Most cost effective snowmobile replacement interval

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
I'm playing around with the possibility of trading/selling my snowmobile every year or two and getting a new one. Anyone have experience with this? Just curious how bad of a hit a guy would take. Better to trade every year? Every second year or even 3 years? Typically been getting a new sled only once per new chassis. Went from a 2016 rmk to a turbo shredder this time around, what an upgrade that was!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm playing around with the possibility of trading/selling my snowmobile every year or two and getting a new one. Anyone have experience with this? Just curious how bad of a hit a guy would take. Better to trade every year? Every second year or even 3 years? Typically been getting a new sled only once per new chassis. Went from a 2016 rmk to a turbo shredder this time around, what an upgrade that was!

Buddy of mine has been trialling the same kind of thing, he has got it down to every two years where he has found it’s the most cost effective, he’s a doo guy so he keeps the bags and jerry cans ect so he just needs the new machine. Said that’s the best way he can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You take a 10 grand hit every two seasons. Keep it under 2000 km and we can become great friends.

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has been trialling the same kind of thing, he has got it down to every two years where he has found it’s the most cost effective, he’s a doo guy so he keeps the bags and jerry cans ect so he just needs the new machine. Said that’s the best way he can find

I'll be sticking with brp for now too, switching brands costs big $$ if you don't already have the accessories. Does he sell privately or trade usually?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be sticking with brp for now too, switching brands costs big $$ if you don't already have the accessories. Does he sell privately or trade usually?

He sells privately every second fall

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brp with the 4yr warrenty i would ride 3 seasons then sell new owner would get 1yr full warrenty still and u still get pretty good money out of the sled ive found. Now thst brp has 2yr warrenty im going to add the extra warrenty keep for 3 again n then sell will see if i can recoop some of my money when sale time comes with warrnty still on the sled vs a bunch with no warrenty

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last three have been one year old with 3 years warranty. Ride them one year. Sell the next fall lost $500 on my 2020, 2021 we will see on the 2022

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i upgrade the wife and i sleds every season. i cant really use mine as as comparison but hers really varies year to year. In general, your looking about 3k per season if you keep it less than 1500km, add some accessories, and dont finance it. It also needs to be in mint condition with factory decals. Your dealer also has to give you decent pricing. There have been years where it was 4000, and there has been years where it cost Nothing to upgrade due to covid pricing etc. If none of those things above apply then your likely looking in the 5k range once you factor in financing costs etc. Remember, when the market isn't hot you have to make your product look better than the rest so that means your throwing in a skid plate, bumper and maybe even a tarp to seal the deal. Your also going to want to sell it with as much warranty remaining as possible. These new turbos are a tough sell. without warranty. Make the machine as close to mint condition as possible at the end of the season, i would replace cut up decals etc, because the other thing that makes this more expensive is your personal time showing tire kickers around. Ive found that when the sled shows like showroom the first guy always comes with cash and its gone.

Whether its 2k,3k,4k, or 5k not being on the end of a helicopter, riding the latest stuff, and never opening the hood makes the experience just that much more enjoyable

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget you’re gonna take a bigger hit when you get stuck in the last year of a chassis. G4 prices are super low right now.

100%. also forgot to mention if snowchecking a polaris order two of the identical model so you can make it through the season.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i upgrade the wife and i sleds every season. i cant really use mine as as comparison but hers really varies year to year. In general, your looking about 3k per season if you keep it less than 1500km, add some accessories, and dont finance it. It also needs to be in mint condition with factory decals. Your dealer also has to give you decent pricing. There have been years where it was 4000, and there has been years where it cost Nothing to upgrade due to covid pricing etc. If none of those things above apply then your likely looking in the 5k range once you factor in financing costs etc. Remember, when the market isn't hot you have to make your product look better than the rest so that means your throwing in a skid plate, bumper and maybe even a tarp to seal the deal. Your also going to want to sell it with as much warranty remaining as possible. These new turbos are a tough sell. without warranty. Make the machine as close to mint condition as possible at the end of the season, i would replace cut up decals etc, because the other thing that makes this more expensive is your personal time showing tire kickers around. Ive found that when the sled shows like showroom the first guy always comes with cash and its gone.

Whether its 2k,3k,4k, or 5k not being on the end of a helicopter, riding the latest stuff, and never opening the hood makes the experience just that much more enjoyable
Had to read this a second time as I thought you were saying you were upgrading the wife. I am curious to see what happens to the 22 and 23 resales with 24 pricing going up again.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow you get a new wife every season. That is awesome but you definately don't need to worry about sled depreciation if you can afford that.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I'm trying out the every year upgrade also. It was $5500 to go from 09XP to 13 Pro, $11000 to go from 13 Pro to 17 Axys, $8900 to go from 17 Axys to 20 Khaos and $10500 to go from 20 Khaos to 23 9R Khaos. Have a 24 9R Khaos on order. By my fuzzy math it's been an average of $2647 per year to upgrade on a 3 to 4 year turnover.

So if I can get into new for $3500 ish I'll take it. And now that I'm back in Sask trading in and only having to pay 11% on the difference makes that the best route. I got 13 for my 20 on trade and would have had to sell it for 14,430 to break even on the tax.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have to buy 2 or 3 to get the complimentary chainmail suit to protect from clutch explosions?

No but I heard if you have to go to the hospital from an exploding clutch Polaris will give you a $250 coupon for parts.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100%. also forgot to mention if snowchecking a polaris order two of the identical model so you can make it through the season.
Dont give the guy bad advise , if you plan to ride all year long get the Polaris you will not have to replace chains, Chain cases Tracks, belts.......... ect.....

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont give the guy bad advise , if you plan to ride all year long get the Polaris you will not have to replace chains, Chain cases Tracks, belts.......... ect.....

Hard to replace those parts from wear when it’s in the shop waiting on clutches and crates of spark plugs

Top Bottom