whats the scoop in BC on trucks and sleds ?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just happened to stop at the eastbound scale west of Calgary on Sat coming back from Quartz,04 dodge 2500 diesel, 3 guys, gear, 1/2 tank fuel, steel deck with a Rev X and a XP 1/2 full tanks, on the deck, 2 place Triton with 1 Xp and we had 220KG to spare on rear axle so full of fuel and sleds full on the way out we would have been very close to Max.

would have gained another 200 kg's if i had left the pack behind.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do they build decks strong enough to hold 2 yamaha's lol
Just wondering

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
you shouldnt have any problems pulling a car hauler. i use to pull a 29 foot travel trailer behind a 2001 chevy1500 with a 6.0 and never had issuses,had the DOT tail me once and a climb never dropped to much speed so he truned around and went the other way. or put a set of airbags under the truck to make it look legal and they will probly never stop you,I have done it with a truck camper well hauling 2 quads on a trailer.
Was this truck a 1500H.D.?Did it have 8 stud wheels or 6,Just curious is all.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I go with one guy that has a f150 we get 4 guys in truck and 4 sleds on alum. trailer and were good, check with flaman they might rent a 4 place open. Don't believe Imdooing he is just a young pup. LOL

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 10 ply tires,and Overload springs, going to weigh scales tomorrow. Not getting a gas hog 2500 for few trips to BC.thats why son got rid of his.if I can haul a 3/4 ton on my trailer legally, sure as chit could haul 4 sleds?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just happened to stop at the eastbound scale west of Calgary on Sat coming back from Quartz,04 dodge 2500 diesel, 3 guys, gear, 1/2 tank fuel, steel deck with a Rev X and a XP 1/2 full tanks, on the deck, 2 place Triton with 1 Xp and we had 220KG to spare on rear axle so full of fuel and sleds full on the way out we would have been very close to Max.

Curious what did the truck actually weight? Just wondering were you getting your weight your allowed from, ie GVW or combining you axle ratings? But that sounds very close to what I weighted my Dodge at to.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you fit a 3rd sled on the trailer if place em horizontally, and put 1 in the box?

trailer width can only be 8.5' wide. Most sleds are longer than that.
Probably going to be over the trailers weight rating with 3 sleds on it.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 10 ply tires,and Overload springs, going to weigh scales tomorrow. Not getting a gas hog 2500 for few trips to BC.thats why son got rid of his.if I can haul a 3/4 ton on my trailer legally, sure as chit could haul 4 sleds?

The thing with BC is they want to make sure you can stop. They really don't care about air bags, overload springs, how may lug nuts an axle has and who can pass who on the insane short passing lanes:rant:

So just make sure your trailer has brakes on all axles and works with brake- aways in place with battery working etc, has a sticker that states the GVW amount and don't go over that. I heard of guys without the GVW sticker on the trailer getting hassled. Don't go over the axles GVW weight on you truck either.

When you have trailer brakes the two separate out so to speak and then if you don't go over the GVW's individually and by axle GVW, your legal.

Anyway thats my understanding of how it works in BC. I'm sure though some mirror sunglass wearing DOT would have some other rendition!!;)

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when DOt pulled me over one time he had a yukon. my friend did the tires on it from kel tire and told me he is over weight for his tires that he had on it. when DOT puts there scales in the back and all there equipment they are over weight with the tires they had on it. so when i got pulled over 8 years ago for one sled on a 79 f-100 (ya the full size truck that cant haul anything legally) I had the box removed and a flat deck on it with a elan on it lol. that was the funny part. he pulled out his scales and said Im over my GVW. so I was pissed and said, "so who writes you a ticket for being over weight"? you know what that ba$tard said..... we can do what we want, because we write the tickets. so I said I dare you to write me a ticket because your rig is over weight with the tires you have on it, and I just want a reason to go to court and say Im over 100 pounds when your more than that..and you had the balls to say what you said to me (with a witness that was not in my truck). to this day I have towed two sled behind a suzuki sammy (big lift and 33 inch tires) and even got pass through a local road side DOT check. I dont think they could still be over weight? are they? I have now moved up to a 1500 chevy with the box removed and all that is on the back is 2 550 fan RMK.(the kids sleds) the two big sleds are on the trailer. just my 2 cents!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u do NOT need brakes on a single axle 2 place trailer in BC.

If your trailer GVW is over 1400kg (3000lbs) you NEED trailer brakes, so if you have a 2 place with 3500lbs axle you NEED brakes even if the actual weight is less then 3000lbs. Trailer brakes are a good idea even on a 2 place no matter how big of truck, a heavy truck doesn't do much good on a icy road if the trailer decides it wants to pass you.......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your trailer GVW is over 1400kg (3000lbs) you NEED trailer brakes, so if you have a 2 place with 3500lbs axle you NEED brakes even if the actual weight is less then 3000lbs. Trailer brakes are a good idea even on a 2 place no matter how big of truck, a heavy truck doesn't do much good on a icy road if the trailer decides it wants to pass you.......

any trailer over 2000 lbs must have breaks to be legal. thats trailer and cargo weight combined

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no you got me looking at my paper work for my snolander factory built 2 place sled trailer. it says GVW is 700 kg. WTF is going on? it has a 5 bolt axle with I think was a 3000 pound or even a 3500 pound axle. 700 kg is like what 1500 pounds. this must be a typo on the insurance papers. that would mean that the trailer is not even legal to haul my two sleds or it would be if the trailer it self only weighted in at 200 pounds. I think I'm going to go do some welding on it and go insure it as a u-built trailer. a u-built trailer is good for 1400 kg and needs no inspection. cost $18 buck to get reg. for it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any trailer over 2000 lbs must have breaks to be legal. thats trailer and cargo weight combined

I though it was 2000lbs to, but I checked, it might of changed but I can assure you it is 3000lbs now, in B.C anyways.

Not sure if you would get away with a u built trailer if it has a 3500lbs axle without brakes. If it is a 3000lbs or less axle you'd be ok though.

tom29

Reaction score
hahaha soo your telling me my 90 f150 4x4 with a 300 inline six with a sled deck is illegal
why does half or 3/4 ton matter as long its under GVW?? my half ton ford is rated for 3460kg aand with both sleds and fuel and two people im at 3000kg. far as paper work goes thats legal? and i been through cops with sleds on they didnt say nothing??

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well hers my .02c on this.. i lived in Prince George BC for a year for school. i have a 1500 hemi wiht a sled deck and i hauled a nytro and a skud everywhere for heck this is the 3ed year now. i have also had a deck with two sleds on and an open trailer wiht two sleds on it.. you have to pass the dot station on the way in and the way out been open many of times. be to revy lots too and u pass two on the way there from calgary. never had a problem at either.

de badge the truck, through some airbags in it and have fun at every other gas station u pass ill tell u that much. its expensive. but is it worth it. sure why not. getting tickets in bc is like getting a photoradar ticket its just a fine not an ticket. trust me i speed lots and i have a few tickets(paid for) just did a drivers abstract and well there wernt on there so i dono w/e

or the proper way. take two trucks or borrow a truck and trailer prity simple.

p.s. the are awesome at that place!!!

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
altho in climina last weekend our truck and a few others on sunday had tickets on them for improper trailers ect. heck even one guy had a ticket with a canned cooler on his hood.. lol PLEASE prove it was the driver or anyone who was in there.. so just make sure everythign looks ligit and ull be safe.. and the ridin area take the trailer off and park beside it.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well hers my .02c on this.. i lived in Prince George BC for a year for school. i have a 1500 hemi wiht a sled deck and i hauled a nytro and a skud everywhere for heck this is the 3ed year now. i have also had a deck with two sleds on and an open trailer wiht two sleds on it.. you have to pass the dot station on the way in and the way out been open many of times. be to revy lots too and u pass two on the way there from calgary. never had a problem at either.

de badge the truck, through some airbags in it and have fun at every other gas station u pass ill tell u that much. its expensive. but is it worth it. sure why not. getting tickets in bc is like getting a photoradar ticket its just a fine not an ticket. trust me i speed lots and i have a few tickets(paid for) just did a drivers abstract and well there wernt on there so i dono w/e

or the proper way. take two trucks or borrow a truck and trailer prity simple.

p.s. the are awesome at that place!!!
Regarding debadging the truck, adding airbags, heavier springs, etc, does NOT make the vehicle legal. Another comparision is this: You may be able to lift 300 lbs. Great! Can you do it steadily and in complete control for 8 hrs? The reason vehicles are listed with a GVWR is so they are safe, and are working within the engineered parameters. The hubs and bearings on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton are smaller then on a 1 ton. The rotors are thicker to dissipate heat, the calipers are generally 2 or 4 piston calipers... you get the idea. I am a liscenced mechanic, and see the effects of overloading trucks every day. I've done fatality inspections for the RCMP to determine if an MVA was caused by driver error, or equipment failure - these are not pretty to look at. I for one would rather ensure the safety of my passengers and others on the road - getting a call that your wife and family have passed is devistating, whether it was caused by an impaired driver or some clown who was overloaded and had brake fade. Don't think it can happen to you? Grow up and be a responsible adult, use the thing on your shoulders for more then a helmet rack...

Top Bottom