I feel dirty but I rode a Polaris boost matryx

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have kurts gear down kits coming. No more broken belts or sprockets. Gearing is 2.38 and comes with 2 belts for $899. Also includes install tools and an ARP bottom bolt. The factory grade 8.8 bolt breaks often. The belts are also 40mm wide vs the stock belt as 36mm and tki at 36mm. Its the strongest belt in the market.
Belt width doesn't tell the whole story. The TKI kit has a tensioner that really wraps around the top sprocket. I rode for 7 seasons on the same TKI kit and I broke 2 belts (replaced the tensioner bearing once). One was from melting it from snow getting under the brake lever and the other was from shock loading it by landing on concrete snow at full pin on a belt with who knows how many miles on it. You can change the belt on the hill in less than a minute. I would much rather deal with a broken belt on the hill over a broken chain.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was the one spot I had heard for it. Is there another good spot? I'm thinking that next summer, when I finally receive mine, it might be going in my backpack.
That's what I did just because it weighs basically nothing and you can put things inside it so it keeps a mostly round shape.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant fathom why you guys are so obesssed with belt drives. They dont gain anything and i have never broken a chain in my entire riding days. especially now being boosted with the same drive system..why! factory clutch belts are well over 200$ a pop why would you want to spend more blowing another 200$ belt, thats frankly isnt even necessary. i cant wrap my head around it. help me understand.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant fathom why you guys are so obesssed with belt drives. They dont gain anything and i have never broken a chain in my entire riding days. especially now being boosted with the same drive system..why! factory clutch belts are well over 200$ a pop why would you want to spend more blowing another 200$ belt, thats frankly isnt even necessary. i cant wrap my head around it. help me understand.
Hold your skidoo chain in one hand (maybe a bottle of chaincase oil too) and hold a polaris quick drive belt in the other.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have kurts gear down kits coming. No more broken belts or sprockets. Gearing is 2.38 and comes with 2 belts for $899. Also includes install tools and an ARP bottom bolt. The factory grade 8.8 bolt breaks often. The belts are also 40mm wide vs the stock belt as 36mm and tki at 36mm. Its the strongest belt in the market.
It needs to be wider as there is only roughly 1/3 of the top gear being in contact with the belt while a kit with a tensioner wraps the belt to 3/4 of the gear in contact at any time so the forces are spread on to more belt teeth. Also gearing to as low as 2.42:1 has shown some great benefits when clutched for it. You can pick your gearing when you have a tensioner.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold your skidoo chain in one hand (maybe a bottle of chaincase oil too) and hold a polaris quick drive belt in the other.
Don't tell him all your secrets, let him learn the hard way. Yup a 40 inch steel chain spins up just as easy as a carbon fibre belt. ;) Maybe you do need the turbo.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tensioner is a waste of time and money. No need for it. Ran thousands of miles stock or boosted 174's with Zero failures. When its built right, a tensioner isn't needed.
As the belts get better the need is reduced. Unless you like changing gearing and like easy belt changes.. When the quickdrive first came out it was easy to strip teeth. Now not so much, as belts get better. The 36 wide Gates Polychain belt is working good on 300 HP 4 strokes. If you put a drive on a Doo the narrower the better or it gets in the way of your boots.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tensioner is a waste of time and money. No need for it. Ran thousands of miles stock or boosted 174's with Zero failures. When its built right, a tensioner isn't needed.
Not really because a tensioner allows better belt to sprocket contact, more gearing options, and easier belt changes on the hill. If you're fine being stuck with a specific gearing ratio and it works well then I do agree with you.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Doo's were belt driven you would be telling us all about how awesome belt drives are.

Don't forget that 500 mL of oil for the chain too. and the chaincase cover to seal it all in.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My C3 powersports belt drive ran flawlessly on a boosted Polaris 174 X 3”. Still carried an extra belt just in case.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t why Polaris thinks a BD with no tensioner is still acceptable.
I liked the TKI BD I had on my doo, but it was not worth the money I spent on it.

Maybe Doo will try testing a BD again. I doubt it tho now that they went to hyvo.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I agree it's lighter, what happens once your add the weight of the driveshaft, track, and all the snow you're shoveling in to the equation? I think the gain from lightened rotational mass is best realized at the primary clutch, and possibly secondary.

Don't get me wrong, there is a gain to be had in lightening the drive, I don't feel it's hugely noticeable. The weight savings itself is probably a bigger gain than the rotational weight savings. Just my two cents. Not an engineer, and could be way off though.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the weight difference between a chaincase and a beltdrive? I still ride an 11 with a chain so this belt thing is new to me 😉.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant fathom why you guys are so obesssed with belt drives. They dont gain anything

Bzzzzzt! Wrong, strike 1. The belt is more efficient and has less inertial load. Additional advantages include no lubrication requirement, no tension to maintain, and lighter overall drive system weight.

and i have never broken a chain in my entire riding days.

Bzzzt! No-one cares or believes you. Have seen enough of those 7 foot long doo chains coming back on the hook.
especially now being boosted with the same drive system..why! factory clutch belts are well over 200$ a pop why would you want to spend more blowing another 200$ belt,

Priced out a new chain lately?

thats frankly isnt even necessary. i cant wrap my head around it. help me understand.

Remove doolaide goggles and recognize that other manufacturers do some things better than the Poutine factory.

😂😂😂

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell have your heard of this new thing called the internet? You are starting to show your age when you can't accept new tech that is really much better than whats been around for the last 75 years. Funny you didn't fight for an old style starter when SHOT came out?

Top Bottom