Chatter Creek Golden

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have an opportunity to jump in with a group next April for a bucket list trip to Chatter Creek Mountain Lodge to do some sledding. Seems to be some confusion on how to get there with the guys as its everyone's first time. I know the skinny FSR road you take to get there goes past Mile 51 riding area as I have rode there years ago in the late 90's. Does that road go all the way to the Lodge or do you park somewhere after Mile 51 and then they pick you up in a cat and take you to the lodge? Thanks!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
We rode in there when snowandmud.com had Mountain Mania in Golden a few years ago. There's a parking lot at the end of that road where you unload and ride your power toboggans to the lodge. Skiers arrive via helicopter . Awesome place!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode in there when snowandmud.com had Mountain Mania in Golden a few years ago. There's a parking lot at the end of that road where you unload and ride your power toboggans to the lodge. Skiers arrive via helicopter . Awesome place!
How far a ride Mike? You just throw your bag of civvies on the tunnel?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Photo of the Chatter staging area from April 2011, they had skimmers for towing your gear to the cabin. It's a fair ride in to the cabin, don't recall the exact km though.

Attachments

• 207.JPG
    207.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 384

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode with bags in n our sled, Grommer grabbed our other stuff.. nice place been there a few times, we were scheduled to go there april 9 this year but to much covid crap laws.. maybe next year

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the heavy duty bumper and BRP hitch for my '09 Renegade just for this trip. Hauled ass with that skimmer full of beer and supplies up the groomed trail and even faster on the way out LOL. Awesome place.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a long drive in.
We parked at about km12 and drove sleds from there.
We crossed the lake bottom at bout km 58.
Not sure you can do that every year.
If the road is ever plowed all the way it would be about km 75 when you turn to the lodge.
Been a while but was an awesome place to ride!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how far past the Mile 51 parking area?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how far past the Mile 51 parking area?

Parking is at about 72km, 74km maybe, some times farther up the road even.. We drove all the way to the lodge in November and rode from there one year. Thats about 90km from donald.

Its a ways off of the highway, thats forsure.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parking is at about 72km, 74km maybe, some times farther up the road even.. We drove all the way to the lodge in November and rode from there one year. Thats about 90km from donald.

Its a ways off of the highway, thats forsure.
So 90km to the lodge and say 72km to parking so roughly a 20km ride in Dan?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess will have to look into seeing if you can put a hitch on the Turbo experts to pull the gear in?

If you're paying the big bucks to stay there, I'd get one of the boys to haul your gear in on a snow cat, or on one of the skandics haha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're paying the big bucks to stay there, I'd get one of the boys to haul your gear in on a snow cat, or on one of the skandics haha
Yeah not sure what the plan is at this stage. Lol. Maybe thats what the group will do is hire a cat to haul it in and out. Can't wait for that trip in and out on that FSR! lmao!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah not sure what the plan is at this stage. Lol. Maybe thats what the group will do is hire a cat to haul it in and out. Can't wait for that trip in and out on that FSR! lmao!

I like the drive, it's a cool road. Some times avy's will block the road at inconvenient times though. Haha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the drive, it's a cool road. Some times avy's will block the road at inconvenient times though. Haha
Yeah had a buddy got pinned in there after riding Mile 51. Had to dig out 2 slides that crossed the road. They left the hill at 4:30pm and got back to Golden at 4am. They were bagged, slept in at hotel and just went home instead of riding the next day. Lol

Top Bottom