I guess we will need a new Matryx 900 section tomorrow?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should Polaris trade their gauge for SHOT technology? hmmm.... might make some happy. Would be nice to track my Doo buddies. The number of tree-well occurances seem to be going up and this time of year they can swallow you whole. Sure nice when a buddy finds you when every move you make sinks you farther down the hole.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need a thread for adding a Trail Tech Voyager to snowmobiles without the 7S gauge.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should Polaris trade their gauge for SHOT technology? hmmm.... might make some happy. Would be nice to track my Doo buddies. The number of tree-well occurances seem to be going up and this time of year they can swallow you whole. Sure nice when a buddy finds you when every move you make sinks you farther down the hole.
I agree.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couple of problems with this.

1. The Polaris engine technology is too outdated to receive shot start. The basis of functionality of SHOT is only possible due to direct injection. Skidoo is able to time the engine with the magneto and the fuel injection perfectly so that the engine can start on half an upstroke. No possible way a throttle body injection system could get the fuel delivered in time for the engine to start on that small of a capacitor. Polaris would be better off just using a larger capacitor that would just act as a battery that could spin the magneto over multiple times and fire the engine. That or get with the times.

2. We all know damn well that the french arent going to be trading anything. We know the new 7S guage works great and the buddy tracking system is awesome. But they will reinvent the wheel somehow like they always do and make something better and faster that is not compatible. We will never see compatibility between the two. Which is sad because its a great safety feature and IMO should operate on some standard system/frequecy that can be read by all manufacturers. I hope im wrong but i just cant see it. That's why i didn't get the new guage. Spend that money on a trail tech so i can track my Polaris friends below me.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1. The Polaris engine technology is too outdated to receive shot start. The basis of functionality of SHOT is only possible due to direct injection. Skidoo is able to time the engine with the magneto and the fuel injection perfectly so that the engine can start on half an upstroke. No possible way a throttle body injection system could get the fuel delivered in time for the engine to start on that small of a capacitor. Polaris would be better off just using a larger capacitor that would just act as a battery that could spin the magneto over multiple times and fire the engine. That or get with the times.

2. We all know damn well that the french arent going to be trading anything. We know the new 7S guage works great and the buddy tracking system is awesome. But they will reinvent the wheel somehow like they always do and make something better and faster that is not compatible. We will never see compatibility between the two. Which is sad because its a great safety feature and IMO should operate on some standard system/frequecy that can be read by all manufacturers. I hope im wrong but i just cant see it. That's why i didn't get the new guage. Spend that money on a trail tech so i can track my Polaris friends below me.
The Polaris can start in about 1/2 a turn of the motor only the fuel injection/fuel pump capacitor needs to get charged first. This is why a cold motor takes a couple pulls. The old carb motors could start when turning the clutch over by hand and this is why the warning of keeping the kill switch off while clutching, came to light. But as you say a slightly different design may be in order with a larger capacitor to get the fuel system up and working.
As long as they could ditch that big heavy starter they likely could do it at 5lbs max.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Or the younger Doo Buddies with the teck ABOVE ya

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Polaris can start in about 1/2 a turn of the motor only the fuel injection/fuel pump capacitor needs to get charged first. This is why a cold motor takes a couple pulls. The old carb motors could start when turning the clutch over by hand and this is why the warning of keeping the kill switch off while clutching, came to light. But as you say a slightly different design may be in order with a larger capacitor to get the fuel system up and working.
As long as they could ditch that big heavy starter they likely could do it at 5lbs max.

Doos don’t foul plugs tho.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MY 2021:

Skidoo rider:
"Skidoo has the only factory turbo, its the most powerful on snow"
Bystander: "But doesn't the N/A and the turbo both make 165hp?"
Skidoo rider: "The turbo makes the same power at elevation, so like 20% more power in the hills, altitude compensating they call, first of it's kind."
Bystander: "You mean like aftermarket turbo kits have been doing for 10 years now?"
Skidoo rider: "No it's different, this has no turbo lag."
Bystander: "How do you know what turbo lag feels like when your turbo only makes 2.5lbs of boost?"
Skidoo rider: "Your just jealous, it's still the most powerful on the hill."
Bystander: "What about the Yamaha Sidewinder, doesn't it make over 200hp?"
Skidoo rider: "Doesn't count, that's a four-stroke, and besides, Arctic Cat builds the chassis."
Bystander: "Oh cool, so skidoo is the best in some category skidoo invented for marketing purposes?"
Skidoo rider: "No, it's totally legit, skidoo is the best"

MY 2022:

Bystander:
"So did you hear the new Polaris Boost is 180hp, that's 15hp more than the Skidoo Turbo"
Skidoo rider: "It's all numbers created by the marketing department, Skidoo still has more power"
Bystander: "Bikeman ran both sleds on their dyno, the Boost has a clear hp advantage"
Skidoo rider: "Bikemans dyno is notoriously wrong, it always reads high"
Bystander: "Same dyno, different numbers, Polaris clearly makes more power."
Skidoo rider: "Who cares about power, track speed is all that matters."
Bystander: "What?"
Skidoo rider: "Besides they have the same track speed so they must make the same power, and since the Skidoo runs a 16" track it must actually make 7% more power."
Bystander: "Burandt shows the Boost with 10mph more track speed"
Skidoo rider: "But that was in a wheelie, doesn't count."
Bystander: "I wonder when skidoo will put a turbo in their helmets? It's pretty clear that your brain has suffered from lack of oxygen."

MY 2023:

Skidoo rider:
"So did you see the new Gen 5, it’s going to be huge, it’s going to destroy the boost this year”
Bystander:
“I heard it’s just going to match the 2022 Polaris Boost”
Skidoo rider: “It’s going to make 180hp, which is way more than 180hp out in Polaris land”
Bystander: “Polaris will be 188hp this year”
Skidoo rider: “What!!?? No way, that’s not possible, where’s the official Polaris numbers, the third-party dyno reports, the EPA test data, huh? Where’s the official stats?”
Bystander: “Where are Skidoo’s?”
Skidoo rider: “The data will be presented at the West Ed Spring Show this weekend”
Bystander: “There won’t be a turbo there, they aren’t ready yet, and they don’t want the public to see the lopsided asymmetric body panels.
Skidoo rider: “I think you mean slightly larger on the right side because of the TURBO!”
Bystander: “Whatever, are you ordering the new gauge this year?”
Skidoo rider: “Nope, total junk, not worth it.”
Bystander: “Yeah, I’m not surprised.”
Skidoo rider: “At least it has SHOT start, Polaris doesn’t have that.”
Bystander: “What? To save your arm from getting sore so you can pull your pud back at the hotel room after striking out at the bar again tonight?”
Skidoo rider: “I don’t …”
Bystander: “I heard you”

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Suck a bag of dicks !!!!!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice how this thread has evolved. It started with a prediction of a Polaris 900 and was followed by mocking from the Doo dudes that said it is not possible or will only be a trail sled.

Now it's "My momma's sled will beat your momma's sled, even if your momma's has more power and is way lighter." :p

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice how this thread has evolved. It started with a prediction of a Polaris 900 and was followed by mocking from the Doo dudes that said it is not possible or will only be a trail sled.

Now it's "My momma's sled will beat your momma's sled, even if your momma's has more power and is way lighter." :p

you are correct, the 900r is best suited for the trails of Ontario

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Let's back the bullsh!t bus up for just a second here. Polaris doesn't use throttle body injection. Actually there's only one manufacturer that does on the big motors, and that's Skidoo. Something about the direct injection system not being large enough and not delivering enough performance, so this was the bandaid solution Doo came up with.

I don't see Polaris moving to direct injection anytime soon, port injection is working just fine.

Top Bottom