Gen5 Turbo 1000km Checkup

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There was some photos floating around of link sections that were broken. I couldn’t see if I had any broken links unless I physically took that chain out. I also wanted to see what the teeth wear and spline wear looked like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most vehicles make more the 1000km be for the owner has to step in and fix stuff so they don’t have issues down the road

Devils advocate, most regular vehicles do not see the stress and abuse a High HP snowmobile does, and their components last longer.

As sledders, We have been down this road lost before, with lower priced sleds and lower wages.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should expect better from all brands, be it sleds, or cars/trucks.
Build 1000 and give them to the public, tell them to drive them hard, see what problems they have, then fix those issues correctly.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should expect better from all brands, be it sleds, or cars/trucks.
Build 1000 and give them to the public, tell them to drive them hard, see what problems they have, then fix those issues correctly.

It is better financially to charge full price and have your customers do the R&D for free. Honestly the g5 is a much more reliable sled than the polaris and I'm a diehard polaris fan.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a rest day today and tore into my GEN5 as it just broke 1000km. No major issues found but a couple things to watch for. I would Definitely pull your hood off every once in a while and keep an eye on these items.

1. EGT Sensor Mount broke off and was rubbing on the sharp mounting bracket. Caught it in time so no damage. This mount is really cheap and i would just put a zip strap on it before it breaks. EGT sensor was tight
2. Pipe Pressure sensors, Same deal, cheap mount broke and started to rub. Zip strap simple fix
3. Chain case vent Melted, i haven't seen any other ones do this so perhaps i had my shield installed incorrectly. Either way there is signs of excessive heat on this side of the engine
4. Missing/broken exhaust spring, I thought they had this solved but one of mine certainly broke off. There is 4 of them so it would never be an issue other than it banging around in your engine bay. I would suggest some silicone on these springs.
5.coolant line rubbing on exhaust shield. Mine has worn through the protective cover and minor wear on the outside of the hose. I imagine this will be a recall because i believe they are all doing this. You would need 3000km on your sled before it wore through. Temp fix, put some wire loom on this area.

6. Chain case. I didn't need to take this apart but i figured with all of the worried folks out there i would pull mine apart and inspect. I figured i would find some damage or rubbing but nothing, it all looks brand new. The oil wasn't full of metal and there wasn't any more filings on the magnets than usual during breaking period. All i have done is kept the tension correct every ride. Splines on the driveshaft and gear look factory new. I did not pull the coupler.

I must say. i am REALLY impressed with the new CVT cover. Being completely sealed my engine and engine bay looks straight off the showroom floor. All of that belt dust is just exiting through the CVT vent now instead of coating the engine bay. Good job on that one BRP.

Overall, not to bad. A couple of very minor fixes and we are back in business. I'm honestly wondering if any of those mounts would have broke if i didn't go 100km/h down the worst Renshaw trail in history..hard on rigging...

View attachment 266171View attachment 266176View attachment 266178View attachment 266177
View attachment 266172View attachment 266175View attachment 266173View attachment 266174
Good post. Did you replace the chain and sprockets with hi-vo?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That style chain is famous for breaking links in the middle, seen it a lot over the years, always have a good look at them once in a while. I never seen a broken link on a hyvo chain

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense to buy a 24 ? asking for your wife.

there's going to be tons of minor tweaks we usually don't hear about or wont know about until end of day today. IMO it doesnt make sense to "upgrade" but if your looking to get into your first G5T this one will obviously be more refined.... and hopefully include Hyvo. Since 2010, everytime i step on the next year model i always say...hmmm this one feels better even though its the same. Suspension, clutching, fuel maps always get tweaks.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's going to be tons of minor tweaks we usually don't hear about or wont know about until end of day today. IMO it doesnt make sense to "upgrade" but if your looking to get into your first G5T this one will obviously be more refined.... and hopefully include Hyvo. Since 2010, everytime i step on the next year model i always say...hmmm this one feels better even though its the same. Suspension, clutching, fuel maps always get tweaks.
No issues with this chaincase though. It's all user error. Hyvo wouldn't be an improvement, would it? 😆

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issues with this chaincase though. It's all user error. Hyvo wouldn't be an improvement, would it? 😆
Yes if you have a hypo next year a person doesn’t ever have to check chain tension again. People can revert to their old ways

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to do some maintenance on my today so will check those items. How come only a 1000KM? I didn't get mine until Jan 10th and have that. Sounds like you have a job or something.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to do some maintenance on my today so will check those items. How come only a 1000KM? I didn't get mine until Jan 10th and have that. Sounds like you have a job or something.

Lol ya normally I would have double that by now but was a very very slow start to the season and I just haven’t been riding as much due to my growing list of adulting duties, a job being one of those unfortunate duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes if you have a hypo next year a person doesn’t ever have to check chain tension again. People can revert to their old ways
Is this type of chain to expensive to put in a 30 grand Ski Doo sled........................

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Do all the G5 Turbos seem to run rich? Seems all the ones I've ridden with leave stains on the right side panel from the exhaust. They still seem to run good, but definitely running richer than the aftermarket turbos I'm accustomed to. Is it possibly to keep detonation at bay with 91 octane?

The '22 boosts do it as well, but that fuel mapping was definitely subpar at best, and some are pretty burbly on the bottom end.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Do all the G5 Turbos seem to run rich? Seems all the ones I've ridden with leave stains on the right side panel from the exhaust. They still seem to run good, but definitely running richer than the aftermarket turbos I'm accustomed to. Is it possibly to keep detonation at bay with 91 octane?

The '22 boosts do it as well, but that fuel mapping was definitely subpar at best, and some are pretty burbly on the bottom end.

are they out of break-in? i havent noticed mine doing that and it certainly doesnt feel like its running rich but have noticed the stains in the snow on the G5 and 23 Boost while in breakin

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Interesting that you mentioned that. My brother and I have rode together since our sled were brand new, his sled leaves black marks in the snow idling and pulling away, and mine did not. I also noticed the staining on his belly pan as well.

Here is where it get interesting, we both were with 7miles on the odometer, on our last ride together in Renshaw, and we have been paying attention to the fuel consumption, we were pretty close one way or the other, but his sled knocked off 13% more of the break in than mine when we looked that day. Only thing different in the sleds was the ECM calibration, he didn’t get his update done and had the CEL come on all the time on the trail.
We are now both out of break in but I came out at around 330 miles. Longest breakin sled I’ve owned yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom