Quaders Riding Alberta Beach Trails!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is manufactured as a quad it is always a quad. If manufactured as a truck it is always a truck. If you put tracks on a truck or quad it does not become a snowmobile. The anwser is they are not allowed. It is up to the club if they will tolerate having a truck or quad with tracks on a groomed snowmobile trail. It is all about respect of not damaging the trail. You cannot rightfully purchase a trail pass for a quad with tracks. Insurance and the law would deem it to be a quad not a snowmobile. Most landowners will sign a lease with the understanding that no quads will be on there property. Sorry that is the way it is.

Well IMO that's BS. If it has tracks and it should be permitted. SXS maybe not, a jeep or truck definetly not only because of their weights and widths, but an atv with tracks? Gimme a break guys-give me some good reasons why not? It doesn't cause anymore damage than a sled, it definetly isn't going faster than a sled, and it ain't that much wider. The insurance is a weak excuse as I have and anyone can get the same coverage for both. And what is this law? They are both deemed as Off Highway Use as far as registration is concerned.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
"snowmobile; A motorized vehicle solely designed to operate on snow or ice." Thats what our trail pass insurance covers, not ATV's modified for use on snow and or ice.

Well IMO that's BS. If it has tracks and it should be permitted. SXS maybe not, a jeep or truck definetly not only because of their weights and widths, but an atv with tracks? Gimme a break guys-give me some good reasons why not? It doesn't cause anymore damage than a sled, it definetly isn't going faster than a sled, and it ain't that much wider. The insurance is a weak excuse as I have and anyone can get the same coverage for both. And what is this law? They are both deemed as Off Highway Use as far as registration is concerned.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"snowmobile; A motorized vehicle solely designed to operate on snow or ice." Thats what our trail pass insurance covers, not ATV's modified for use on snow and or ice.

So change your policy. Why discriminate? Not everyone can afford to have both a sled and a quad.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Not club policy, it's an ASA directive, not sure if it's been brough up to them before or not. I've only been involved for a couple years.

So change your policy. Why discriminate? Not everyone can afford to have both a sled and a quad.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not as until the past few years there probably weren't that many quads on tracks with owners interested in riding the trails. I know if I lived close some good trails and had tracks I would be interested in supporting the trail system.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

May or may not be that easy. We all know how insurance works.
Club is not likely bring discriminatory as like you said yourself until the last few years nobody had tracks on their qaud.

As it is an Asa policy it may take a few tracked qaud guys to raise their concerns in order to get it changed
Attend a meeting and bring it up then go from there

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oilfield companies like to think so by posting no trespassing signs on lease roads even though it is crown land, good thing I have many lock combinations for around here and I can still get to all my favorite hunting spots by truck through the locked gates

If someone put up No Trespassing signs on Crown Land does that mean no one can go on it?

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding, If you can afford to have a quad with tracks Im guessing you can afford a sled, last I checked tracks are like $5000 bud, and usually with tracks comes a bigger newer quad to run those tracks, Im yet to see an old suzuki or honda 300 or whatever turning $5000 tracks man

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding, If you can afford to have a quad with tracks Im guessing you can afford a sled, last I checked tracks are like $5000 bud, and usually with tracks comes a bigger newer quad to run those tracks, Im yet to see an old suzuki or honda 300 or whatever turning $5000 tracks man

Actually you can get used sets for less.
And 5g is a far cry from 14g for a new sled. Plus insurance. Plus a place to keep it.
Plus maybe some guys don't like riding sleds.
And what does the price of tracks and sleds have to do with anything anyways? Maybe some guys just don't want a sled period even if they can afford to buy 10 of them for cash.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't realize people can only ride brand new $14,000 sleds, I was under the assumption that people could ride used sleds just like they can quads with used tracks, I guess Im wrong, I figured if they couldn't afford both they were tight for cash and would maybe ride an older used sled but I guess they can't.......... Your the one who said maybe some people cant afford both a sled and a quad so they should be able to ride their quad all year which they can, just stay off groomed trails when they are soft, pretty simple, I ride my quad all year but just choose to stay off the groomed trails leading to the warm up cabins, plenty of area to ride without having to ride a groomed trail, I also choose to stay off groomed trails on my sled most of the time as well because I personally think groomed trail riding is boring as hell, but evryone is different. I ride a groomed trail around here once maybe twice a year to go for a hot dog and a beer at the warm up cabins and when I do Id prefer not to have to deal with quad ruts that are frozen c*ck stiff. Other than that I ride the groomed trail in the mountains to get to the alpine without a sore back and legs

Actually you can get used sets for less.
And 5g is a far cry from 14g for a new sled. Plus insurance. Plus a place to keep it.
Plus maybe some guys don't like riding sleds.
And what does the price of tracks and sleds have to do with anything anyways? Maybe some guys just don't want a sled period even if they can afford to buy 10 of them for cash.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm saying the same thing. Keep your atv tires off the sled trails. If you got tracks I say giv'r though. No difference IMO as to how the trail will handle it. Tracks are tracks.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Ontario they close the groomed trails to quads during the winter even if they are running tracks. The police do fine culprits of this. And yes they have year round multi use trails as well but they get closed to quads during the winter season. Even if the snow melts in February, the quads are not allowed on the trails until a certain date in case it snows again and the trails can re-open for March.

Really comes down to common sense, which apparently quadders don't have much of?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Do quads hit the trails in B.C.?
There are some nice groomed trails in mcbride......lol...and valemount, revy, Fernie.....

In Fernie we frown upon it unless they have tracks. Our trails are for tracked vehicles only Nov 1 until May 1. We actually have more trouble with pick-ups trying the groomed and with quads. Doo they ever make a mess!!

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a groomer guy for the Iron Horse Trail. It is multi-use, and yes I get frustrated when I see quadders cutting up the snow grooming. It's a tough one all right because I too can enjoy both rides. Cranking donuts on fresh grooming is stoopid and unnecessary carnage of the worst kind. We groom for the enjoyment of others. Let's all have the respect for others that makes our outdoor world a better place...huh?

Top Bottom