Trail Riding 2015 Ski-Doo Summit ?

Slopedeceder

Reaction score
I’m thinking of doing a Yellowstone area trail riding trip with my dad, he has trail sled, but I have a mountain sled.

Can I get away with trail riding a couple hundred miles on my 2015 Summit XM 800 163 2.5” lug? I would like to avoid renting a sled. Im aware it’s not going to handle like a trail sled, but if I can cruise at 40mph comfortably I would be happy.

If this isn’t a terrible idea, any advice on setting up my sled? I know I can adjust the bars (maybe even a shorter riser), switch the skis to the wider stance…other suggestions.

Last edited:

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely good scratches. I've done some trail riding with my 163 and it's good. Do try and get off trail some if not for the sled at least for the love of powder

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if you can track down some ice storm scratchers, they throw a pile of snow dust into the skid. I've put plenty of trail miles on my 154 XM with the 2.5 track with little to no issues.

They also make ones that go on the skis that get even more snow dust going. Not really a need unless you are riding on trails that are ice after a agressive freeze thaw cycle.

You could bring along a set of sliders with you if you get in a pickle as well.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We were in Island Park in 2017 "off peak season" they were plowing the trails back to roads already. We rode our mountain sleds no problem. Just had our scratchers down! I run a 2.6" track on my 13 M800 short cooler and had zero problems.

You'll be fine. Just enjoy the beauty of that area!

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife rides her 16 154 3 inch 2200 miles and last few years most those miles have been at home 0 issues and track looks great

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fyi lots of "mountain" sleds are ridden exclusively on the trails ... Some want to look the part but are afraid of getting stuck or scratching the wrap ...6" is considered a lot of powder for some ;)

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could put this in the “rant” thread but it’s bizarre how many mountain sleds you see ripping around here in Saskatchewan (well nothing was ripping this year). Pretty well the majority of sleds to be honest. And I’d say 90% of them never see anything but flatland riding. I guess guys just do it to look cool but if I didn’t ride out west, not a chance I’d drag a mountain sled around out here. A shorty would be so much more fun. Oh well. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fyi lots of "mountain" sleds are ridden exclusively on the trails ... Some want to look the part but are afraid of getting stuck or scratching the wrap ...6" is considered a lot of powder for some ;)

Isn’t this the truth.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey man, some ppls 6” is actually 12” hahahah

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could put this in the “rant” thread but it’s bizarre how many mounsleds you see ripping around here in Saskatchewan (well nothing was ripping this year). Pretty well the majority of sleds to be honest. And I’d say 90% of them never see anything but flatland riding. I guess guys just do it to look cool but if I didn’t ride out west, not a chance I’d drag a mountain sled around out here. A shorty would be so much more fun. Oh well. To each their own I guess.

Lots guys like the narrownl front end and its moreplayfull here then just a trail sled i own both 23 turbo for out west and a shorty rev for home both still fun to ride depends what your into 3 unch tracks tho is the issue lol guys think they can go 70mph everhwbere abd wonder why tbere tracks explode, but honestly a 146 summit is more fun the a 121 mxz with the 42 inch front end

Last edited:
Top Bottom