Look out Polaris and Cat!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Rider is 95% what makes a sled. It's like skiing....lots of equipment available, but the best equipment won't necessarliy make you the best skier.

I have seen awsome riders on crappy equipment make guys sitting on the latest and greatest all red faced and wanting to go home to pout.

It's not all rider IMO, more like 50/50 or 60/40. I have seen new riders on the best equipment $$ can buy, riding like rockstars, the bigger HP of today's sleds is a huge compensation to make someone look like they can ride, snow is a very forgiving medium, you can make a mistake and still power out of it or save it and look like a hero. The new rider forward positioning helps big time.

As good a rider as say Burandt or Rasmussen are, if they are sitting on a 1994 440 Jag, they are not going to outride someone with say, 3 yrs experience and a 2010 800. Equipment plays a bigger part in sledding IMO.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what I've heard.

866 called a 900 with 180 hp. The motor is already in one shop near here but no ECM until Jan 17th.
Isn't this supposed to be avalible in a Kit for the 800 e-tec? or is it a complete engine, in a 2012 MY sled
Besides these Brand wars are always good for entertainment, Me personally I really don't care, I own what I own because I like to ride it and get good customer service when I need it. You can have 5 brand new identical box stock sleds and get the same rider to put marks on the hill on all 5 of them and 1 maybe 2 out of the 5 won't perform like the others. Some require more set up to get it to climb.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok if they come out with another 1000 lets hope they get it right this time. I will never buy a first yr release from Doo again. Speakin from experience had a new 1000 RT and bought a 08 XP. Lets give it a year and see how they Doo not buying into anymore BRP BS.:beer::d

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't this supposed to be avalible in a Kit for the 800 e-tec? or is it a complete engine, in a 2012 MY sled
Besides these Brand wars are always good for entertainment, Me personally I really don't care, I own what I own because I like to ride it and get good customer service when I need it. You can have 5 brand new identical box stock sleds and get the same rider to put marks on the hill on all 5 of them and 1 maybe 2 out of the 5 won't perform like the others. Some require more set up to get it to climb.

I think they will have a kit and a complete motor following.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not all rider IMO, more like 50/50 or 60/40. I have seen new riders on the best equipment $$ can buy, riding like rockstars, the bigger HP of today's sleds is a huge compensation to make someone look like they can ride, snow is a very forgiving medium, you can make a mistake and still power out of it or save it and look like a hero. The new rider forward positioning helps big time.

As good a rider as say Burandt or Rasmussen are, if they are sitting on a 1994 440 Jag, they are not going to outride someone with say, 3 yrs experience and a 2010 800. Equipment plays a bigger part in sledding IMO.

I was thinking about posting something like this. You beat me to it. lol.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
07's were a 50/50 thing. some sucked bad and some rocked. 2 buddies had good ones. 1 other had a bad one.

my 07 rocks ,its still going strong,put a powder max track on it and it will give any m8 a run for its money:d

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its all fun its like cheering for your fav hockey team ,but in the end it should be the more about the best snow conditions that make for the best memories.all the sleds are way better than before.:)I was in valemont one weekend and the snow was so deep everyone in the hotel had these big ch!t eating grins on there face.and everyone was talking to everyone.was the strangest thing...its all about the POWDER people...not the sled:rant:lets go DOO

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I dont disagree with you either, but my comment was about riders on new(er) model sleds.
Last year I took my best friend out sledding for the first time. I'll try to keep this a coles notes version of the story but... Ryan, anyhow, is a pro MX racer, in really good shape, and an amazing snowboarder, I took him to Gorman and he had never even been on a sled before. I had a few other guys with us who I ride with every weekend. Anyhow, on the ride out in the truck I explained to Ryan about counter steering, staying on the throttle and the old Chris Burandt technique to sidehilling( I basically told thim it's like motocross racing in sand...). We'll, to make a long story short, he made it all the way to Quartz lake, and we had a great day with plenty of fresh snow, infact he SCHOOLED a few of the guys in our group when we found a few kickers and cornices to launch off. Half way through the day when we were talking and Ryan(who is our parts canada rep BTW) told the guys this was his first time ever on a sled they though he was lying....
So if you take a guy who can really ride a bike , or tear a ski hill a new a-hole,or is just a good athlete, and give him a day on a modern sled, it's evident how amazing the new sleds are and how much easier they are to ride....

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What will be released next season probably from doo is a motor under 900cc an etec and be about 180hp. I have a freind that lives in quebec and has some really good connections in BRP. Also if you are out on the mtn and there is an etec sled that seems to be goin alot better than others there is a good possibility that it is one of the R&D mtors that a couple of guys out west have gotten from doo. There are guys that are putting 1000 doo motors into the xp chasis to.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if doo is going to make 180hp from a sub 900cc engine its going to make everyone else look pretty silly.....ei cat1000

But the question will be will it have the typical doo reliability? I havn't heard of very many doo's gettin 4000km out of a motor. I know guys with cats that have turbo's on them that get over 4000km on a motor easily. I used to be a huge doo guy and i also have my SKI-DOO technician ticket but just havn't been a fan of the reliability of them the past few years. And cat has had a 1000h.o. motor in prototype for running them for the past two years that make a fair bit more than 180hp. And i do beleive they will be releasing them in the new chasis nex twinter for there 50th anniversary.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But the question will be will it have the typical doo reliability? I havn't heard of very many doo's gettin 4000km out of a motor. I know guys with cats that have turbo's on them that get over 4000km on a motor easily. I used to be a huge doo guy and i also have my SKI-DOO technician ticket but just havn't been a fan of the reliability of them the past few years. And cat has had a 1000h.o. motor in prototype for running them for the past two years that make a fair bit more than 180hp. And i do beleive they will be releasing them in the new chasis nex twinter for there 50th anniversary.

Ok Glen stop picken on the Doos can you say diamond drive. Bud has an 09 800R XP with 4200 k and runs like a top.:d:beer:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Gee, ya think? :rolling::rolling::rolling:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok Glen stop picken on the Doos can you say diamond drive. Bud has an 09 800R XP with 4200 k and runs like a top.:d:beer:

I'm not pickin on the doo's. I have over 5000miles on my M1000 with no issues with the diamond drive, have rental sleds with over 3000 on themn and no d/d issues. I change the oil every year and watch for any moisture around the d/d and if i notice any i re-seal the cover. The biggest issue i have found with the d/d's is that the vent is thru the clutch bolt hole and it gets plugged then blows oil out of either the seal or between the the two case halves then runs low on oil then people have issues.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 07 has 4000k on it and that motor is suposed to be shitttty...those are hard kms too.every one keeps telling me it will blow up...probabley will now next time out...lol..lots of guys don,t do proper up keep on there sled then things go wrong and its the sleds fault:rant:

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin's friend has a brother whose girlfriend's Dad lives down the street from where Joseph Armand Bombardier's cousin grew up in Valcourt Quebec, and he says you guys are all full of chit!
:BSmeter:

Altapeet

Reaction score
My cousin's friend has a brother whose girlfriend's Dad lives down the street from where Joseph Armand Bombardier's cousin grew up in Valcourt Quebec, and he says you guys are all full of chit!
:BSmeter:

Hahaha most believable post in the whole thread:d

Top Bottom