500 mile review of Polaris matryx slash 165

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
500 mile review of Polaris matryx slash 165

Now that I have 500 miles on my sled I think I can share my thoughts on the good and bad of this sled.

The good….

Handling. This sled holds an edge and handles like no other. Switching from skidoo last season makes it seem even better. Much more confident going through trees carrying speed. Once it’s on edge it gets there and stays there. Very easy to drop your uphill ski with a shot of brakes to get underneath a tree. I struggled with this on the G4.

Lightweight. Noticeable difference getting out of a stuck. Pops up on top of the snow. Maybe slightly less bottom end grunt than the g4 but better mid and top. The new tunnel design is great And I have not had issues with cooling.

Serviceability. Plastics seem to come off very easily and I like how the entire front end suspension is accessible with an impact. Track change on the belt drive model is a 20minute job. They also fixed the drivers finally and went to external and deleted the stupid middle driver.

I opted for the standard gauge which was a HUGE mistake. All my friends have the iPad screen and it works very well. A game changer for riding the trees with a group. Can see everyone on a map and even shows their track speed/direction of movement. If you get this sled you absolutely must get the screen.

The bad….

Pullstart. I miss SHOT. A lot. It’s embarrassing to pull the rope 3 times and the thing doesn’t start without using the throttle.

Throttle. What a POS! Constantly freezing on the cable and body filling with snow. This is a terrible design and has forced me into riding a lot without my bar warmers on because I’m just sick of the thing freezing at the worst time. Carry lock deicer.

Fuel tank. Why go smaller? The tank size was perfect on the Axys. I don’t like it.

Overheating voltage regulator. Why put the voltage regulator in the top of the pyramid structure where all the heat sits? It’s metal and it gets too hot. This makes the sled not start on the hill and you have to wait 15 or 20minutes for it to cool down enough to ride. Maybe the tight plastics are just running the very edge of enough cooling. Not a problem on most days just when the snow is heavy and you’re riding hard. Might need to add some venting.

Air intakes. Not glued on the greatest and have a big shelf for snow to sit on. More exposed to tree branches than the Axys.

Overall I’m pretty happy about this sled. I’m a Polaris fanboy but have owned all the brands. I do not expect this to hold up as good as my previous skidoo which was virtually trouble free for 2000km.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to watch is where the pull rope goes thru a guide grommet/ring. The very first day buddies was already showing signs of fraying

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to watch is where the pull rope goes thru a guide grommet/ring. The very first day buddies was already showing signs of fraying

I’ll look at mine. The plastic that holds the pull rope handle in place broke on me so I’ve got mine all duct taped. No matter how bad it is, it can’t be worse than a 2018 arctic cat.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does yours seem like a pig on fuel?

Went for a rip today around home for not very long and mostly cruising. Said he was only showing 35% fuel left. Were talking like 2.5 to 3 hours of riding.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Went for a rip today around home for not very long and mostly cruising. Said he was only showing 35% fuel left. Were talking like 2.5 to 3 hours of riding.
i don't like the elec guage. i still like the filler cap guage. two days riding at the end of each day it said i had 30% left. took 20L to fill it both days so still had lots.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't like the elec guage. i still like the filler cap guage. two days riding at the end of each day it said i had 30% left. took 20L to fill it both days so still had lots.

True, the digital gauge sucks. The old mechanical gauge never lied. If you’re hitting the bumps and the needle isn’t moving on reserve you know it’s running on fumes.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GPS and ability to track your buddies on the screen sounds sick. When the sled is off are you able to power the screen up still?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GPS and ability to track your buddies on the screen sounds sick. When the sled is off are you able to power the screen up still?

Yeah. The screen can stay on quite a long time after the sled is shut off. 15minutes for sure. You do not need estart as the pull start version has a small auxiliary battery.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The screen can stay on quite a long time after the sled is shut off. 15minutes for sure. You do not need estart as the pull start version has a small auxiliary battery.
did not know that. learn something new everyday. axys would reboot every time without estart.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not really. Better than a doo 850 in deep snow riding. I just reset my trip every ride and know I’m good for 40 really hard miles. The turbo is definitely thirsty and needs a Jerry. It’s also not good to run the turbo out of fuel with the pump problems they have been having.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your bumper rubbing on the pipe? That is the only issue I have had with mine. 550 miles and running like a top. Power is impressive from a bone stock sled

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your bumper rubbing on the pipe? That is the only issue I have had with mine. 550 miles and running like a top. Power is impressive from a bone stock sled

Yeah, I think almost all of the ones I’ve looked at are. They’re gonna have to give me a new pipe and bumper under warranty.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like they just put out a stop riding notice to some/all owners of these sleds, related to the throttle getting stuck and not returning to idle. Basically the old Toyota Camry floor mats situation.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Looks like they just put out a stop riding notice to some/all owners of these sleds, related to the throttle getting stuck and not returning to idle. Basically the old Toyota Camry floor mats situation.
Been an issue for a long time. I used to have the throttle freeze the pin in so the TSS was basically froze satisfied and then the cable would start to freeze. Had a few scary situations. Even with a tether on when it's wide open you can't get it pulled fast enough. The finger throttle is way better than the factory block I find.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone must have gotten hurt with it on video that the throttle stuck open. That's the only reason I can imagine they would issue this bombshell notice now.

It's been basically the same throttle block, cable, and throttle safety switch for many years. Though the throttle cable is slightly different on the 2022 Matryx RMK, adjustment moved to a different spot.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Where did you see this?

Top Bottom