Help Me Understand

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, new here, and never owned a Polaris anything before.
Wanting to order 4 new sleds for next winter, and have questions.
Polaris mountain snowmobiles come in RMK and Khaos, Slash models or not, series of tracks, 3 different engines, and more.
I want to get his and hers mountain sleds that climb like they want to reach heaven in a hurry, but not high maintenance.
Is that the RMK with R9 engine, and what track to get?
We ride central BC, often Barkerville area, but also the Pine pass, Torpy, Mcbride, Houston/Smithers area occasionally, and out towards the west of Williams lake on occasion.
We are new to the interior, mostly rode Whistler and Coquihala before, but we moved away from Vancouver.
We both ride Arctic Cats now, with 800 cc 2 strokes.
More power, and more track is our goal.

Then comes trail sleds, for outings to do long trail rides, often bumpy, don't need the fastest to cross the lake, just reliable and not gutless, but many kms in a day, what is a good choice from Polaris.
Wanting to get Polaris for the dealer proximity.

Thanks from a newbie.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850's are a proven winner for reliability and the 900R should be, after the first year bugs are worked out. Most issues have been non-motor related e.g. clutch issues. Any slash model is not best for trail riding because they will have slightly less cooling than non-slash tunnels. This said they are easy to keep cool if you know how to cool a sled without a snow-flap.

The Polaris sleds don't ride as smooth as the Doo's as they are more rigid but this rigid platform is light and agile while easy to control in rutted or steep conditions. The Pro's are more planted than the Khaos but if you get the Pro, pay the extra for the Velocity shocks so you can make adjustments for conditions. The Khaos already come with high/low adjustable shocks and are not "out of control" in the 165" model.

The series 8 tracks are good tracks for traction and 2.75" lug. Avoid the 3" as they are heavier and only 3" pitch so they don't add much more traction than you might expect. The 3" is possibly more durable though. Definatley get the big screen gauge if you can afford it.

No clue on the trail sleds but I think a Switchback crossover may be the model you should look at.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850's are a proven winner for reliability and the 900R should be, after the first year bugs are worked out. Most issues have been non-motor related e.g. clutch issues. Any slash model is not best for trail riding because they will have slightly less cooling than non-slash tunnels. This said they are easy to keep cool if you know how to cool a sled without a snow-flap.

The Polaris sleds don't ride as smooth as the Doo's as they are more rigid but this rigid platform is light and agile while easy to control in rutted or steep conditions. The Pro's are more planted than the Khaos but if you get the Pro, pay the extra for the Velocity shocks so you can make adjustments for conditions. The Khaos already come with high/low adjustable shocks and are not "out of control" in the 165" model.

The series 8 tracks are good tracks for traction and 2.75" lug. Avoid the 3" as they are heavier and only 3" pitch so they don't add much more traction than you might expect. The 3" is possibly more durable though. Definatley get the big screen gauge if you can afford it.

No clue on the trail sleds but I think a Switchback crossover may be the model you should look at.
I totally agree with all your points. I'm hoping to upgrade from my 2021 Pro and if I do the 7S gauge is a must. So many great features with that gauge. The 2.75" track would have the QD2 system.. The 9R certainly have clutching issues but that might be fixed on the 2024's.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I've never researched sleds much, bought myself a 2018 Cat, after renting a few times in Whistler.
Its been okay, a few small things that needed fixing, but overall been a good sled.
Time to replace it is all.
Got married this summer, wife rides a 2016 doo that has issues, and needs replacement.
Found this forum while trying to learn about the kakwa riding area.
Did some reading, seems like a great forum, so I joined it.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with all your points. I'm hoping to upgrade from my 2021 Pro and if I do the 7S gauge is a must. So many great features with that gauge. The 2.75" track would have the QD2 system.. The 9R certainly have clutching issues but that might be fixed on the 2024's.

What is QD2?

Is the 2.75" lug tracks a better design?

See had I not asked, would have assumed the more the better.

Can the clutch issues be fixed with a simple part, or is a whole new clutch required?

What breaks in the clutch?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is QD2?

Is the 2.75" lug tracks a better design?

See had I not asked, would have assumed the more the better.

Can the clutch issues be fixed with a simple part, or is a whole new clutch required?

What breaks in the clutch?
Quick drive 2 system instead of chaindrive. As per the clutching... unless you know lots about them I wouldn't play with them and I feel if you spend 25 grand on a sled a person would think the manufacture should have figured the weights and the spring IMO. the guys I ride with have the 2.75" and they work very well

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pick ur track size first-155” 163” 165”
What all around snow are u looking to ride and b happy with. Consider weight of riders and there capability,
Then chose engine size to match rider and sled with track.
For u…it’s no prob if u pick wrong, if u pick wrong for the wife….bad days=not fair for her to Handel.
What ever u do make her sled as light as u can…lol😜

Top Bottom