Boost 165 VS Turbo Doo 165 Comparison

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, Here is my take on probably the best side by side comparison Maxwell and I could have done on the weekend.

The Polaris Boost bottom end is horrible compared to the Skidoo. For me, the Matryx chassis suits my height way better. The Matryx seems to respond to forward and back movement to keep the sled from flipping over better then the Doo. I believe the torsion spring rear suspension is the main reason for this. The ground speed the boost builds is impressive. However, thats only in set up snow. If its deep fresh snow it will NOT hold speed like the Doo. The 2.75 track does not have the same hook as the Doo 3" in deep powder.

The 34" front end on the Doo is noticeable compared to a 36". Does a 6'8, 240lb ride need that, i really don't think so. I have my Boost set in the middle position as its just too tippy.

Both sleds were still in break in mode as well. The Boosts fuelling is so fat of the bottom that it almost feels like its going to stall sometimes.

And this was done after i had finish screwing around with clutching and was able to gain a few more MPH track speed on the boost. If it was stock it would have been an easy win for the Doo.

So, if you have 23K burning a hole in your pocket, the Doo is a better buy. They run cleaner, better track and better clutching. The polaris needs clutching to keep up with the doo in the deep snow.

If the snow isn't 2 feet deep, the Boost is considerably faster then the Doo.

Im sure some people will disagree with me and have their own opinion, but everyone agreed with the outcome that was there riding with us.

Side note, there both really fast, fun sleds. Heres a quick video of how fast the boost is when you track poach... lol

Attachments

• IMG_1775.MOV
    5 MB
Last edited:

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest review !!
I could watch that video all day, Heaven right there !!!!!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, i think what we did was about as good as it gets. I see a lot of videos floating around online of guys drag racing and sometimes the Polaris wins sometimes the skidoo wins. Me and ben actually picked a good hill with minimal run in and actually switched sleds back and forth. I took my sled first and pulled a very straight line and then attempted the exact same line 5 feet over with the boost. There was a steep transition at the bottom so you couldn't hit the hill with any speed which made it pretty fair.

My findings are very similar to bens it seems when the boost is on an existing track it makes more ground speed than the skidoo for sure, comments from the people watching noticed that right away. But something about that skidoo in the deep snow whether its the track or the torque of that stroked 850 just makes it keep chewing and chewing. I could not get the speed or traction in a fresh deep line to get to my first mark i made with the expert after 2 attempts, i took a little cheat for about 50ft in an existing track to give me some boost and then it was no problem to get to my mark. The engine is making good power but it just cant seem to get it down to the snow as good as the skidoo ( at least in the snow we were riding, 2 feet of nice sugar cold snow ). My best explanation would be that the Boost loses ground speed faster in deep snow and once it does, it doesn't have enough traction to overcome and you have to turn out. i would really like to see one of these boosts with a skidoo track on it, i really think that would make a huge difference as the sled is lighter and making more power, if you can get it to the ground it should be a clear winner. The snow we rode was very good, I'm not so sure how the skidoo would stack up in more marginal snow conditions as the boost does make impressive ground speed when it has traction. But, for me, i live for the deep days so that's kind of irrelevant for myself.

i am aware that there are more factors that go into what makes a good/best mountain sled other than just a straight up climb. So take it for what it is. But stock to stock 165 to 165 turbo to turbo the skidoo expert does slightly out perform the boost in deep snow from what we could see. We aren't talking about leaving it in the dust either, with capable riders these machines are very good and very close to each other.

as to the engine, the skidoo does have a better bottom end in terms of response and the engine does run cleaner. Once your past the bottom end the Polaris is pretty impressive, i didn't think Polaris had it in them but it does clean up and have great on/off throttle response.

I feel way more comfortable on the Matryx chassis aswell, i think they did a good job here. The new gauge is next level, Polaris solved the 20 year old problem of where is my riding buddy? and that's something that should be on every snowmobile. As these sleds get better and better those are the features we are going to be looking for in a purchase rather than raw power.

end of the day, cant really go wrong with either of these sleds. Pick your poison, if a light sled is your thing the polaris is the ticket, if deep snow performance is whats important then out of the box the skidoo may be a better choice.

Ben also talked about the 34" front end. At first i wasn't a fan, but its one of those small changes that you dont apreciate until you go back and ride the last version. ( which i did this weekend) and i will never go back to the 36". Other than the trail ride the 34" front end is better/easier in all other scenarios. As ben mentioned, if your tall with lots of leverage its probably not as critical, But it sure helps little fat guys like me.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hopefully when both sleds are broke in(or the poo dies a horrible engine death... lol) you can redo the comparison... I know they both wake up substantially after break-in :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully when both sleds are broke in(or the poo dies a horrible engine death... lol) you can redo the comparison... I know they both wake up substantially after break-in :)

not so sure about that anymore with these new sleds. i have one that's out of break-in and it performs identical. top RPM didnt change at all after it was out of breakin mode.

i have never noticed a difference from breakin on any of these new sleds the last few years. Some people say they do, havent noticed it myself.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a doo track on my boost, going to stewart/hyder this weekend. 6 feet in the last week there. Will have 3 other boost and 2 factory doo with us.
That will be interesting. look forward to some videos.

snobyrd

Reaction score
Mmm i find these comments intresting. Im in sicamoose, i ride a 22 65 khoas with my own clutch kit , my group has 2 65 doo turbos and 1 75 doo turbos and the only sled that gives me trouble is the 75 in certian condtions. If we are up against a steep slope with min run, ill out climb all 3 doos. My sled is a missile and i constantly get comments from the doo guys about my ground speed, my track speed is a honest 44/45 mph. Im not one bit impressed with the performance of the tbo doo, im roughly 55 ish pounds lighter and my hp to weight ratio at 6000 feet is as good if not better than the doo.
My riding partner is picking up his boost tmro a 55 , so we will get a chance to compare my 65 na too his 55 boost.
My partner also has a 22 65 pro that hes trading back in for his boost but was on the fence cause he loves his pro na so much.
Btw, my sled blows away his stocker with stock clutching in all ranges of power, over a 100 feet in one climb at blue lake in the trees.
Now i know u might think im just a key board warrior, but thats untrue, i ride 2/3 times a week with some very well respected riders, maxwell i guided the tumbler group last yr at queest when you were there.
Anyways intresting comments and we will come to our own conclusion of na vs boost this week.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems crazy that guys are debating the NA vs the boost. I have ridden the NA and I would gladly take any extra power you would give me! Is it just the weight of the turbo isn't worth the extra ponies? A little bit of lag? Guys are so hung up on weight now a days its crazy. I blame Burandt :LOL:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I were at Renshaw Jan 29 with his T-Doo and I had my Boost.
I would say we found exactly what Ben and Max did.
The Boost cleanly beat the Doo if there was traction or less than two feet of snow.
I did not post the Boost track speed on set up snow as did not want the wrath of the Doo-ers crying foul but it was 56mph coming out of spirit lake with my fat azz on the Boost. Coming down trail at the end of day I hit 74mph, not good for the track but hell I just wanted to know.......
Tables turned for sure in the couple spots that the snow was deeper and then the Doo was faster, I am also 50# heavier than my brother but I think the Doo was faster in the deep. Doo has always had a strong motor.
Was first day out for both sleds.
The Poo runs so fat on the bottom I swear I could smell gas.
Hopefully this cleans up after breakin and out of the hole performance improves a bit.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems crazy that guys are debating the NA vs the boost. I have ridden the NA and I would gladly take any extra power you would give me! Is it just the weight of the turbo isn't worth the extra ponies? A little bit of lag? Guys are so hung up on weight now a days its crazy. I blame Burandt :LOL:

i agree, i understand that weight is an important factor and maybe a 50lb lighter sled works fantastic compared to the factory boost options. But when you throw a leg over any of the factory boost model sleds for a day and then switch back to an N/A model its just not the same. Not nearly as fun. Actually kind of lame...lol

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I were at Renshaw Jan 29 with his T-Doo and I had my Boost.
I would say we found exactly what Ben and Max did.
The Boost cleanly beat the Doo if there was traction or less than two feet of snow.
I did not post the Boost track speed on set up snow as did not want the wrath of the Doo-ers crying foul but it was 56mph coming out of spirit lake with my fat azz on the Boost. Coming down trail at the end of day I hit 74mph, not good for the track but hell I just wanted to know.......
Tables turned for sure in the couple spots that the snow was deeper and then the Doo was faster, I am also 50# heavier than my brother but I think the Doo was faster in the deep. Doo has always had a strong motor.
Was first day out for both sleds.
The Poo runs so fat on the bottom I sear I could smell gas.
Hopefully this cleans up after breakin and out of the hole performance.
So is it track or clutching? It clearly has the power on the harder snow. My guess is the clutching could use some work.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree, i understand that weight is an important factor and maybe a 50lb lighter sled works fantastic compared to the factory boost options. But when you throw a leg over any of the factory boost model sleds for a day and then switch back to an N/A model its just not the same. Not nearly as fun. Actually kind of lame...lol
Yes
There is a definite difference and that can not be denied, and to an intermediate or better rider you will feel it and you will not want to go back.
If you want even a greater spread to an NA just throw a tune and clutch kit at a turbo, an option that is just not there with an NA.
Maybe the turbo is questionable to some at 6000' and under but above there is no denying the performance gain and aftermarket huge power gains taking you to 200+hp with good reliability.
Once you start down the path first hand there is no denying the potential.
Then weight and chassis flickability (had to say it) becomes the next area of the full package.

Last edited:

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So is it track or clutching? It clearly has the power on the harder snow. My guess is the clutching could use some work.
BOTH. Track speed was right around 44-45mph stock by the end of the day that was up to 49-50mph. It was significantly stronger. The biggest issue is the lack of traction in deep snow. the 2.75 just sucks compared to the Doo 3". We already new this as we have been cutting Doo tracks and putting them on our polaris sleds for a few years now. Polaris really needs to build an actual deep snow track. Sucks to spend 23K and then need $400 in clutching and $1500 on another track.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the top end speed it has a further gear down may help hold track speed.
Clutching gurus will be able to improve track speed also, just need consistent track speed.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BOTH. Track speed was right around 44-45mph stock by the end of the day that was up to 49-50mph. It was significantly stronger. The biggest issue is the lack of traction in deep snow. the 2.75 just sucks compared to the Doo 3". We already new this as we have been cutting Doo tracks and putting them on our polaris sleds for a few years now. Polaris really needs to build an actual deep snow track. Sucks to spend 23K and then need $400 in clutching and $1500 on another track.

Burandt says the 2.75 is the best and thats all anyone will ever need because thats what he uses. So stop complaining.

Top Bottom