Quick 9r review

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I have about 6 rides on the 9r I thought I’d write a review on this sled. This is probably the most impressive sled I have ever rode. The bottom end on this engine is perfect for tree riding. The way it pops out of the snow from a dead stop is really something. If you feel the sled getting stuck on a sidehill and can remove your weight from the running board for a split second it will pop right back on top of the snow. If your ride this sled properly it will almost never get stuck. My last year sled was an 850 pro matryx slash 165 and this is basically the same sled with the 900 engine (and the 7s screen which is an absolute MUST). If you have a riding group and everyone has the 7S screen it makes the ride so much more fun. We don’t even really use the radios when this happens.

Pros- Lightweight, snappy, bottom end is STRONG, starts very well for a pull start(wish I had SHOT but this is ok), very reasonable on oil and gas consumption (close to a stock 850NA poo), 7s screen technology features are unmatched and essential.

cons- polaris scratchers suck, frozen throttle is still a thing (lock deicer or else), clutching is way off IMO (working on this at the moment), rides terrible on the bumpy trail, brake recall was executed poorly, voltage regulator still overheats when the snow is thick and vents get covered, throttle flipper vibrates quite a lot, 9r engine could be unreliable, p22 clutch might be worse than p85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But did you get it stuck yet?
Yesterday I launched off a tree climbing a drainage. When I landed I was on an uphill. I had to pull my ski down about 2 feet and was able to side hill out. I guess that’s a stuck. It was pretty steep and there was about 10 stucks on this section for the rest of the group.

Reactions: RXN

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I have about 6 rides on the 9r I thought I’d write a review on this sled. This is probably the most impressive sled I have ever rode. The bottom end on this engine is perfect for tree riding. The way it pops out of the snow from a dead stop is really something. If you feel the sled getting stuck on a sidehill and can remove your weight from the running board for a split second it will pop right back on top of the snow. If your ride this sled properly it will almost never get stuck. My last year sled was an 850 pro matryx slash 165 and this is basically the same sled with the 900 engine (and the 7s screen which is an absolute MUST). If you have a riding group and everyone has the 7S screen it makes the ride so much more fun. We don’t even really use the radios when this happens.

Pros- Lightweight, snappy, bottom end is STRONG, starts very well for a pull start(wish I had SHOT but this is ok), very reasonable on oil and gas consumption (close to a stock 850NA poo), 7s screen technology features are unmatched and essential.

cons- polaris scratchers suck, frozen throttle is still a thing (lock deicer or else), clutching is way off IMO (working on this at the moment), rides terrible on the bumpy trail, brake recall was executed poorly, voltage regulator still overheats when the snow is thick and vents get covered, throttle flipper vibrates quite a lot, 9r engine could be unreliable, p22 clutch might be worse than p85.

Pretty much nailed the review!!
7S is an awesome gauge, seeing others is such a great feature. Texting function is super too!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like the 9R has to much helix. Clearly not shifting out very far. A 56-42.36 is big helix for an N/A sled.

9R cluthcing.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you getting the warning with the brake Johnny? Might have install a switch so you can keep the brake circuit from closing so the ECM dosent see it

Pulled the brake fuse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone on facebook today said that you can tell your dealer you are opting out of the brake recall. This gets your sled off the 'stop ride' list without doing the flash to put in the engine cut logic.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nice Review.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put in a 120/320 primary spring and I’m right at 8300-8400.

How many km on the new spring? I usually go one size stiffer to account for the spring to settle. What kind of track speed are you seeing? I was 38-39mph in the heavier snow at the start of the week. Only change I have is a Diamond S Titanium can.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what rpm peak HP is achieved at? I saw a video a couple weeks ago and cannot find it but I'm sure it said anything over 8200rpm one is losing power. I know my well running M1000 back in the day was 7850rpm for the sweet spot.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the p22 use the same springs as the p85?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many km on the new spring? I usually go one size stiffer to account for the spring to settle. What kind of track speed are you seeing? I was 38-39mph in the heavier snow at the start of the week. Only change I have is a Diamond S Titanium can.

About 100 miles. As far as track speed it’s tough to say but on a side hill I was about 39-40 and on the same side hill with the boost I was 44 mph. But on a climb the boost has much better track speed.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what rpm peak HP is achieved at? I saw a video a couple weeks ago and cannot find it but I'm sure it said anything over 8200rpm one is losing power. I know my well running M1000 back in the day was 7850rpm for the sweet spot.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

I heard 8250. I have yet to see a dyno posted anywhere though.

Top Bottom