2022 Polaris Boost Math

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if a skidoo factory turbo at 10,000ft makes 165hp and a Polaris factory turbo makes 181hp that is an 8.8% increase.......

if a skidoo factory turbo makes 4psi at 10,000ft to maintain 165 hp and a polaris boost makes 9psi at 10,00ft to maintain 181hp.....thats a 56% increase in boost level for an 8.8% power increase......

whos lying? or is the new Polaris system just that inefficient? what am i missing.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ya think about it, at 8000ft the doo makes 4 psi (to make atmospheric pressure in the intake box), so Polaris will need 4 psi to maintain atmospheric also, but have an extra 2-2.5 psi to add the extra hp.

Has anybody put a boost gauge on a T-doo yet? Or still to scared to see what isn't there

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ya think about it, at 8000ft the doo makes 4 psi (to make atmospheric pressure in the intake box), so Polaris will need 4 psi to maintain atmospheric also, but have an extra 2-2.5 psi to add the extra hp.

Has anybody put a boost gauge on a T-doo yet? Or still to scared to see what isn't there

still scared but now im curious

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if a skidoo factory turbo at 10,000ft makes 165hp and a Polaris factory turbo makes 181hp that is an 8.8% increase.......

if a skidoo factory turbo makes 4psi at 10,000ft to maintain 165 hp and a polaris boost makes 9psi at 10,00ft to maintain 181hp.....thats a 56% increase in boost level for an 8.8% power increase......

whos lying? or is the new Polaris system just that inefficient? what am i missing.

I did or tried to doo Polaris Math last night and I for the life of me I'm unable to come to this answer. I could get into details of the NA less 3%+|- per 1k/actual etc with the multiplication of boost & it just don't work.... so it appears about 4.59hp/lbs for the poo. Lot's of smarter people than I but this is just from the information released... if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. Where I'm lost is the 50% more power at elevation or maybe I misunderstood. With all crap aside hats off to poo for bringing competition to our evolving sport...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did or tried to doo Polaris Math last night and I for the life of me I'm unable to come to this answer. I could get into details of the NA less 3%+|- per 1k/actual etc with the multiplication of boost & it just don't work.... so it appears about 4.59hp/lbs for the poo. Lot's of smarter people than I but this is just from the information released... if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. Where I'm lost is the 50% more power at elevation or maybe I misunderstood. With all crap aside hats off to poo for bringing competition to our evolving sport...

yea i am not bashing the poo at all i think its great. But either skidoo is BSing or polaris isnt making the same HP per LB of boost as the skidoo

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

heY buddy I'm just in a meeting i have the hard numbers but i have to jump into another meeting i will post for u the all of it from turboo stock 650 to 1000 motor plus elevation to 10,000 feet its amazing i hold all the codes and the keYs and all the combination doo u want me to go live or private .. your call .. i think the world should know buT your the boss

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey kibbels i will repost that part ... its in this post or in one off the other ones i will clear up the confusing i understand tonight around 10 pm

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i am not bashing the poo at all i think its great. But either skidoo is BSing or polaris isnt making the same HP per LB of boost as the skidoo

Be Less Doo........!

You are right someone is off, I am leaning towards doo is off on ther numbers allthough the Polaris explanation is just confusion with good wording.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the poo is making 1/2 pound more boost 5.5psi hp cause there going to 9000 ft and at 10,000 ft that s a big drop for all stock motors of any size .... its the 2nd level to break through the atmosphere so the air is thinner from 10,000 ft to 20,000 ft then 20,000 to 30,000 ft then at 30,000ft and beyond your in whats called the jet sTream that s where commercial airplane fly cause it offers the least path of resistance .. i explain more in a biT .. the wings at that point fly the plane ... V-force reeds and now reed VaLves new tech from ______ think of vavLes in your arteries and hearT similar ideas.. think of how air passes through the reed ... similar to the air going on top and bottom of wings at 30,000 feet ... back in a biT sTreammMMMM Lineeeee

this is the reed valve air flows top and bottom <<< bYpass valve OPEN <<< this is the reed valve and air flows over the top n bottom
this is the reed valve air flowing whats called bounce back >>> bYpass valve CLOSED >>> no air .. the bypass is doing iTs job
this is the reed valve air flowing both ways forwards and backwards <> the reed valves are now attached to each other so the air can flow both ways with the right combination of petals this design would be put in the front of bypass valve and also after the bypass valve ... think now palindromes LikE leVeL ,kaYaK .. they function perfecT in either direction

Last edited:

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats were the POLARIS reed valve comes in at 4 HP ... great question .. braking iT all down down .. ii Like that... BRP needs this in there inlet tube before and after the bypass valve opens and closes

Last edited:

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My math was 10% more than doos 850T (165HP) @ 8000 ft = 181.5HP.
The 50% more claim is based off the N/A 850 Patriot at 10000ft. That would mean a N/A Poo 850 Patriot is making 90.75HP @ 10,000ft. <<<<<< (That should have read 121HP... trying to do math while working is HARD hahaha)

Last edited:

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well gunna ride one on the 19 20 of March in Vale so stop doing the math and come out and give it a rip yourself.
hahhaha this is pyramid power .. laying down .. goTs to know whaTs under the hood .. before i test drive and .. even before purchases are made ..knowLedge is KeY ... POLARIS has greaT ideas from producT manager nervous MARTY is flying under the snowesT banner ... thaTs normal i guess .. for POLARiS rideRs... buT sKi - dooo RiDeRs need a little something for the efforT... johnnY cash comes and goes but when the roads got to much Chrisco oiL and your a slipping and a sliding .. movin n a grooving .. them toYo 37 s beTTer grip ..cause if they don't weLL then u goTs know TiMe ta go foR a riPP roaring good time in the mounTains .. beTTeR caLL OK TIRE jusT ouTside of edmonTon 780-963-0080 or 780-217-9141 we service all your tire needs and more>> LiKe lube, brakes etc !!!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boost increases horsepower by increasing air density, more oxygen = more fuel = more hp.

Compressing air heats it, in the case of the 850 Patriot Boost pushing 9lbs of boost at 10,000ft will add 70c-100c to the intake temps. The increase in charge air temperature reduces air density by 25-35%, so the boost pressure adds about 90% more air density, the heat from compressing that air pulls away roughly 1/3 of that.

The 850 ETEC Turbo pushing 4lbs boost at 8,000ft will add 30c-50c to the intake temps. The increase in charge air temperature reduces air density by 10-20%, so the boost pressure adds about 40% more air density, the heat from compressing that air also removes about 1/3 of that.

Adding boost is not a linear curve, it takes increasingly more boost to make more hp, particularly when intercoolers are not used, as is the case with both 850 turbos.

Moral of the story is, the best aftermarket part someone could build for these sleds is an intercooler, add with that extra boost and fuel and 200+hp comes very easy.

Gale Banks has a pretty good video on density vs hp, it's related to 4 strokes but the principles are the same, and he states why quoted boost pressure isn't a sure indication of power output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsnzC3nXOU&ab_channel=BanksPower

Last edited:
Top Bottom