2021 Skidoo 850 turbo reviews

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sympathetic to his concern. As a former dealer we saw this happen. The customer pays a lot of money for a toy and it should be spot on out of the box. Why they went backwards on the clutching from the proto surprises me. I know some of the calibration team. They are friends but I don't always agree with their setups. We discussed this over drinks one night in Grand Lake. And remember this is pre turbo. They try and find a happy medium for a range of elevation and conditions. They have sea level, mid altitude and high altitude settings. For us they are trying to find a calibration that will work from 4000-10,000 feet. They fully admit that their set up can be improved on for a specific altitude, temp and snow type. What surprises me about this new turbo is we all know that they do their testing at CKMP. That is the altitude most of us ride and this is the altitude we are getting the over rev condition. They should have been spot on.

The two 2020.5” I rode overrevved, when I noticed that the 2021 specs had changed, I was more concerned it was a power reduction and the reason for the lighter flyweights.
Overreving is a good problem to have IMO.

Regardless, these sleds rip, and there seems to be alot more positive reviews than negative.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im more interested as to why some are and why some arent. For example....every one of the ones purchased in my group do not have an overrev condition. Did some people get lucky and are making an extra HP or two? was there a weak batch of secondary or primary springs? who knows.

Maybe the new gauge is off in its calibration??
It feels like my sled likes to be run at 8000/8100.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the way more powerful 2020.5 that over reved before adding weight.... that’s why the Jackshaft sheared apart all that extra hp... I like the spring metal idea tho prob shetty Chinese recycled scrap metal... lol ....will be all smiles again very soon I hope I even found a 2021 Jackshaft to get her rippin again cuz the parts are back ordered

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
??? The ones that have are clue are the ones that are not complaining, they did something about it, and they are enjoying their sleds. This is such a small issue and so easy and cheap to fix.

Canadian low altitude mtn riding is a small % compared to the US market where they unload at a higher altitude than we ride at.
The engineers made a choice on a setup, snow check R@D will correct it, its been that way for years.

so go to the high altitude spec sheet and tell us complainers where you see 8200 rpm on the charts. At any setup or altitude.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so go to the high altitude spec sheet and tell us complainers where you see 8200 rpm on the charts. At any setup or altitude.

Sled clutching calibration has been off for ever. Is this your first doo, Your kinda puzzling me.
Its a super easy fix, if your concerned, drop your sled off at the dealer and tell them to fix it, or put a shim under your throttle to limit your max rpm. I dunno what else your going to do.

That being said, I know what the chart says. Thats how I knew there was a change in the flyweight.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just clicked over 3000km on my 2020.5 It has been fuel,oil pull and go. Still on same belt, threw a bit of weight at the clutch to bring down RPM might still add a bit more. I haven't needed to adjust the chain yet and there is virtually no belt dust when blowing out the clutch. This has been by far the best sled I have owned and with no issues so far.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, maximum load.. not sure many understand when your in max or min .. we have used this feature of max speed for years, pretty easy to do for most of us

reset your max speed on cluster, go to hill at elevation you ride at, do a long pull, 15 seconds wot or more and then come down and read number, not rocket science, your not going to get a true reading on a shorter pull, it takes a long time to build its total speed, found different snow conditions, will change speed some, but not as much as some would think, even air on a jump does not alter speed much

great feature for tuning same day, lots of guys use it on gearing swaps, rpm changes, and helix angle swaps, they use to have the max rpm feature, enjoyed that as well

Common fred, when i talk about track speed i am talking about maximum load, entire track in the snow. Maximum sustained trackspeed before turnout, at almost 0 km\h groundspeed. If your climbing in 6" of snow with no load your going to get higher numbers, if your wheeling at all and your entire track isnt in the snow your going to get higher and fluctuating numbers. I am consistently getting 75km/h max sustained track speed. when the snow is nice and fluffy can creep up to 80. very respectable number but none of us will ever truly be able to compare that under the same conditions i determine that speed at. Snow conditions, temp, all makes a difference.

at the end of the day most people suck at riding and should just be looking where they are going not at their track speed. LOL

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, maximum load.. not sure many understand when your in max or min .. we have used this feature of max speed for years, pretty easy to do for most of us

reset your max speed on cluster, go to hill at elevation you ride at, do a long pull, 15 seconds wot or more and then come down and read number, not rocket science, your not going to get a true reading on a shorter pull, it takes a long time to build its total speed, found different snow conditions, will change speed some, but not as much as some would think, even air on a jump does not alter speed much

great feature for tuning same day, lots of guys use it on gearing swaps, rpm changes, and helix angle swaps, they use to have the max rpm feature, enjoyed that as well

Those are not in the new gauge anymore, If im not mistaken.

Trackspeed and ground speed are two totally different tuning areas.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone had a belt fail with less than 2000km on these new turbos? i have not. that's pretty damn good. no clutch kit is going to improve that mileage.

You should ask JHurkot how long his first belt lasted on his N/A 175. I bet he could do that on any sled though.

Last edited:

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good. Morn Got some good miles on mine. Only thing so for is you have watch the temp way to much. Made a rack on back and fill it with snow and that helps when riding up steep trails in creek beds. Be safe snow is not the same this year.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good. Morn Got some good miles on mine. Only thing so for is you have watch the temp way to much. Made a rack on back and fill it with snow and that helps when riding up steep trails in creek beds. Be safe snow is not the same this year.
Yup the heat thing is something I am noticing, I don’t ride a turbo but there is a couple that I have rode with and they are running hot. Other thing I see is the balance and weight, like any turbo,when you are on the power it’s amazing when you are off the the power ,like down hill carve in semi setup snow ,which have to much of this year. It isn’t as nimble as na expert

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 11C4EF24-1AB6-4536-9965-625B2D172D75.jpeg
    11C4EF24-1AB6-4536-9965-625B2D172D75.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 353
Top Bottom