500 mile review of Polaris matryx slash 165

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve convinced myself that the NA matryx is so good that I don’t understand the purpose of the turbo.

Turbo bottom end is garbage. Getting out of a stuck with the turbo by yourself is not as easy. NA feels lighter on the skis and is much snappier.

Sucks back the fuel and you have to pack a Jerry can. Oil consumption is surprisingly good.

2 years less warranty on snow check. Good luck selling these without warranty.

If you’re riding 4000-6500ft elevation they are not a huge advantage. Don’t get me wrong they do rip and climb very well, but not when you consider the additional cost.

You will still get to all the same places with the NA, just have to work a little bit harder. I’ll probably just get another NA next year but you have to get the 7s screen. It’s a big deal.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope Doo sees how well that rear tunnel section seems to not get hung up and can dig down to earth

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve convinced myself that the NA matryx is so good that I don’t understand the purpose of the turbo.

Turbo bottom end is garbage. Getting out of a stuck with the turbo by yourself is not as easy. NA feels lighter on the skis and is much snappier.

Sucks back the fuel and you have to pack a Jerry can. Oil consumption is surprisingly good.

If you’re riding 4000-6500ft elevation they are not a huge advantage. Don’t get me wrong they do rip and climb very well, but not when you consider the additional cost.

You will still get to all the same places with the NA, just have to work a little bit harder. I’ll probably just get another NA next year but you have to get the 7s screen. It’s a big deal.

I had a feeling, you would like the NA better dollar for dollar.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope Doo sees how well that rear tunnel section seems to not get hung up and can dig down to earth

Ha ha yeah I know about that. I put a rock through my cooler.

IMG_0991.jpg

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well, I believe the purpose of most turbo's is to add power.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo 165 was pulling 51mph
NA 165 was pulling 40mph

The turbo definitely climbs better. This was at 6500ft elevation and in fresh snow.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My current sled is a 2022 RMK 165 2.75 850, pull start, fancy factory shocks, ~500km and out of break in.
I was on the hill with a buddy and his new 2022 RMK 165 2.75 850 BOOST, electric start, basic factory shocks, ~90km and still in break in.

I gave the boost about a 10 minute test ride. We had pretty good snow to test in, not crazy deep but enough to slow the sleds down.

My thoughts:
- The extra weight of the BOOST + e-start is definitely, noticeably heavier in the front. It takes more time and more effort to bank the sled.
- The engine or new clutch on the BOOST is very smooth, no vibration; whereas my 850 N/A has definite vibration while riding.
- I thought the BOOST had a heavier throttle pull (throttle return spring).
- The BOOST pulls a bit harder. I didn't think it was anything to write home about or earth shattering.
- The BOOST was sitting at 8250-8300 RPM on a good sustained pull.
- After this little test ride, I'm fine with running N/A.

Oh, and the 7s gauge on both of our sleds was doing a wicked good job of showing us where the other person was. Very useful feature!

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an update to my above post. I was able to get a couple 10 minute test rides on a Khaos 155 2.75 850 Boost on consecutive days.

My thoughts:
- It's something of a handful! I was played out at the end of the test rides.
- It is quick to get the nose up, to the point where I had to be careful about using full throttle in some situations.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just under 500 miles after the weekend.
Still no Sled issues and running strong.
Season has 6 more days in the mountains for me them last weekend in March it is over for me this year.
Dam work and turkey hunting.
Will have about 850 miles on sled this year then have to decide to keep the Boost or sell and keep the incoming snowcheck.
Sled has been awesome so far, will be a tough choice.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a boost should check their primary clutch bolt. I would recommend pulling the clutch (use water trick or suffer) and re-torque it 110 ft lbs with a brand new bolt. P85 clutch puller works on the p22 with the water trick.

A couple days ago we had to go on the hill and change one in the dark (heli couldn’t fly due to weather) , it was not very fun.

Last edited:

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a bolt break on a boost 2 weeks ago couldn't get the broken part out on the hill (may have if we went back and got a drill and easy out) but the clutch came apart in two pieces ( spider came off the spline and messed up the spider and spline) that on got a chopper ride.

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300 miles now. Got my first low fuel pressure code yesterday.
Funny your fuel pump seemed to last the same as mine. Got my first low fuel pressure code at 1200 miles last week. At the dealer now for some warranty work, and I am expecting them to tell me that the fuel pump is back ordered until the end of April. Did you do the spring in fuel sock trick yet Johnny?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny your fuel pump seemed to last the same as mine. Got my first low fuel pressure code at 1200 miles last week. At the dealer now for some warranty work, and I am expecting them to tell me that the fuel pump is back ordered until the end of April. Did you do the spring in fuel sock trick yet Johnny?

No I didn’t. Gonna take it out today and see what’s going on. I might have a replacement pump to throw in. But I heard the socks and regulator can also screw up.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that Boost-It used to run an aftermarket fuel pump in their Polaris sleds. Maybe it would work. Some one on here probably knows what it was. Only problem is warranty. Might work until Polaris gets caught up with a fix.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I didn’t. Gonna take it out today and see what’s going on. I might have a replacement pump to throw in. But I heard the socks and regulator can also screw up.
Have you insulated the tank from the tunnel? Heard a rumor one of causes is the fuel is getting too hot due to being mounted direct to the tunnel/cooler, causing the hose to collapse and cavitate the pump? had a buddie insulate his, and it seem to help? sounds like there lots of possible culprits and solutions?

Top Bottom