Cromoly Running Boards

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We're talking apples and oranges here. I'm talking "no flex" in a tube chassis, you're saying there is no flex in the M6 running boards, but my reference point is much stronger than the stock M6 tunnel or the Skinz running boards. I realize as a dealer you are defending your product, which is fine.

I'm not knocking the Skinz product, they look good. The drawbacks I see is the lack of taller outer roll grip and mating to the tunnel. The only reason I point out the outer roll is because I designed my running boards the same way, and I do notice a difference between my traditional tunnel on my Cat and my tube tunnel on my Doo. The outer edge is there on the Skinz, just doesn't look like its high enough to me. If you look at something like the Fabcraft tunnel, the roll edge is higher than most stock sleds even. poor quality pic on their website.

On my traditional tunnel, my foot naturally finds the roll edge of the running board because the roll edge keeps it there. On my tube sled, I have to actively track my foot positioning, and I do still slip off the running boards once or twice a season. I see similarity to the Skinz design in that regard, which is why I point it out. If I was going to do it over again (which I will), I will make the outer roll higher than this design. (Long winded explanation but Rowdy I put this here ^^^ as food for thought in your design process) ;) I still prefer tube running boards over the stock tunnel though.

We actually prefer to think of ourselves as sledders not dealers. We use what we sell and if we try something out that we dont find worthwhile or substandard we do not sell it even if it means lossing out on sales.
The attaching method to the tunnel is no different than the way the extruded tunnel edge is mounted to the floor boards. Personally I have not had an issue with the height of the outer edge of the running boards the positioning of the traction screws comes into play here. On my 1M I generally ride with my feet on the outer rail as that is the only place to find traction with the old boards. If we could keep a set of Skinz M series boards in stock for any length of time, I'm thinking they might find their way onto the 1M, they look like they may fit with a bit of work. :beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plastic running boards?!

ya what she said if the snow slides off that easy how the fug does your foot stay there. i have seen the plastic rail grips or what ever you wanna call them more like rail slips. they are chit at least all the ones i have seen any body that runs them hates them.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the whole plastic boards on running plastic on your boards. I've got to say I am skeptical about that. I want to go tubular so that there is no way for snow to stick. I am going to check out Modman's running boards though sometime this week too.

But I'm convinced that tubular is the way to go and placement of the traction screws or whatever would be key. I have an idea for what I'd build. I'll try to sketch a pic and post it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked but don't quite get it. Is it a plastic sheet you rivet on? Doesn't seem worth $140 to me if thats the case. Doesn't look like they make them for a rev anyways lol

1/2" thick plastic that bolts on to your existing running board, then you cut the aluminum out to match the holes. The nylock nuts holding them on act as traction for your foot. You can also add traction screws if you like. I've never slipped off them yet, and snow absolutely does not stick to them.

As for making them for a Rev.....go back and read my first post! :)

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the simple design I was thinking of. Poor picture I know.

I think if the boards were spaced 2-2.5 inches apart it would work you you wouldn't get the tip if your boot caught. I'd also place self tapping screws along the sides of the running boards then 3 accross the middle. I think tha'd work.

Then also do (don't know what it's called) one of those things that comes up for when you cat walk or for a steep climb. I tried to draw it in the lower right picture.

Attachments

• running board.jpg
    running board.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your boots will be shredded, plus the screws work their way out, and it will crack in time. I used them years ago on my ol' 98x You will shred your pants if you kneel on them int he super deep....
Just spray pam on your boards, kick off as much loose snow as you can and keep a rubber mallet in your toolbox, and whack the underside of the runningboards... snow just pops off. I found the 05 REV had less issues than the XP does for snow buildup.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would skateboard griptape work? maybe cut up a snowboard traction pad?
as far as getting it... metal supermarkets carries cromoly tubing they are pricey but sell by the foot also my buddy here can order full sticks 20' for you at cost just send twister a mesage or start a thread asking about price in general 4x4 chat or the fabrication section, what size are you thinking 1", 1 1/4"? .065 wall .083 wall?

MenzToys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.menztoys.com
I do have the plastic boards for the rev in stock,they are bolted on and the hardware is the traction. We were in Trout Lake this weekend and the only sleds with clean boards were an XP,REV,and a M-8 all running the FU boards in our group of 17,but nobody had anything other than stock,so can't comment on the other brands. thx wayne

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as getting it... metal supermarkets carries cromoly tubing they are pricey but sell by the foot also my buddy here can order full sticks 20' for you at cost just send twister a mesage or start a thread asking about price in general 4x4 chat or the fabrication section, what size are you thinking 1", 1 1/4"? .065 wall .083 wall?

I use Russel Metals more than Metal Supermarkets if I need 20' lengths, there is a minimum order of $250 though, for the little stuff I still go to Metal Supermarkets if I only need a couple feet of something.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Russel Metals more than Metal Supermarkets if I need 20' lengths, there is a minimum order of $250 though, for the little stuff I still go to Metal Supermarkets if I only need a couple feet of something.

ah come on, when would the modman need a small amount of anything? excess is just enough:d

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I somehow doubt skate grip or cutting up a bazillion snowboard pads would work. I mean it could, but not something I'm willing to try.

I will check out that site for sure. I was thinking 1" and not sure what wall, figured I'd ask.

I do have the plastic boards for the rev in stock,they are bolted on and the hardware is the traction. We were in Trout Lake this weekend and the only sleds with clean boards were an XP,REV,and a M-8 all running the FU boards in our group of 17,but nobody had anything other than stock,so can't comment on the other brands. thx wayne

Thanks Wayne but I'm not sold on the plastic boards.

Thanks for the info! I think this project will be coming to life as skinz does not make any running boards for the Rev as of yet but are looking at producing some this summer.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh the sled shed in revy has some boards that are between the modrods ones and wrp ones.... mabe call turbo al and get a pic of his...

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh the sled shed in revy has some boards that are between the modrods ones and wrp ones.... mabe call turbo al and get a pic of his...

I do like the sled shed, they are awesome guys. I will keep that in mind if this cromoly is going to be too hard to do.

Top Bottom