Less sledding buddies to ride with

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My crew slowly got out of the mountain thing. I put more miles on now than ever around home with my son. Don't miss the drive west for sure but I do miss the blue bird days with fresh pow on the rare occasion it worked out...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My crew slowly got out of the mountain thing. I put more miles on now than ever around home with my son. Don't miss the drive west for sure but I do miss the blue bird days with fresh pow on the rare occasion it worked out...
Man I’ve tried to go back to prairie riding but I just can’t get into it! I use to live to ride sleds around here until my first mountain trip 30 years ago, bet I haven’t put on collectively 500 klicks at home in the 30 years since!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a number of passions and hobbies that carry me throughout the year. Jetboating/fishing. Riding my motorcycle and exploring areas of our awesome country. But non are my "life style" as snowmobiling is. I grew up with sleds as a child back east and its in my blood. Sledding is not a seasonal past time or something to do with the boys. I live it and breath it 365 days a year. Building and tuning during off season, riding during in season.
I'm lucky that I live in the middle of some of the most epic riding zones, but I still love to travel to certain areas to hookup with buddies.
I never have rode less then 12 times in a season but have exceeded 60+ times on a number of years. All mountain but I'm not fussy at times.
At 59 I can hang with any 30yr old and then some, I'm strong and feel strong and rarely run out of energy before others.
I'm picky with who I ride and that's my problem. Currently my best riding partner is KB(wife) and she's 66yrs of age, she keeps inspiring me at 66. She can also put some men to shame.
Finding new riding partners too me is almost like a job interview for both participants, I don't care about your skill level, everyone is welcome and I adjust accordingly new or advance its more about the attitude.
I rather ride solo then with a bunch of assholes and I've done that. Rode solo plenty of times and some rides its very enjoyable.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I’ve tried to go back to prairie riding but I just can’t get into it! I use to live to ride sleds around here until my first mountain trip 30 years ago, bet I haven’t put on collectively 500 klicks at home in the 30 years since!

My dad as well lol, he used to live to sled and rip the stubble fields in Sask , ride from morning to late at night burning 3 tanks a fuel a day sometimes. He went and rode the mountains for the first time in 2001 and has barely ever rode at home in Saskatoon since. He might have a 1000km since then in the prairies. He used to ride 4000km+ a year at home back in the 90’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1696988231881.png

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like lot's of sleds up for sale lately,don't know if it's a sign that people are getting out of the sport. Some people are finding it might be to expensive of a sport to stay in with the way the cost of living is going up. Look at sled prices in the last 5 years almost $10,000. raise in price. Hotel and restaurant,fuel etc is making it to be expensive every trip. Is this a factor for people finding riding groups getting smaller?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Seems like lot's of sleds up for sale lately,don't know if it's a sign that people are getting out of the sport. Some people are finding it might be to expensive of a sport to stay in with the way the cost of living is going up. Look at sled prices in the last 5 years almost $10,000. raise in price. Hotel and restaurant,fuel etc is making it to be expensive every trip. Is this a factor for people finding riding groups getting smaller?
I went from 40 days on the hill a few years ago to 4 last year. Finances were the main contributing factor to this drastic decline.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from 40 days on the hill a few years ago to 4 last year. Finances were the main contributing factor to this drastic decline.
Pick your evils ....don't gamble, don't smoke, few beverages now and again, couldn't care less about eating out and not much for travel / games / concerts / golf.. so I don't mind spending on sledding ...I buy used and don't give ch!t if my suit is a mix/match and can't for the life of me bother with money for a wrap - leaves more for sledding.
Just about 55 and will ride with the 20-30 year olds and up ...
If / when it comes down to trail rides as the option then I'm done - I like the challenge of riding trees and improving technique.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
cost and my kids have been the main reason I backed out last year. I can get out on a sxs way more and owning both didn't make sense financially. with the cost to ride going up so much taking the whole family was a once maybe twice a year thing. local snow hasn't been good in probably 6 years or so. too much money in equipment to have sit there and get used a few times a year. where as I get out on the sxs' with them all the time winter and summer. it just made sense. once I pay off a few things and the kids are a little older I'll look at getting back on the saddle.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m available weekdays and hope to get out lots. Spent the last 5 years pretty gibbled up , last year was pretty good. This year should be better. Can still hang with most! Amazing how a little boost makes up for old bones lol

Red-Rider

Reaction score
Newer mountain sledder here im 22 this year, worked 3 jobs to afford a truck and a 2004 summit 800 2 years ago. Loved every minute of it and will continue trying to sled. But last year i had to sell the sled and not ride for the year because it was too exspensive. Hopefully in a better spot financially this year to get out riding.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I’ve got my son and wife to ride with and both shred hard. My son is 14 now and is starting to scare me. Says he’s going to get a backflip dialled this year. I prefer to see his sled stay on the ground but after a summer if motocross and doing some big jumps I don’t think that’s happening anymore. It is so expensive chasing this sled thing especially running 3 machines. I’m glad I bought land in 09 and have built a cabin now out in the north Shuswap that I sled from. Really makes it a lot cheaper. I’m good at being broke. That’s where team dirt comes from. Was our old snowboard team from way back. Just some broke as$ dirt bags that will do anything to ride.

Top Bottom