whats the scoop in BC on trucks and sleds ?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This web site might help.
Has the different provincial rules.

As it has been said before braking and safety to consider.
If someone lost control and killed your family or friends from a over weight truck and trailer how would you feel.

I go to accidents all the time at work and the outcomes are not good.

My 2 cents.

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
In sask you are allowed one times the gvw of your tow rig with a bumper hitch and brakes on the trailer. when you go to a fifth wheel or goose neck the combined gvw is 2 times the gvw of the tow vehicle. But you must first check your registration and make sure you have it liscensed for that weight, otherwise they go by what is on your registration.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In sask you are allowed one times the gvw of your tow rig with a bumper hitch and brakes on the trailer. when you go to a fifth wheel or goose neck the combined gvw is 2 times the gvw of the tow vehicle. But you must first check your registration and make sure you have it liscensed for that weight, otherwise they go by what is on your registration.

Good information, but the thread pertains to British Columbia. Regardless of what the GVWR is on the truck, or the trailer towing capacity, the weight cannot be exceeded. All new vehicles come with slide in camper information (payload), but bear in mind that these numbers are for a base model, dry of ALL fluids. You must weigh your vehicle and equipment to know if you are legal, or even safe. In Alberta, you can legally carry what your tire load rating is (stamped on sidewall) for a commercial vehicle, but all that changes during road bans and once you enter another province. Pleading ignorance is not an excuse anymore - Bill C-45 changed those rules. Legally, due dilegence is the only saving grace you have in a court of law, meaning get educated, follow the rules, and take every precaution to ensure that you are acting safely on the road. One other thing that most people are unaware of is that your insurance may be null and void if you have a lifted vehicle, and you may be liable in a civil suit resulting from an accident, whether or not you were at fault - you may ant to make sure you are covered with your insurance company if you have vehicle modifications. I'm done ranting, have a great day, everyone play safe.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
was at McBride last weekend. there was a little action there but not too much. seen two 1500s with a sled deck (two sleds)

how many would i see on a busy weekend ???

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was at McBride last weekend. there was a little action there but not too much. seen two 1500s with a sled deck (two sleds)

how many would i see on a busy weekend ???

To many.....And the idiots with 2 4 strokes up there :realmad: I can tell you right now, if I see one stuck or anything in the parking lot, they can stay there. The overloaded people can stay there and not on the road endangering people. There is nothing wrong with a sled deck on a half ton, but ONLY one sled, MAYBE two if they are really light sleds. But pulling any sort of trailer? Give me a fing break. DOT will crack down on them eventully, and it won't be pretty to the drivers. It will be nice, because it the rest of us get hassled more. And don't park next to your trailer, other people need to use the parking lot to and it is a piss off when we have to come and move your trailer because you felt like taking up 2 parking spots.

As far as lifted vehicles, i've checked with my insurance, 6" lift is fine, haven't checked for my new 8" lift yet but not to worried, it's a big 6" if they don't like 8" :d

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious what did the truck actually weight? Just wondering were you getting your weight your allowed from, ie GVW or combining you axle ratings? But that sounds very close to what I weighted my Dodge at to.

Not sure, I wasn't concerned about the front axle at all so just stopped on the rear and it was 2560kg's(give or take 10) and legal off the door jam for rear is 2770kg's All your ratings are on the drivers side door post, It doesn't matter if your under your GVW if you have a axle over, it's a fine, and reduce weight.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I wasn't concerned about the front axle at all so just stopped on the rear and it was 2560kg's(give or take 10) and legal off the door jam for rear is 2770kg's All your ratings are on the drivers side door post, It doesn't matter if your under your GVW if you have a axle over, it's a fine, and reduce weight.

O I know I just always weight the front to because it can get close to.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, all kinds of advice, some right, some wrong ,some ????
trucks a 99 2 wh dr 1500 Ext cab with 5.3 auto and GVW on door is 6200
my Brand New 16 ft Tandem trailer is rated for 7000 lbs .has brakes.

My 99 1500 4x4 ext cab sitting in my yard says 6400 GVW on the door? maybe sons 1500 4 door is rated heavier?
asked local RCMP and local DOT,, ???? BC has different laws they say.They were no help.so still no smarter. any one know proper name of the scales at T J Cache
411 info no help.
Sorry for being pain in A-s. most of your comments are getting me closer to NOT taking that free snowmobile trip.cant afford a 3500 HD or 2 trucks,seeing that Pop is paying .( im Pop )

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My 99 1500 4x4 ext cab sitting in my yard says 6400 GVW on the door? maybe sons 1500 4 door is rated heavier?
asked local RCMP and local DOT,, ???? BC has different laws they say.They were no help.so still no smarter. any one know proper name of the scales at T J Cache
411 info no help.
Sorry for being pain in A-s. most of your comments are getting me closer to NOT taking that free snowmobile trip.cant afford a 3500 HD or 2 trucks,seeing that Pop is paying .( im Pop )

Here's the thing, you probably COULD go there with 2 on the deck and 2 on the trailer with a 1500 and not have a issue. But you COULD be stopped a ticketed and told nothing is moving until it is not overweight. I would say your best bet is to borrow or rent a 4 place open. Or maybe a 3 place with 1 in the box. The biggest thing is if DOT looks and KNOWS your overweight they will stop you, and a LOT depends on how you are driving and your truck (they are bias I don't care what anyone says). You will probably be pushing it with 3 on a trailer and 1 in the box and 4 people in the cab, but if you take it easy I doubt you'll be bothered and depending how heavy the sleds and trailer are probably be legal.

The thing is, a lot of people first think a half ton and a deck with 2 sleds is ok, next they add a trailer on etc etc. They get carried away, and there have been MANY accidents with half tons and suv's pulling to big of trailers. Last summer there was one a durango pulling a 35ft trailer, got blown around a DRY road into a oncoming semi...the dad of the family who was driving the only one who survived in the durango, anyone want to live with something like that?

There is a BIG difference between a half ton being 100lbs over and 1000lbs+ over. Just use common sense and you'll be fine, DOT isn't there to ruin your day they want to keep the roads safe for all.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

411 info no help.

Like I said before. Find out the tare weight of truck and trailer you are using by going to the nearest scale. It can even be the scale at the local Wheat Pool. But here is a contact list for CVSE locations.

CVSE - Inspection Station Locations

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, looks like my son is dealing his new deck off on a 4 place Aluminum with brakes, .so were OK,

Probably the best bet I have seen the R.C.M.P. making guys drop one sled at the Tete Jaune Scale better safe than sorry, BC goes strictly by the GVW on the door frame regardless of extra leafs or better tires it comes down to safety & your brakes are rated for only so much.
Happy trails!!!!!

RatedX

Reaction score
yes you can. My brother in law has done it lot, he has airbags, and the truck seems to haul them fine. If it looks safe the cops wont bug ya

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Like I said before. Find out the tare weight of truck and trailer you are using by going to the nearest scale. It can even be the scale at the local Wheat Pool. But here is a contact list for CVSE locations.

CVSE - Inspection Station Locations

I stopped at the scale today(had some time to kill)My 3/4ton H.D. Gwv 9200lbs.Tare weight with a 1/4 tank of fuel was 6116lbs.i thought it was lighter than that ,but the scale doesn't lie

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the best bet I have seen the R.C.M.P. making guys drop one sled at the Tete Jaune Scale

I've seen guys unloading sleds at the NCL so they could go back to TJ and pick up the one they had to leave behind. Not a happy crew.:rant::d

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i started this same thread last year after talking with a dot and cop in the tims parking lot in golden. the cops issue was he was concerned with how i had my two sleds tied down on my deck(07 dodge 3/4t megacab diesel, crosstrax deck). his beef was that the tie strap around the tracks were not proper! i had them each looped over the track and through the bar on the back that the ramp hooks on to. he said that he thinks that i should have put a tie down over the entire rear of the sled, over the seat ! i told him not a chance, with or with out a cover, on the seat, off the seat etc, etc. by this time the dot guy pulled up and was brougth up to speed to what we were talking about. the dot guy was happy with what i had, other than to make sure that the sled could not move side to side. which one could, adjusted and he was happy. i took the chance to ask him about the whole gvw issue and tire rating concerns. he said the door is what they go by! not the tires. i said that i had weighed before leaving on that trip and showed him what the numbers were. real close! cant remember the numbers. but he did say one thing that took us by surprise. over lengh!! 1.5m from the truck tail lights! not the marker ights on the deck. even if you are pulling a trailer. in day light they both need to be marked by an orange flag. and a night a single red light. thats on both sleds not just one. we ve rigged up these lights and flags since and seem to work good! this applies to comercial and private registered vehicles! the other thing he pointed out was truck-trailer configuration. a truck can not pull a comercial trailer if the truck is not registered comercial as well. or vise versa. thats what he said!! at the time there had just been a bad accident east of golden some where with in the last month to due with a truck with sleds on it. they(cops/dots) felt that the load coming losse added to the accident. they are just trying to do their job to keep us all safe on the roads. just my experince, take it or leave it. keep the good threads coming. this is what they are for! to help, and share our passion.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that commercial thing I don't get. What does it mater to them who owns what? I know a friend of mine got hassled about that until he proved that he was part owner of the company that the truck was registered to but he was pulling his trailer that was registered personally to him. Had to phone the insurance company to talk to the DOT to explain all this and that everything is uninsured, then finally let go. Must be something to do with that retarded ICBC!!

05blazerboy

Reaction score
BC is incredibly sticky, my buddy got turned around because his dual framed, '77 ford crew cab 3/4 ton only had five lug nuts, and a 3/4 ton has to have eight. We also got in trouble for bringing in our own fuel in a tidy tank. Pretty sketchy DOT they have over there.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in bc a half ton can only pull you can not have a deck. you need to have at least a 3/4 ton to have a deck.

are you sure about that one we have a ton of people running halftons with decks and there is no issues from the commercial vehicle inspections in fact one of them even have a new 08 chev halfton with a marathon deck on it not to sure were you got your info on this

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that commercial thing I don't get. What does it mater to them who owns what? I know a friend of mine got hassled about that until he proved that he was part owner of the company that the truck was registered to but he was pulling his trailer that was registered personally to him. Had to phone the insurance company to talk to the DOT to explain all this and that everything is uninsured, then finally let go. Must be something to do with that retarded ICBC!!

How is it ICBC is retarded? Insurance companies all think the same.

Look at it this way, someone pulling a trailer not registered or insured to the person it's being pulled by and it comes loose and kills you or writes off your truck. Now the insurance company can argue it won't pay out any compenation because it was not being pulled by the correct owner?
How does your wife and kids feel???

I am not a lwayer but I had a buddy go through court for almost 10 years because a drunk driver re-ended him and changed his life forever. The insurance company tried every way they could to get out of paying. They had "spies" watching the house to see if he was doing yard work, etc. I know this for sure becasue I asked the guy WTF was he taking pictures of.

No matter what you think of the DOT or RCMP they are looking out for the publics safety. Do things right and you have no trouble.

You don't like the rules stay home.

Top Bottom