whats the scoop in BC on trucks and sleds ?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my sons and I are planning a trip with 4 sleds to Terraca Ranch in the new year,
Son just sold his 2500 crew cab and got a 1500 crewcab ,,can we legally haul 2 and pull 2 ? might have to take 2 trucks.

Last edited:

mattthegreat

Reaction score
in bc a half ton can only pull you can not have a deck. you need to have at least a 3/4 ton to have a deck.

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Put your 2 sleds on your 2500 with all you want to haul and take to one of the roadside scales, weight it. If it don't exceed your gvwr and axle gvrs then your good to go. Make sure your have the trailer on your ball when you weigh so you get the right weight on your back axle.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are ok with just one sled in the back though? right?
The only way you'll know is by weighing it. Although a payload capacity is listed, those numbers are for a base truck with no options, fuel, passengers, etc. Weigh the truck full of fuel on a roadside scale, subtract that number from the GVWR of the truck - then you can start figuring out what everything you want to haul (including passengers) weighs. If you exceed the GVWR of the truck, you'll be ticketed, or be forced to park your trailer until you can retrive it with a suitable tow vehicle. A lot of 3/4 ton diesels are not legal with a`sled deck and two sleds, which is why I own a 1 ton single wheel pickup - simply for the GVWR rating. Depending on the trailer and sleds, your hitch weight will be 200 - 700 lbs, the higher number reflecting the car hauler. Hope this helps.

pissednbroke

Reaction score
Your best bet is to bring the car hauler but then you still need to know what your trucks licanced for as it still goes buy your gvw but your best bet is to take your truck in and have them change your gvw on your insurance papers cause I know that if you put one in the box and tow a trailer you will get pinched as the rear axle weight will be over.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The only way you'll know is by weighing it......[QUOTE/]

Oneoldfart to another.....right on! I personally don't think with a 1500 and a sled in the box with a toy hauler attached with 3 more sleds will cut it. But weight it!!

Think about it: 4 guys and gear 225lb (and I'm being nice at that weight)x4=900lb, sled with fuel = 550lb. That's 1450lb already and then there is the hitch weight of the trailer?

Like I said earlier, two trucks and two trailers but Oneoldfart hit the nail on the head.....weight it!! Good luck, fs

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt have any problems pulling a car hauler. i use to pull a 29 foot travel trailer behind a 2001 chevy1500 with a 6.0 and never had issuses,had the DOT tail me once and a climb never dropped to much speed so he truned around and went the other way. or put a set of airbags under the truck to make it look legal and they will probly never stop you,I have done it with a truck camper well hauling 2 quads on a trailer.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt have any problems pulling a car hauler. i use to pull a 29 foot travel trailer behind a 2001 chevy1500 with a 6.0 and never had issuses,had the DOT tail me once and a climb never dropped to much speed so he truned around and went the other way. or put a set of airbags under the truck to make it look legal and they will probly never stop you,I have done it with a truck camper well hauling 2 quads on a trailer.

I don't think the point of this thread is to "look" legal or not get pulled over, it is to follow legal ratings so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to bring the car hauler but then you still need to know what your trucks licanced for as it still goes buy your gvw but your best bet is to take your truck in and have them change your gvw on your insurance papers cause I know that if you put one in the box and tow a trailer you will get pinched as the rear axle weight will be over.

Nice username......LMFAO :hunter2:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They go by the sticker on the door for what you are legal to haul not your paper work. If you look overloaded they will get you for sure as they are always roaming around. you want to be legal as that is a crappy way to start your sled trip with a ticket and then they can make you get legal before moving on.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are ok with just one sled in the back though? right?

it's your money, you can do whatever you want.

Legally, weigh the truck and know what your gvwr is, both axles must not exceed this number. no way in hell a crew cab 1/2 ton can legally carry a sled in the boxor 2 on a deck.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you are still limited by your tire rating etc. also you now must have commercial ins. just get a 1 ton, or take your chances. you kill someone your going to pay.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you are legally responsible for any accidents, you are in, you are just pressing your luck.

Top Bottom