Teryx vs. Mule vs. Big Red

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used all three? We are looking at purchasing one for our farming crew and are wondering which one is the best. Needs to be reliable, we will put anywhere between 5-8 thousand kilometers a year. Also needs to be fairly smooth. We will be doing a lot of miles crossing fields with pivot tracks. We will consider the diesel mule but personally I don't know much about the mules or Big Reds. They will also be used to haul Honda pnps around(150lbs) plus another 50 lbs of hoses. We also need done decent found clearence so we don't get the buried in the muddy field we will be changing the tires to. Don't know what we will put on yet.

Any help will be appreciated

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the ranger, that seems to fit the bill ther best for what you need.....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the ranger, that seems to fit the bill ther best for what you need.....

Nope our local Polaris dealer is an a$$hole. That and I've never been a fan of Polaris products, the Rzrs look good but aren't built for our types of use. Never liked the look or feel of a Ranger. Rode in one a while back and didn't like it.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all great choices I say Kawi cuz you can always take her out and have some fun with it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5000 - 8000 km a year, strictly working it, it breaks my heart to say this but you should go with the Honda Big Turd. Your needs are the only reason honda can sell any of these things. :beer:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had thought about Kabota but they are too slow and heavy. They would get buried during springs like this and would destroy too much crop going across the fields.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is that?

because we own one and I don't find it to be reliable it might be the way I ride it too but 3 belts in 72 hours. The belt isn't easy to change like the Poo's. You have to take out the entire gas tank and pull apart the clutch.

You want work and play. Teryx is too much play, Mule is too much work, I think the Polaris Ranger would be a good balance for both.

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
because we own one and I don't find it to be reliable it might be the way I ride it too but 3 belts in 72 hours. The belt isn't easy to change like the Poo's. You have to take out the entire gas tank and pull apart the clutch.

You want work and play. Teryx is too much play, Mule is too much work, I think the Polaris Ranger would be a good balance for both.

I would think it's the way you ride it. Probably have big ass tires with no clutch kit and driving in high range through the mud holes if you are going through belts like that. I currently have two teryx's and have owned a total of three of them and I have blown one belt on my 2010 with the 840 kit 28" tires and 200 plus hours on it. I have no problems with the reliability on my machines.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to decide if it is a work vehicle or a play toy, workers get hurt = costing you money. slower go gets the work done, with less fooling around. is this for you, or for dumazz workers?

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think it's the way you ride it. Probably have big ass tires with no clutch kit and driving in high range through the mud holes if you are going through belts like that. I currently have two teryx's and have owned a total of three of them and I have blown one belt on my 2010 with the 840 kit 28" tires and 200 plus hours on it. I have no problems with the reliability on my machines.

Hey on the 2008's where do you fill up the coolant?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our crew is surprisingly good about how it treats the equipment. All our crew is family or Hutterites so we don't have too many problems.

It will be a work vehicle. We might take it up to the mountains once or twice a year but it's won't be doing much mud bogging. Only reason it will have mud tires is so we can use it to pull pivots out when they are stuck.

I've never understood how people burn belts so bad on their brutes and teryxs. I've had my brute a while now and never once replaced the belt. I guess my tires aren't that big right now either and it's clutched really low

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have taken a look at the Big Red and to me, its the obvious choice for work. Just like the Foreman was the obvious choice for a quad for us. We have been extremely happy with the performance and reliabliity so far, and I see the Big Red offering the same. For us, reliablity was the number one factor, and the Hondas are in a league of their own. Sure we wont win any races or be the king of the mudbog, but that isnt what we bought it for.

My second choice would be the Arctic Cat, we have a sister company running one, and pretty impressed so far. The commander is also high on the list, but the prices so far have been out to lunch for a work unit, and I dont play enough to justify the extra cost.

jasonmt

Reaction score
Take a good look at the 2011/12 POLARIS RANGER 6X6, 3 up seating. This machine is made for your needs, then build a Walking Beam Pullbehind Trailer (copy) of the Mountain Goat Trailer, do a search, and look for their Mule Goat Extream Trailer, and build it for your needs.
If you do not like your local Polaris Dealer, find another one.

Bruce.

I am guessing that you do not know where the OP is located because even the local Po-Po dealer (in Brooks) is ~25 minutes away and the next two are 1+ hour away (Lethbridge and Medicine Hat)...

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that you do not know where the OP is located because even the local Po-Po dealer (in Brooks) is ~25 minutes away and the next two are 1+ hour away (Lethbridge and Medicine Hat)...

:eek:Well I am sorry :rolleyes: but I thought I was trying to help you make a a choise. :confused:.

Bruce.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope our local Polaris dealer is an a$$hole. That and I've never been a fan of Polaris products, the Rzrs look good but aren't built for our types of use. Never liked the look or feel of a Ranger. Rode in one a while back and didn't like it.

It's too bad you have such an apparent bias towards Polaris, because the Ranger is a really good workhorse. It's towing and hauling capacities are industry leading, and they are the best riding/ handling work units out there.

Top Bottom