AC blast?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now that they've been out a few years how does everyone feel about these things? I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm looking for a sled mainly just to tow the kids on GT's around the acreage and maybe for them to move up to once they outgrow the 120. As a kid I had a puma 340 and a Z570, I imagine its somewhere in between those? Is it worth going with the blast or should a guy just get an old enticer or freestyle or something? I've looked at phazers (4strokes) as an option too but its hard to justify paying what some people are asking for 10-15 year old sleds.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lady I work with has one but doesn't really ride it enough/hard enough to give much feedback. For what you describe I would just find an older 550 fan and then not worry about the kids overheating it.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, other family members have had 550's and 570's before so I've been around them a fair bit. Its just kind of a big jump from a 120 to that, and while my kids a pretty good driver he's also on the smaller side so a full size sled might be a bit much. Mainly I just wanted to know if the technology on these "budget" sleds has improved enough to be worth it. Lots of 10-15 year old fan cooled sleds/phazers on kijiji are in that $6K range, and theres a few blasts for $10kish. Either way I'm not in a rush, we only have maybe 6" of snow in our area so far.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t count the 200 out… twice the sled a 120 is. I’m in the same boat… been drooling over a venom for him but I think I’m a year or two away… he’s 6

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They’re slick units though…
IMG_7214.jpeg

IMG_7213.jpeg

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they look good, Definitely a couple years away from the kids riding it by themselves, but figured in the meantime I could bomb around a bit. Not sure the 200's would handle that lol Just looked up the indy lites, there's some of those out there that look pretty decent! thanks for the advice

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a 2000 MXZ-440 fan cooled for the grandkids to use. 136 x 1 1/2 track. Very stable and big enough for adults too. My 6 year grandson rips on it pretty good.. But.. hes no beginner. Lol.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they look good, Definitely a couple years away from the kids riding it by themselves, but figured in the meantime I could bomb around a bit. Not sure the 200's would handle that lol Just looked up the indy lites, there's some of those out there that look pretty decent! thanks for the advice

Ha the 200 will take whatever you throw at it. I’m 200+ and rip on it all the time. Tow 3-4 kids on gt’s thru soft snow. Up/ down hills. Just an absolute blast rippin on it around the yard/ cabin does 25-30 with kid on it on trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha the 200 will take whatever you throw at it. I’m 200+ and rip on it all the time. Tow 3-4 kids on gt’s thru soft snow. Up/ down hills. Just an absolute blast rippin on it around the yard/ cabin does 25-30 with kid on it on trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good to know then, sounds like a pit bike!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now that they've been out a few years how does everyone feel about these things? I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm looking for a sled mainly just to tow the kids on GT's around the acreage and maybe for them to move up to once they outgrow the 120. As a kid I had a puma 340 and a Z570, I imagine its somewhere in between those? Is it worth going with the blast or should a guy just get an old enticer or freestyle or something? I've looked at phazers (4strokes) as an option too but its hard to justify paying what some people are asking for 10-15 year old sleds.
I have/had Z120's, ZR200's, Freestyle 300's and 550's.

After having all of those, I would have a heck of a time thinking the Blast was a better option considering the cost. The 200 is a fair jump from a 120. It goes through snow much better and is 3x faster. It's a bigger machine to handle. I've towed 4-5 kids on individual sleds through our yard in fresh snow. That's about all it can do, but it was still lugging with me riding it.

The 300 is a awesome machine. My kids rode these when they were 7-10ish. I had them setup with a bit of clutching and take off 1.4" Cobra tracks. They went anywhere you pointed them. With me on them, I could yank the skids for a good 40'. Probably the most fun machine we've owned honestly with the narrow stance. Easy to cut donuts with kids infront of you while sitting down. I had one of these in a Skandic with a 136 and the kids liked the shorter tracks better.

The 550 Freestyles were ok. The extra weight and wider ski stance up front sort of took the playfulness out of them. We have a Backcountry with the narrower 32" Freestyle A-Arms on it and it's alot more fun to ride. I have them clutched with a 136 x 1.5" track and it goes through most everything pretty well.

All said and done, I can't see us getting much more out of a 400 aside from the kids being able to go faster because it's probably a smoother ride. Next machine will be a small block Doo 600 for the kids or a 600 EFI with a 146. I had a Phazer for my wife about 8-10 years ago. It was too touchy and quirky to handle IMO for me to put kids on it at the stage you are talking about. Flat out too heavy handling. I was looking forward to having that machine for one for my to fart around the back 40 with - came away very disappointed. Had a MTX version.

Top Bottom