Chatter Creek

snowho

Reaction score
I want to try Chatter on Friday. Has anyone been in lately? I know there was an avalanche on the forty-nine K.M on Saturday and not too sure if it has been removed. For the last couple of years we have done a trip there and usually 1) take the road all the way 2) After it is open to sledders. I heard that sledders can still go but they must stop at the lodge and see what areas are open to sledders, is this true? Never have taken the water skip either. I guess you unload at the bay cross the lake and sled down the road to the Chatter creek access road. Can anyone give me some definitive information?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
STAY OFF THE LAKE!!!!... i dont know how many storys i have heard of ice fisherman with a auger and come up dry and find out water is below them 20ft or more.... I know i see people cut across, but really you wanna die a stupid way.

As for sledding, i have always questions the closed to sledders thing with chatter... there tenure is based on a snowmobiling tenure if i am not mistaken. Someone clarify mayby?? riding is always good, give it a couple weeks and the whole place is open. There are areas they designate to sledding which is not bad, so yes you can go up in the off season. Worst part about chatter is you usually get a crappy day this time of season.

snowho

Reaction score
Never liked the idea of crossing the lake either. I called Chatter today and they said if we do go , stop at the lodge and see what areas we can ride. Not too sure if they were able to get the road clear. Thanks for the info

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be a while before the road gets cleared. If stuff like that is ripping out then you seriously have to re-consider the risk.

Yes, please stay off the lake. I can speak from experience, my buddy did this a few yrs back, they camped a ways back from the trailhead, the road was blocked with trucks so they got forced onto the bank which was blocked and so they got forced down onto the shoreline, only had about a km to go, no big deal right? they took a short cut across one little bay where the creek comes out and the back of his sled dropped about 4 ft instantly at one point, thought it was just slushy and soft, looked back and only saw a big black hole! Thank god no one was behind him. You think since there is snow there that its good to go - not so much! Thinking about it after its super clear as to how easy it would be to get stuffed under one of them ice shelves and get clotheslined as you go down or drown under the ice.

snowho

Reaction score
I was at Chatter last weekend and it was awesome. Avalanche at 49 was huge but they cleaned a path over the bridge. A big piece of ice fell on the road and people in front of us chipped enough off the side so trucks with trailers could get by. I think as temperature warms up the road will be like a muddy chunk of swiss cheese though. Iduno what it is like now but it is well worth the drive.

• Love
Reactions: css

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As it warms up this road becomes a complete mess from the trailers. Skinny tires, soft muddy road....

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have recent pics of chatter creek??? or conditions??

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be riding my first day there next weekend. Staying for 4.

I will bombard you all with pics and videos when I return.:cool::cool::cool:

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was good. Road is a mess. Use caution as plenty of axle breaking holes developing and as soon as the sun warms it up the road surface gets very soupy. Especially after Bush Harbour the mud wants to pull you off the cliff side as the road is angled....

Lots of carnage over the weekend.

DooSummit

Reaction score
To stay up there during the snowmobile season it's roughly $200.00 + taxes per night per person, this rate includes dinner, breakfast and lunch. Definitely worth it in my opinion

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you havent made it up yet... sorry for your luck. Made a trip up on saturday, sounds like i hit the only bluebird day in the last week. Snow was good as usual. North facing slopes you could find bumper deep or more. All south facing sloppes were half that or less. Hit the far back SW bowls past the notch, could see Mt Sir Sandford across the lake. Also from glacier to the north of the lodge you could see the columbia ice field and Mt Tsar across the sullivan valley.

The road... well there are lots of soft spots, i know in my half ton i punched through a couple areas let alone the diesel. for the most though road was in good shape. Parking was at KM 75 ish. Not alot of room once you get in with all the big rigs there with guys camping out.

will try and get some pics or vids if i get time

summitking

Reaction score
Anyone here what happened to the young guy that was airlifted out of Chatter last Sunday? Was it a slide?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here what happened to the young guy that was airlifted out of Chatter last Sunday? Was it a slide?

There is some information over on the "Chatter Creek Injury" thread. Nothing has been verified as of yet.

Top Bottom