Gen5 Turbo 1000km Checkup

RGM

Active VIP Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
1,773
Reaction score
3,878
Location
Pemberton
Did you remove the factory heat shield around the muffler?
 

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
1,807
Location
Hinton, AB
5.coolant line rubbing on exhaust shield. Mine has worn through the protective cover and minor wear on the outside of the hose. I imagine this will be a recall because i believe they are all doing this. You would need 3000km on your sled before it wore through. Temp fix, put some wire loom on this area.

Go to any shop that builds hydraulic hoses (ie: Northern Metalic or NAPA) and you should be able to buy spiral wrap in various diameters available by the foot. Far, far tougher than wire loom.
e893bc356250921e4a48044148f5879c.jpg
 

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2013
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
13,612
Location
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
are they out of break-in? i havent noticed mine doing that and it certainly doesnt feel like its running rich but have noticed the stains in the snow on the G5 and 23 Boost while in breakin

One definitely on break in, others not sure. They still ran fine, maybe it was oil and not fuel?
 

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
9,981
Location
Cold Lake, AB
First thing I do on every sled no matter what brand is run a bead of Ultra Copper on every exhaust spring. Super cheap and easy.
Do you find it prevents breakage, or just secondary damage from shrapnel in the engine bay?
 

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2011
Messages
6,075
Reaction score
11,971
Location
Edmonton
I had one outside upper break, found 97% of it up in the oil door burnt into the foam lol never found the 3% hope it doesn’t wind up in the stator hole…

Other one in my group had the same spring break, he found 3% of the spring in the bottom of the clutch guard… the other 97% was lost under the motor but somehow made its way and could be heard loudly rubbing/clicking on the backside of the primary clutch… it went away eventually lol
 

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
13,447
Reaction score
22,442
Location
Parkland County, AB and Valemount, BC
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was missing springs on one side of upper and one side of lower in this location, Haven't found any parts rattling anywhere in belly or engine compartment.
Left side was replaced, dealer had no exact match so the regular one fit ok.
 

Attachments

  • B3414957-3DB1-4D2D-9B8A-C167DED246AB.jpeg
    B3414957-3DB1-4D2D-9B8A-C167DED246AB.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 124

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
3,357
Reaction score
11,172
Location
Cockring, AB
I was missing springs on one side of upper and one side of lower in this location, Haven't found any parts rattling anywhere in belly or engine compartment.
Left side was replaced, dealer had no exact match so the regular one fit ok.

Keep looking until you account for the broken bits. Channel your inner fisherman with a flexi magnet!
 

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
9,529
Reaction score
18,584
Location
Edson,Alberta
Some more things to keep a eye on.
b32629b8a74245f4d59a6fc2a1a3b17d.jpg

9ee992d34fcab95ba0a62880f4183130.jpg

Insulation on the turbo oil line rubbed on the coolant line

735784f26e831066b1d7bb2b74b1f1d1.jpg

4a14ddf2c1bcfec49806f0a1c972dbbe.jpg

Wire rubbing on hose zip tied the wire off the coolant line.
5e6c938cc48ca2363539ab14737337aa.jpg

Spent time moving the oil lines around to get them off parts like the steering post.

cc40cbb22c18eda5e4fd2a46e6e7cd21.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
3,852
Reaction score
7,339
Location
Whitecourt
Some more things to keep a eye on.
b32629b8a74245f4d59a6fc2a1a3b17d.jpg

9ee992d34fcab95ba0a62880f4183130.jpg

Insulation on the turbo oil line rubbed on the coolant line

735784f26e831066b1d7bb2b74b1f1d1.jpg

4a14ddf2c1bcfec49806f0a1c972dbbe.jpg

Wire rubbing on hose zip tied the wire off the coolant line.
5e6c938cc48ca2363539ab14737337aa.jpg

Spent time moving the oil lines around to get them off parts like the steering post.

cc40cbb22c18eda5e4fd2a46e6e7cd21.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They must of hired some of the cat engineers to route things, these all are things I’ve had to do on cats for years …..you get used to it after awhile


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
602
Reaction score
2,126
Location
Shuswap
Sounds like it would be worthwhile to safety wire the springs to something.
 
Top Bottom