9R Khaos Slash 155

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into adding a new sled to my current line up. One that will compliment my SW as the riding season is changing.
Low snow, spring time warrior.
I have never owned a Polaris so I figured here is a chance to have one.
I got a line on the 9R Khaos Slash with a 155x2.75 track, looks like it will be a riot to ride in the current conditions.
No E-start or fancy dash just basic simple model.
I'm looking for input on durability, issues with or recalls on the 9R if any.
Will I need to recalibrate the clutches and what is the difference between the Khaos vs Pro?
The sales guy mentioned the Pro is another option. I do not know the dealer so not sure if he is being up front as many are full of BS.

I'm not concern about weight and comparing with other brands as I have owned the others at one time or another.
Especially not interested in comparing with SW as they are completely different animals and will be working together.
Thanks for any helpful input.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A kaos is more playful than the pro which is more predictable. Check out the Muskoka freerider on you tube as puts lots of seat time on the pro. Clutching durability has been a issue on the 9rs.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like they are breaking the clutches?
I definitely don't want reliability issues or Polaris 900 of the past BS haunting me.
I will try to check Muskokas but they are abusive so I didn't think the brand matter, thing will break.
I heard maybe fueling issues, is this true?

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into adding a new sled to my current line up. One that will compliment my SW as the riding season is changing.
Low snow, spring time warrior.
I have never owned a Polaris so I figured here is a chance to have one.
I got a line on the 9R Khaos Slash with a 155x2.75 track, looks like it will be a riot to ride in the current conditions.
No E-start or fancy dash just basic simple model.
I'm looking for input on durability, issues with or recalls on the 9R if any.
Will I need to recalibrate the clutches and what is the difference between the Khaos vs Pro?
The sales guy mentioned the Pro is another option. I do not know the dealer so not sure if he is being up front as many are full of BS.

I'm not concern about weight and comparing with other brands as I have owned the others at one time or another.
Especially not interested in comparing with SW as they are completely different animals and will be working together.
Thanks for any helpful input.
Great sleds and a lot of fun. Spark plug issues are fuel related(they like high octane non ethinol), most of us are not having any plug issues. We have 2 9R’s with about 800 miles on each one, zero plug issues.
Have been some p22 clutches issues, internet always magnifies this. Small percentage of guys having issues with the p22. Most of those are guys who ride extremely hard and generally have issues on any brand they ride as they put the STRESS test to any sled they ride.
Watch Brett Turcotte, Matt Entz or Caleb on their 9R’s, extremely capable and off the charts fun sleds to ride. And they do just fine in the super deep.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like they are breaking the clutches?
I definitely don't want reliability issues or Polaris 900 of the past BS haunting me.
I will try to check Muskokas but they are abusive so I didn't think the brand matter, thing will break.
I heard maybe fueling issues, is this true?
I think the plug issue is fuel. The porcelain is breaking and that’s a sign of detonation.. They need good fuel, from a reputable fuel station like shell, Chevron, Esso… I’ve had no issues with mine, it works very well.. Some have had clutch issues, broke springs and some primary’s which is not a good thing ( my dealer has not had one through his shop yet) but I would imagine Polaris will address that by this coming fall..

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the plug issue is fuel. The porcelain is breaking and that’s a sign of detonation.. They need good fuel, from a reputable fuel station like shell, Chevron, Esso… I’ve had no issues with mine, it works very well.. Some have had clutch issues, broke springs and some primary’s which is not a good thing ( my dealer has not had one through his shop yet) but I would imagine Polaris will address that by this coming fall..
The dealers and Polaris ambassadors I know are seeing very few issues with the 9R. Very very small percentage with clutch issue, even smaller percentage with plug issues (fuel related). Overall these sleds and motors are holding up very well. They all can break with enough abuse.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Polaris dealer in Vernon sucks, never dealt with them but first impressions are important and I wasn’t impressed with the attitude.
Plus the sales guy tells me he is not a sledder and goes by what people have told him.
So I will be going to Backus, instead now, they are passionate about sledding and have a good rep. from what I hear.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another question, how well does the rear suspension or the sled in general handle a heavy rider. I’m 275-280 geared up.
Thus why the SW for me is easy to handle.
My current A/C, the sled my wife normally rides, when I ride it the rear skid gets pounded even when set to max.
I suspect I will need to upgrade the rear shocks and springs or is the factory setup up to the task.
I have seen plenty of Pro units with broken rear skids over the years, more then other brands.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another question, how well does the rear suspension or the sled in general handle a heavy rider. I’m 275-280 geared up.
Thus why the SW for me is easy to handle.
My current A/C, the sled my wife normally rides, when I ride it the rear skid gets pounded even when set to max.
I suspect I will need to upgrade the rear shocks and springs or is the factory setup up to the task.
I have seen plenty of Pro units with broken rear skids over the years, more then other brands.
I weight pretty much the same as you and have not had any issues with the factory equipped suspension. One thing I did notice between the Pro and the Khaos preference amongst the people I ride with is that those 5’9”ish and shorter preferred the Khaos, (that includes me) where those around the 5’10” were on the fence, all the guys taller all leaned towards the Pro. It seems as though the taller guys with the weight up higher tend to over ride the Khaos.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 165 9R Pro. It is one of 4 in our group. No spark plug or clutch issues on any of the 4. Love the sled, I am 230lbs before gear and ran the stock suspension for a few rides before switching to Fox QS3’s. Stock was ok, the Fox suspension is a nice upgrade. Don’t think you would regret buying a 9R Khaos or Pro.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m 6ft, so good to know, the pro maybe a better option. I will talk to my dealer about that and see what he says.
Thanks, great info on that.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
The Khaos for 23 has a steeper rail profile, longer front track shock and limiter strap, high and low speed adjustable shocks and front aluminium overstructure. To me the longer front track shock and limiter strap makes the sled feel lighter on the front and, almost like it is pivoting on a ball right below your feet. The Khaos springs are pretty beefy and the factory settings are almost backed right off so there should be lots of room to adjust it for your rider weight.

I have 300 miles on mine, 155 2.75 9R Khaos. I ride 5500 to 6800 ft. I put in a 295 shift out primary spring. The cups the spring sit in on the P22 are not machined correct and it chews the paint off the spring. There is metal dust coming from the weights since they are offset and not centered on the pin side loading them. Even with the 295 spring it isn't shifting out and still runs 8650rpm. No spark plugs or engine issues.

I like the sled. It's on warranty so I let it spin at 8650 and it is a race car. It is very snappy off the bottom. The slash tunnel is great, it will make a 4 foot deep trench and keep going.

If you have a big HP Sidewinder the 9R Khaos will be the perfect second sled.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know 4 guys that have the 9R and have yet to have issues. One guy did order in a kit from the states for his clutch and seems to be dialed in now. The 24 pro and khaos have the same rails now. When I ordered my 24 pro I was told its a bit more playful than the 23's due to the changes

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Khaos for 23 has a steeper rail profile, longer front track shock and limiter strap, high and low speed adjustable shocks and front aluminium overstructure. To me the longer front track shock and limiter strap makes the sled feel lighter on the front and, almost like it is pivoting on a ball right below your feet. The Khaos springs are pretty beefy and the factory settings are almost backed right off so there should be lots of room to adjust it for your rider weight.

I have 300 miles on mine, 155 2.75 9R Khaos. I ride 5500 to 6800 ft. I put in a 295 shift out primary spring. The cups the spring sit in on the P22 are not machined correct and it chews the paint off the spring. There is metal dust coming from the weights since they are offset and not centered on the pin side loading them. Even with the 295 spring it isn't shifting out and still runs 8650rpm. No spark plugs or engine issues.

I like the sled. It's on warranty so I let it spin at 8650 and it is a race car. It is very snappy off the bottom. The slash tunnel is great, it will make a 4 foot deep trench and keep going.

If you have a big HP Sidewinder the 9R Khaos will be the perfect second sled.
Great info.
Going to go to a different dealer today (Backus) I heard they have a good inventory needing to liquidate. LOL
Vernon's dealer sucks.
Ya, the SW isn't very much fun in low snow, spring riding. Its built specific(custom) for deep days.
I ride the A/C but that leaves the wife out of the picture and then I'm back on the SW.
I realize it wont be a power house like the SW with an MCX 250hp and 200ftlbs of torque on a 600lb chassis RTR.
But the combined shorter track and 900 torque on a lighter chassis should make it a blast for what I'm looking for when riding with the wife in our local areas.
That is exactly my thought, it will a perfect sled for that given day.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
backus will be a good choice but make sure to talk to nick at m&m in kelowna too
they have been accomadating to some of my pol rider friends

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info.
Going to go to a different dealer today (Backus) I heard they have a good inventory needing to liquidate. LOL
Vernon's dealer sucks.
Ya, the SW isn't very much fun in low snow, spring riding. Its built specific(custom) for deep days.
I ride the A/C but that leaves the wife out of the picture and then I'm back on the SW.
I realize it wont be a power house like the SW with an MCX 250hp and 200ftlbs of torque on a 600lb chassis RTR.
But the combined shorter track and 900 torque on a lighter chassis should make it a blast for what I'm looking for when riding with the wife in our local areas.
That is exactly my thought, it will a perfect sled for that given day.
Backus may be out now of 9rs phone ahead of going

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
backus will be a good choice but make sure to talk to nick at m&m in kelowna too
they have been accomadating to some of my pol rider friends
Thanks, will do. Was planning on going to Banner in Kelowna anyhow for the wifes CanAm Saturday. Sledding Sunday, maybe on a new POOO.

Top Bottom