Polaris or Skidoo?

Wacko Jacko

Reaction score
hey everyone! had an interesting Sunday riding west of edmonton and managed to toast two sleds!! Anyway debating on buying a new sled and just wondered peoples opinions and why btwn skidoo 800 vs polaris 800. am a trail/lake rider so any info would be great. am currently riding mid 90s machines but the wife got a new skidoo this year and i like the ride of it but i have heard bad about both brands 800s motors.
thx!

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! had an interesting Sunday riding west of edmonton and managed to toast two sleds!! Anyway debating on buying a new sled and just wondered peoples opinions and why btwn skidoo 800 vs polaris 800. am a trail/lake rider so any info would be great. am currently riding mid 90s machines but the wife got a new skidoo this year and i like the ride of it but i have heard bad about both brands 800s motors.
thx!

I say test ride both brands and see which one suits YOU. They both have positives and negatives...;)

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not brand Loyal but stay away from the Granade (Polaris 800) Test ride a Ski-doo or a new Cat...both nice sleds they just have a different riding style and both are pretty reliable. Also if you don't mind a couple extra pounds Yamaha has some nice sleds that are well worth the look...Just my 2 cents.

merv jennett

Reaction score
i prefer polaris myself ski-doo still having belt problems, at about 200.00 per belt can get costly. howes 7 belts in 1400klm.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any belt problems with the new ones and I ride with about 6 of them...Anyway a belt every 200k is still better then a seized sled every 200K and from what I seen that would be one of the better Polaris 800's...lol.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get motor aligned for $100 and stop blowing $200 belts. Or stop buying crappy ski doo belts and go to a better belt like a Gates or Carlisle. Half the reason the Doo belts suck is becuz BRP tried to cheap out on the compound and use a softer durometer rubber instead of a more traditional compound. They save $$$ but still charge the consumer the same amount for the belts....hmmmmm:rolleyes: GOT Cheap Chinese Knock-Offs? I gave up on Ski Doo belts years ago, they were junk back then and have only gotten worse IMO.

Break an aftermarket belt in properly and you'll never have a belt issue. On season #3 with the Ultimax on one of my mods and haven't even considered changing it out, it should easily last this year.

Never understood why people keep using products that don't work.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get motor aligned for $100 and stop blowing $200 belts. Or stop buying crappy ski doo belts and go to a better belt like a Gates or Carlisle. Half the reason the Doo belts suck is becuz BRP tried to cheap out on the compound and use a softer durometer rubber instead of a more traditional compound. They save $$$ but still charge the consumer the same amount for the belts....hmmmmm:rolleyes: GOT Cheap Chinese Knock-Offs? I gave up on Ski Doo belts years ago, they were junk back then and have only gotten worse IMO.

Break an aftermarket belt in properly and you'll never have a belt issue. On season #3 with the Ultimax on one of my mods and haven't even considered changing it out, it should easily last this year.

Never understood why people keep using products that don't work.

yupp tru dat
been using carlisle belts great belt
and of course ngk plugs

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just took the factory belt off my 2003 800 with 2400 miles on it, nothing wrong with it yet,but needed spare.bought a Dayco from Cambodian Tire.
freind has a M1 with the 1275 kit,turbo and nitrous, uses a belt about every 30 miles.But then no one I know can go where he goes either.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they are good I have almost 1000km on this one so far. Get the problem fixed.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just took the factory belt off my 2003 800 with 2400 miles on it, nothing wrong with it yet,but needed spare.bought a Dayco from Cambodian Tire.
freind has a M1 with the 1275 kit,turbo and nitrous, uses a belt about every 30 miles.But then no one I know can go where he goes either.

he probly has an issue. there are 300hp+machines running stock belts

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From 0to 5000 km my repair bill was one choke cable one belt and i rode the bag off it at 5023 k.m I decide to rebuild it voluntary from motor, clutches
track, sliders iam total believer in B.R.P 800 mxz rocket

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just sold my Rev 800 which was a spare for friends. I also have a spare Polaris IQ. Of the people who rode them, I would guess that it was split almost 50 / 50 down the middle as to which was preferred.

it is kinda like a blondes vs red head debate. There is no absolute correct answer, just whatever you think.

Top Bottom