Million of unsafe vehicles on Canadian roads

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 10, 2023 by Adam Malik

Million of unsafe vehicles on Canadian roads​

While many aren't responding to recalls, there's also plenty of business the aftermarket could be taking advantage of
Mechanic-technician-vehicle-car-repair-creeper-Depositphotos_221438662_S.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
About 6.6 million vehicles deemed unsafe are on Canadian roads, according to the federal government.

The issues stem from unresolved safety recalls, says a report from The Canadian Press. A Transport Canada analysis from June, it noted, estimated that one in five of the 33.3 million vehicles registered as of 2019 have outstanding recalls. These vehicles continue to be driven on Canadian roads and highways, potentially putting occupants and other road users at risk.

New rules are being proposed by the department to require companies that issue safety recalls to post related information quickly on their website to boost awareness and fix defects.

The amended regulations would also see automakers have a lookup tool on their website for vehicle inspection numbers to provide info on recalls.

A small number of vehicle owners find out about recalls, said Ian Jack, vice president of public affairs at the Canadian Automobile Association. The issue is more prevalent if the car is second-hand with the new owner out of the reach of the dealership.

“Unfortunately in this country, if you want to know for sure whether there’s a recall issued on your vehicle, you have to pay attention yourself — especially in the case of a used vehicle, because the only name on record that the government would have or that the automaker would have is likely the initial purchaser,” he told CP.

Jack further noted that most recalls are for minor issues, meaning they’re not urgent or life-threatening.

“I don’t want to leave the impression that there are millions of vehicles driving around about to explode or kill people in the next five seconds,” he said.

Underperformed maintenance​

Furthermore, there are many vehicle owners who are not performing needed maintenance on their vehicles.

It has been referred to as “a multi-billion-dollar prize out there,” by Brent Hesje, who served as AIA Canada chair in 2018. At the time, he noted AIA Canada estimated there was about $15 billion in maintenance and repair work outlined in owner manuals that consumers are ignoring.

This is money that could be flowing into the automotive aftermarket if drivers were more aware of the work needed to be done.

That puts the onus on the aftermarket to get the message out about consumers ensuring their vehicles are safe and roadworthy.

“The biggest driver of underperformed maintenance is a lack of consumer education on why a repair is required,” wrote Nason Higinbotham, general manager for B.C. & Yukon Stores at Fountain Tire, in the June 2022 issue of CARS. “We, the aftermarket, should be channelling our focus to educating our associates so they can, in turn, educate our customers.

The Automotive Industries Association of Canada and its members put vehicle safety are the top of its list of priorities, said Alana Baker, senior director of government relations with AIA Canada.

“We encourage governments who are responsible for road safety to look at the impact of vehicle maintenance and repairs,” she said in a statement to Auto Service World.

Baker and AIA Canada president J.F. Champagne both highlighted the importance of vehicle inspection programs to ensure safety.

“AIA Canada also supports Transport Canada’s proposed regulatory amendments that would require companies that issue a safety recall to also publish safety recall-related information on their website, in a timely manner, with the goal of increasing recall awareness and completion,” Baker said, adding that it’s “critical” for consumers to have access to data and information.

“This includes access to diagnostic data so that independent auto repair shops can effectively service vehicles and ensure they are operating as efficiently and safely as possible and allow consumers the right to repair their vehicle at the auto repair shop of their choice.”

Right to repair has been on the minds of many in the industry in recent weeks as three U.S.-based groups said they came together on an agreement that was swiftly slammed by all corners of the aftermarket.

While the issue was related to the U.S. with no implications on this side of the border, AIA Canada also shot down the pact.

“AIA Canada’s position remains that voluntary agreements like this do not work. Any attempt to achieve the desired outcome for the right to repair must be based on legislative measures, with strong enforcement mechanisms in place to hold players accountable and liable for any violations,” the group said in a separate statement to Auto Service World.

“While this new U.S. agreement admits that there is a problem with access to repair data, it falls short of addressing specific current challenges and accounting for future innovation. This unenforceable, voluntary pact between a small segment of the aftermarket is not the solution and undermines the consumer’s right to equitable access to vehicle data.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha! another attempt by auto industry to remove older vehicles from the road, to push new car sales. never take your vehicle to crap tire is best advice i can give to anyone, lots of new exhaust systems and total overhaul on brake systems, that may just need an new set of pads?
by the way our fed government wants to eliminate gas vehicles by 2035 one way or the other.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That article must be referring to the western provinces. Some of the vehicles I see on the road here in Alberta should not be.
The Atlantic provinces require a yearly inspection every 1 or two years depending on the province.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That article must be referring to the western provinces. Some of the vehicles I see on the road here in Alberta should not be.
The Atlantic provinces require a yearly inspection every 1 or two years depending on the province.

4.2 million in Ab and 2.89 are just chitty drivers or cant drive and do not know what reg maintenance is, and should have a bus pass, not even gonna mention the uninsured bastages running around.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has very little to do with condition of any vehicle, it's all about getting your vehicles off the road by 2035, this will ramp up as time goes on, likely the first step, don't be a sheep

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
“Unfortunately in this country, if you want to know for sure whether there’s a recall issued on your vehicle, you have to pay attention yourself — especially in the case of a used vehicle, because the only name on record that the government would have or that the automaker would have is likely the initial purchaser,” he told CP.

How would the government not have name and contact info? Its required for insurance and registration. Sure theres a few uninsured driving around but the vast majority have it

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya no thanks on the yearly inspections. Keep that chit out in commie land where it belongs.

You do know that any vehicle in AB thats over 10 years old and it is sold, has to be inspected? Probably lots of uninsured vehicles on the road because of it, but thats an assumption.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do know that any vehicle in AB thats over 10 years old and it is sold, has to be inspected? Probably lots of uninsured vehicles on the road because of it, but thats an assumption.

That great. I buy new vehicles and I don't want more BS inspections to worry about. Even if I wanted to buy a old muscle car or something. Inspect once in Alberta and then you are good. And I like that.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That’s a BS money grab. A 2 year old vehicle needs an inspection? I lived in New Brunswick for 5 years & all the inspections on the crappy vehicles were cleared by buddies or family. So what was the point?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a BS money grab. A 2 year old vehicle needs an inspection? I lived in New Brunswick for 5 years & all the inspections on the crappy vehicles were cleared by buddies or family. So what was the point?

Its not a two year old vehicle, its up to a certain age. I lived in NS and I know how the game is played, its a money grab when people with a license are willing to give anyone an inspection that should not. Its their neck on the line, cause its their license. I know what criteria for a pass and fail are. I used to do it.
It seems alot of people are ok with sharing the road with vehicles that should not be on the road. If a person cannot afford a 30 dollar inspection every two years than, I dunno what to say.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know where to go if you don't like it....

Probably is no big deal if you sit on ei for 10 months a year and have all kinds of spare time for total BS. Lmao

Last edited:

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not a two year old vehicle, its up to a certain age. I lived in NS and I know how the game is played, its a money grab when people with a license are willing to give anyone an inspection that should not. Its their neck on the line, cause its their license. I know what criteria for a pass and fail are. I used to do it.
It seems alot of people are ok with sharing the road with vehicles that should not be on the road. If a person cannot afford a 30 dollar inspection every two years than, I dunno what to say.

They have updated the time between inspections in NB to 2 years. It was yearly back when i lived there but you still need an inspection on a brand new vehicle but it is good for 3 years. It's not the $35 fee that bugged me - its the shady crap like reefing on the brake hoses to make them crack so they don't pass inspection.

Fee DescriptionRate in $Effective Date
YYYY-MM-DD
Inspection of passenger vehicle, station wagon, family motor coach and antique vehicle
New vehicle - first inspection valid three years
Used vehicle - every two years

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know where to go if you don't like it....

Probably is no big deal if you sit on ei for 10 months a year and have all kinds of spare time for total BS. Lmao

I have to get my service truck inspected every year in Alberta and its a 550, loss of the vehicle for a day, and costs big money, to make sure it will pass.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from my

Keep that chit out in commie land where it belongs. 😊

Last edited:
Top Bottom