New factory short block?

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PTO side leaned out, and when we first pulled the top end we noticed a large tear in the carb boot, which looked like someone had hit it off of the engine support bumper thing there during installation of the motor or something to that effect. ring slipped past the pin and the rest is history, big end con-rod bearing is toast, havent split the case yet to visually inspect the mains, but it end play on the crank appears to be within spec, and it still rolls smooth... either way has to come apart to be certain, and to change the con rod. now when we pulled the motor out there was a crap load of old RTV, which is suspicious, what they heck were they trying to patch with that. then we pulled off the engine mounting plate on the bottom of the engine and boom. crack city. what it looks like to me is someone zapped it with a TIG or something to fix a crack that was there before, but looks like the heat involved in that caused the rest. it definatly wasnt from the leanout. at this point its beyond repair anyway. when we brought the sled home the engine was SUPER clean and shiny, and he had said they had installed the short block the year before and only rode it a couple times. if you look at the MAG side piston, especially the skirts, and the cylinder, there is no way it has any less than a thousand or two k's on it.
new my ass.
i used to want a teth air for my XP
but phuk that, ill ride teatherless like i always have instead.
buyer beware, yes. used is used. buyer get lied to? shouldnt be so.
my two cents.

Dave

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
feel your pain, have already blown up 2 motors this year. 08xp and a 02 700. hard to keep throwing good money after bad. sounds like the sled is tired. you could weld the case clean it up, and new top end. or find a used bottom case. can't see teth air helping you out. but he made claims that were not true. you have grounds to get your money back legal like.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PTO side leaned out, and when we first pulled the top end we noticed a large tear in the carb boot, which looked like someone had hit it off of the engine support bumper thing there during installation of the motor or something to that effect. ring slipped past the pin and the rest is history, big end con-rod bearing is toast, havent split the case yet to visually inspect the mains, but it end play on the crank appears to be within spec, and it still rolls smooth... either way has to come apart to be certain, and to change the con rod. now when we pulled the motor out there was a crap load of old RTV, which is suspicious, what they heck were they trying to patch with that. then we pulled off the engine mounting plate on the bottom of the engine and boom. crack city. what it looks like to me is someone zapped it with a TIG or something to fix a crack that was there before, but looks like the heat involved in that caused the rest. it definatly wasnt from the leanout. at this point its beyond repair anyway. when we brought the sled home the engine was SUPER clean and shiny, and he had said they had installed the short block the year before and only rode it a couple times. if you look at the MAG side piston, especially the skirts, and the cylinder, there is no way it has any less than a thousand or two k's on it.
new my ass.
i used to want a teth air for my XP
but phuk that, ill ride teatherless like i always have instead.
buyer beware, yes. used is used. buyer get lied to? shouldnt be so.
my two cents.

Dave

if he can substantiate his claim of a new short block he has legal grounds in the court system and will win. get his money back at least.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would be calling seller and explain the trouble and your options. if you make a claim and it's not true in a sale, new or used you are responsible for said claim.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is interesting. it sure looks like a shortblock. no serial tag like mentioned.

probly a faint engraving of an 800HO.

very strange to me. especailly looking underneath you can see gunk buildup and whatnot deep in the webbing.

these cylinders have a coating on them that arent hard to clean up and make look good.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would be calling seller and explain the trouble and your options. if you make a claim and it's not true in a sale, new or used you are responsible for said claim.

I have sent him a couple emails last week, got a few back.. his last one was saying he could get me some cheaper carb boots. I sent him an email last night, with a picture of the bottom end. He hasn't replyed back, and when i called today (Sunday), i spoke to his son who said he was out for a couple days, i told him who i was.. and if he could give me a call back a.s.a.p.

Went outside and check to see if there was a serial number, nothing in the stamped area.. just next to "rotax" there was a 6-8 digit number.. i could go outside and grab it.

When i pulled the jugs off, it looked like a factory brp green gasket, the exhaust gaskets though.. looked like RTV... weird!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just am seeing this post for the first time now. This was my kids sled and I bought a short block from Mr R's for it before he sold out to Ray in Lethbridge. It would be about 2 years now as it was the season prior to me selling it this Fall. This sled ran well and I had no idea this fellow would have problems with it.

Again I feel bad for him but I gave him a good price and wish he had no problems.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just am seeing this post for the first time now. This was my kids sled and I bought a short block from Mr R's for it before he sold out to Ray in Lethbridge. It would be about 2 years now as it was the season prior to me selling it this Fall. This sled ran well and I had no idea this fellow would have problems with it.

Again I feel bad for him but I gave him a good price and wish he had no problems.
the case has been cracked and repaired by looking at the pics.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok heres my take on this..... its is used so u know the saying.....

but that bottom end has been repaired when it should not have been like that...

where the previous owner knew about it or not is kind of a 50 -50....

if i was the previous owner and never new about it i would 50 -50 it....

if the previous owner would have kept it and ran it for the 250 k or how ever many k since the sale it would have blown up on him....

but then there is the tail light warranty with used stuff..... the previous owner also was not there to say it wasn't over reved [ real easy if it was clicker 5-6 ] i sure the crack is new from the rod problem but the hole patch has been there for a while

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
967 views of this thread all ready, I don't know who Teth Air is but this can't be good for business, you should help this guy out. JMHO

Trench:eek:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Hooker gave me a good deal and wished me well that i didn't get a STD... she said she was clean ...........:eek:

JB weld is not standard on a short block.
The other stuff... well it is what it is.....

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Now that right there is a real good business response (not).......

if you told the buyer it was a new factory short block. :eek: when clearly it isn't a new factory short block (maybe in 2003 it was) it's a welded up previously blown engine that was repaired......... What do you tell customers?

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way the bottom of the case was repaired. This was a NEW short block from BRP. The case has been rubbing against the motor mount plate by the looks of it. I have sent an email to Mr R's to prove i purchased this motor from them. The previous motor went down at Quartz on December 21st or 22nd, 2009 when we did our Avy course with Hangfire. The shortblock was bought the week after. For those who know me, know I have a business reputation that i could not jepardize by lieing to Mike about this sled and its history. I have many witnesses that are well respected in the sled business that will back me on what I am saying because they ride with my son and I and remember the motor going down and the new one going in.

Chris

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he bought a shortblock from Mr R's there is no way it would have been a patch up. Mr R's in Milo and now Lethbridge is straight up honest shop and it would have been done right.
Should have a reciept from Mr R's to back it up.

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way the bottom of the case was repaired. This was a NEW short block from BRP. The case has been rubbing against the motor mount plate by the looks of it. I have sent an email to Mr R's to prove i purchased this motor from them. The previous motor went down at Quartz on December 21st or 22nd, 2009 when we did our Avy course with Hangfire. The shortblock was bought the week after. For those who know me, know I have a business reputation that i could not jepardize by lieing to Mike about this sled and its history. I have many witnesses that are well respected in the sled business that will back me on what I am saying because they ride with my son and I and remember the motor going down and the new one going in.

Chris

i hope for the sake of goodwill, that you're going to get the reciept or what have you to show that this was indeed a NEW shortblock, not a rebuilt one.

that being said, i had the misfortune of believing what a seller said and being my first sled bought in a long time, bought a sled with only one cylinder even close to the right compression. my fawk up, should of did compression test, etc. not going to happen again.

DO to people as you would have them do to you or however that goes. as painful as it is, it's a good learning experience, expensive, but good. i'm asking for reciepts next time, that's for sure.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Teth Air got screwed by Mr. R's but in the end he sold you sold a sled which was represented as having a new short block. Teth Air is responsbile for misrepresentation.

The leakage from the front of the one cylinder looks like a joke for an engine with 250 Km.

Top Bottom