Handguards useful for Mountain Riding

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Hi All,
I recently moved from the prairies to the mountains and I'm wondering how useful handguards are for deep snow riding?

Is wind protection for the hands much of an issue in the mountains?
Is there a specific style of handguard specific for mountain riding?
Do you guys even use them? (I haven't seen many photos of mountain sleds with handguards)
Do they rip off when you roll?
Recommendations?

Cheers, :beer:

Attachments

• HandguardWithMount.jpg
    HandguardWithMount.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 284

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not really necessary as your not going as fast as you are on the flats and if you are its for a shorter duration of time. also they will last one ride from bouncing off trees and rolling down the mountain haha :D

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had a set and he took them off cause they twisted somehow and ended up pinching his throttle.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find my powermadd guards rather durable to rollovers, endo's and trees. its actually almost surprising realy

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic, i doo both flat riding and mountains, i think they work great although they would break if you roll depending the snow conditions.

Attachments

• 100_1030.jpg
    100_1030.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 58

hashbrowns

Reaction score
ya i had them on my cat and they were junk.. i rolled the sled and the hang gaurd hit the throttle and it wasnt pretty.. never going to put them on mine again. but when they did work they blocked the wind not to bad but that was the only use for them

ou812

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check these out, use them on the trail and take off on mountain. velcro on and work good.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are Skinz dealers although we do not have the handguards on our site we can definitely get them for you. If you are interested in them please let us know specifically which ones you are looking for and we will check on availability. We will also need your postal code to work out a shipping price.

Jan & Larry

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on my rev, they really keep my hands a lot warmer. I've always been worried about pinching the throttle.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check these out, use them on the trail and take off on mountain. velcro on and work good.

ya, these work awesome, actually yamaha sells them but they fit all sleds, the thing i love about em, is once u get to the hill there like off in 2 seconds and stuff em in the bottom of the back pack and there out of the way till u need em again....dont have to worry about throttle issues in the deep powder.... 5 star rating from me,,, i sell em to all my buddies n they like em too.

Terry

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, these work awesome, actually yamaha sells them but they fit all sleds, the thing i love about em, is once u get to the hill there like off in 2 seconds and stuff em in the bottom of the back pack and there out of the way till u need em again....dont have to worry about throttle issues in the deep powder.... 5 star rating from me,,, i sell em to all my buddies n they like em too.

Terry

X2 used them all last year, work great.

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my hand guards riding up the trail to the back country. definetely helps with the wind and keeping the hands warmer. I had the ski doo ones and they are junk, break way to easy. Gonna try the powermadd ones this year and see how they are

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on both of my sleds. They work well enough that I can wear a lighter glove. I perfer the Snap-on cold weather mechanics gloves. The only problem that I have had is once the mount rotated and cut the wires to the hand warmers. I can not see how the throttle lever could be hit unless the mount was bent in a crash. They also work well for branch protection.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even with mountain riding you usually have a good rip up the trail to get where you want to ride. On those days when its -20 and you really want to ride having some protection from the wind is nice. Don't get hand gaurds with plastic mounts, one role over and they are usually done. The ones on my last rev were thin and would get all bent out of shape, just bent them back into place after each ride.

Personally I like having them. I like the new powermadds, look good on the XP's.

SNAFU

Reaction score
Hand gaurds are defintely worth it for the trail ride up and down. The aluminium mounts broke on the first Yamaha set I had. Now I have a set of ratcheting motorcross hand gaurds. Sunline Moto Ray. They can rotate during a roll over and haven't broken yet. They are a bit smaller than the snowmobile gaurds but still work awsome.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got the ski doo ones on my o9xp,they have been good,they have seen afew rolls and acouple trees with no prblems,sure are nice on the trail though.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rigid ones generally tend to twist and bend in a rollover but it sounds like the more flexible ones would be great if you can take them off when riding the pow. If you are riding aggressively, I found that they can get in the way when you're in panic-mode and have to grab the bars quickly. :cool:

Top Bottom