Gen5 Turbo 1000km Checkup

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a rest day today and tore into my GEN5 as it just broke 1000km. No major issues found but a couple things to watch for. I would Definitely pull your hood off every once in a while and keep an eye on these items.

1. EGT Sensor Mount broke off and was rubbing on the sharp mounting bracket. Caught it in time so no damage. This mount is really cheap and i would just put a zip strap on it before it breaks. EGT sensor was tight
2. Pipe Pressure sensors, Same deal, cheap mount broke and started to rub. Zip strap simple fix
3. Chain case vent Melted, i haven't seen any other ones do this so perhaps i had my shield installed incorrectly. Either way there is signs of excessive heat on this side of the engine
4. Missing/broken exhaust spring, I thought they had this solved but one of mine certainly broke off. There is 4 of them so it would never be an issue other than it banging around in your engine bay. I would suggest some silicone on these springs.
5.coolant line rubbing on exhaust shield. Mine has worn through the protective cover and minor wear on the outside of the hose. I imagine this will be a recall because i believe they are all doing this. You would need 3000km on your sled before it wore through. Temp fix, put some wire loom on this area.

6. Chain case. I didn't need to take this apart but i figured with all of the worried folks out there i would pull mine apart and inspect. I figured i would find some damage or rubbing but nothing, it all looks brand new. The oil wasn't full of metal and there wasn't any more filings on the magnets than usual during breaking period. All i have done is kept the tension correct every ride. Splines on the driveshaft and gear look factory new. I did not pull the coupler.

I must say. i am REALLY impressed with the new CVT cover. Being completely sealed my engine and engine bay looks straight off the showroom floor. All of that belt dust is just exiting through the CVT vent now instead of coating the engine bay. Good job on that one BRP.

Overall, not to bad. A couple of very minor fixes and we are back in business. I'm honestly wondering if any of those mounts would have broke if i didn't go 100km/h down the worst Renshaw trail in history..hard on rigging...

IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there still that little hole on the bottom for the stator to eat things? Few guys had lost stators do to injesting small metal particles into it, if a guy in breaking exhaust spring that could possible become a pretty shitty situation

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there still that little hole on the bottom for the stator to eat things? Few guys had lost stators do to injesting small metal particles into it, if a guy in breaking exhaust spring that could possible become a pretty shitty situation

yea, i wont know until i find it if it broke or not. It wouldn't let a whole spring in, but it would let the broken piece in for sure if that's what happened. Only positive thing about that is BRP would cover it as the spring is a factory part that isnt supposed to come off. Rather than say installing a skid plate and having an improperly installed rivet ingested etc.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember Ron doing a photo thing of the 2021 Turbo issues that starting to rear their head. Little things that were rubbing and kinked hoses. I took his advice and did all the fixes on mine one afternoon and so far that sled is trouble free for my buddy.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned putting silicone on exhaust springs, does that apply to all sleds?
Just regular silicone, and on the coil part of the spring I assume?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned putting silicone on exhaust springs, does that apply to all sleds?
Just regular silicone, and on the coil part of the spring I assume?
I've been doing this for a while. The cats like to blow springs and send them through the clutches. I use red high temp RTV.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks men, i have broken a couple springs on my Cat, wife's Doo has also broken some.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ab3821412027467a75e7b4c143aaf86f.jpg

Noticed this and a wire rubbing on a coolant line on the top of the engine as well when I did my driveshaft swap and the hyvo, I zip tied the wire but the intake tube will have to be removed to get at it.
No broken springs, but the heat shield was rubbing on the coolant line.

There was also a ECM update on my sled when I plugged it into the budds.
32a8267fb3807794a3d9d0c1c77e410b.jpg

My chaincase looked good as well, I did find long metal shavings in the oil but nothing to be concerned about

0b558e499b367d45cb4151fe1d4869e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's not Polaris bad but man I'd expect more for a $30,000 snowmobile
I wonder on these sleds if they are fitted for clearances static then when customers take them out and start laying them on their sides and whatever it that is where the failure happens? Be interesting to talk to an engineer to see how it’s done.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6. Chain case. I didn't need to take this apart but i figured with all of the worried folks out there i would pull mine apart and inspect. I figured i would find some damage or rubbing but nothing, it all looks brand new. The oil wasn't full of metal and there wasn't any more filings on the magnets than usual during breaking period. All i have done is kept the tension correct every ride. Splines on the driveshaft and gear look factory new. I did not pull the coupler.

Sean, why do you pull chain and gears out vs. just visual of them installed?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most vehicles make more the 1000km be for the owner has to step in and fix stuff so they don’t have issues down the road

I’f I drove my truck like my sled I’d be fixing more than a couple hoses rubbing I’ll tell you that for free lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's not Polaris bad but man I'd expect more for a $30,000 snowmobile

I hear ya but these are what I would consider VERY minor issues for how hard I beat on this machine. There are definitely a few areas in the sensor mounts where pennies were pinched and it shows

Considering it’s a new chassis and body work I’m impressed this is all I’m seeing so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom