Sled stuck removal techniques. #4 packing snow and ski pull.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe most guys on here have enough experience to ignore this particular thread but who knows there may be some new riders that are just starting out. For those new riders this method of getting your sled unstuck is the most common. I can't believe how many times I have seen 2 or 3 guys lifting the back of a sled when it looks as if a good rider could get it unstuck with just a ski pull.

Either way you will be waiting for your buddies but while waiting start assessing the situation and start freeing your sled. Just about every stuck is due to the sled being "high centered" on the snow and the track spinning freely. When in this situation if you spin up the track you need to make it count as doing so could auger you in deeper. Remember that track can also bring snow through the tunnel and deposit it in front of the track too, making it more miserable to release.

Before lifting or pulling the shovel out, start stomping the snow down along and under your running boards. Try to pack the snow to at least the track level. Next clear under the bulkhead as this is also an area of high centering. Your skis are likely down under the snow too and to go forward they often have to climb up and this is also a restriction. Clear in front of the skis. Also clear the back of the track so the snow is reduced that can be brought up and through the tunnel.

To make sure the sled is no longer hung up, stand on a board and push and pull aggressively like you are trying to roll it over. This also packs the snow under the track to firm it up for traction. If you have no help coming by now you are probably not getting that ski pull. In that case you need to be extra sure you are not going to drive ahead and into another stuck If you are not sure, roll the sled up on edge and pack snow under the track on one side. Now pull it up on the other side and pack the other side. This not only gives better traction but repeating this process actually lifts the sled out of the hole slowly. This extra step is tiring but worth it if you are alone.

Now when you feel you are ready to move the sled you can take one more step to ensure it releases. You can actually pack snow behind the sled and behind the skis so you can back up a bit. Slowly moving forward and backward can farther pack a good runway out. Be very careful with throttle control here and don't back up too far or you are going to dig another hole.

Now rest. Too many mistakes are caused when you rush and you can't ride well if you are completely out of breath. A ski pull at this time makes a huge difference on your success of coming out of the stuck but if you did the previous steps well it will ride out. If you are going up hill from the stuck you greatly reduce your chance of success too.

Now when you take off you have 2 more choices. Ease it out slow or full throttle. We find with the ski pull from a friend it is much safer and usually works good to walk it out slowly. Myself, without help I will grab a big handful and go but it depends if the next 20 ft. are deep and uphill or more level and easy.

Don't forget to do up your helmet and fasten your tether at this time (if you don't have a Phantom Teth-Air)

I'm not the greatest rider but this process works for me. I always want to make it more efficient so I am sure there are better riders that can add a lot here or even tell me I am wrong or missing something. Please let us know what you can add?

One other thing. I used to clear snow with my foot by pushing snow with the side of my foot. I actually ripped my knee by doing so and now be very careful to kick my leg forward only and not sideways.

AND if you want a ski pull just wear a bright pink onsie and all the dudes will flock to your side when you get stuck because they will think your a chick! Saw this at Revy and laughed my ass off.

If you do get that ski pull, 2 guys pulling is better than 1 and if straps are put on the ski loops the pulling team can often pull at better angles and pull farther.

Last edited:
Top Bottom