, 3.75, 3,2 riser also sP builds muscle in upper body wiT longer riser then a 4 or lower ... lower riser s are for beggings ... jusT kidding ..im stiLL Learning !! .. yes suspension can go both waYs .. change OUT back shock under the TracK and stiff ta # 5 and go down from there .. TiPs and tricKs for the financially challenged .. can Ya sPare a sQuaRE > Lmao !! mr maxXxweLL your cuP is being buffed and shined should be readY for mar 10 -17 in revY at the boulder -DoME parking LoT .. cuPs for drinKinG milKKLiM spelled backwards lmao ... 2 marshmallows wiT my HoT ChoCaLaTe o zone .. no worries snoPRO ..nice !!

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
175 SP was all I could find in the beginning of January. I agree that the expert is a lot better than the SP. The 2020+ clutching seems really good, pulls the rpm and belts last 500km.

500 k? My Summit 700 on the same belt since 2008. You need some clutching schooling. It has about 10000km on it now.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled not the belt.
thought your sled has the custom beLT sander FoR clutching N gea -Ring .. what griT number u using Ta makKe that muc powW !! powwWWW !! eRRRR !!... john waYne from True GRiT would be Proud HoTsauce !! jumping jackKs or jeLLy BeaNs ..beeP !! nbeeP !! lmao

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For oil consumption go into candoo and budds and increase oil number 2 numbers, back to 2 litres a tank

Yes the doo has some skid problems, bakers skid has done amazing results, but Poo 15 inch track and its configuration is better..

I actually was looking for a Poo turbo myself.. be nice to compare

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
Does get much better with better suspension and the updated spindles, but the t motion and the flex edge could leave.

Not sure I would turn down the oil, cranks seem to be holding together now.

29l in 1200km for me.

Definitely can't get enough fuel, rode Blue River last week and it's the norm for guys to stack the 12l on top of the 14l.

Not a fan of having to ride slow on the trail so the track holds together either.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For oil consumption go into candoo and budds and increase oil number 2 numbers, back to 2 litres a tank

Yes the doo has some skid problems, bakers skid has done amazing results, but Poo 15 inch track and its configuration is better..

I actually was looking for a Poo turbo myself.. be nice to compare

Well considering I've blown up just about every single 2 stroke engine I've ever owned, I don't think I'll be turning the oiler down because that's the first thing the dealer is going to use against me. I just don't get why the NA needs to use 15:1 ratio to hold together. I thought it was built to be heavy duty and reliable? I'll take the oil cost over my last sleds exploding clutches/motor and random bogs at the worst times.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This post has me thinking of trying something else. The sidehill on my 850T is decent, but if the snow is so so, its a beast to hold it on line. In deep snow I find it wants to either washout or climb back up hill, maybe my foot position isn't ideal?

I agree with the ruts and crappy snow conditions, feels like I have to wrestle the sled to go where I want it?

Id be curious to try the new Polaris out.

What I like...

What I dislike...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This post has me thinking of trying something else. The sidehill on my 850T is decent, but if the snow is so so, its a beast to hold it on line. In deep snow I find it wants to either washout or climb back up hill, maybe my foot position isn't ideal?

I agree with the ruts and crappy snow conditions, feels like I have to wrestle the sled to go where I want it?

Id be curious to try the new Polaris out.
This is a Skidoo thread. That would be frowned upon and post will be reported.:rolling:

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
Does get much better with better suspension and the updated spindles, but the t motion and the flex edge could leave.

Not sure I would turn down the oil, cranks seem to be holding together now.

29l in 1200km for me.

Definitely can't get enough fuel, rode Blue River last week and it's the norm for guys to stack the 12l on top of the 14l.

Not a fan of having to ride slow on the trail so the track holds together either.
i understand BRP if your looking here ... 2.6 luGs ...maxXxium 2.75 LuGs ...beeP !! beeP !! it !! upPP !! we are LYNxXx .... THiS is BRP.... thaT ski -dooooo feeLing ...r U BRP PicKing upPpPpP !! .. whaT were puTTinG dowNNNNsTreaMMMM !! thanKs aLaTTe mr maxXxWeLL asK youRseLF am i RiGHT GuY for THiS CuPpPPPPsss ?? .. goe aHead maKe ouR DaY !!! no worries ..,iTs aLLgood !!!

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a Skidoo thread. That would be frowned upon and post will be reported.:rolling:
LiFe is a BoxXxX ed of chocaLaTes this is a open form for people to xXxPresso there vieW of the MounTaiNs inN aLL forMs .. 2 scoops please .. whole wheat shred dies .. easy riDeR would be proud .. peTeR fonda .. LeTs see whats haPPens .. beeP !! beeP !!

Top Bottom