What’s actually holding back EV purchases

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 26, 2022 by Adam Malik

What’s actually holding back EV purchases​

It’s not for financial or technological reasons, according to a new study. It’s a psychological barrier
EV-Electric-green-concept-Depositphotos_249995576_L-1024x683.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
Consumers underestimate how much an electric vehicle can support their mobility needs as even most modest battery ranges are capable of meeting drivers’ daily needs, according to a recent study.

This “cognitive bias” is holding back people from buying an EV.

Gas prices hit record highs this year, automakers are regularly announcing investments into electrification and governments have mandated the end of gas-powered vehicles — most of which has accelerated in the last year or so. But even though registrations of EVs were at its highest point at the end of 2021, they still make up a small number of vehicles in operation. Provinces that offer rebates for EVs — B.C. and Quebec — have the highest number of those vehicles on roads.

However, there appears to be a mental block getting in the way of many people when it comes to buying an EV, according to research from the University of Geneva (UNIGE).

“While financial and technological adoption barriers are increasingly being removed, psychological barriers remain insufficiently addressed,” says the abstract of the report Counteracting Electric Vehicle Range Concern with a Scalable Behavioural Intervention.

The authors found that drivers underestimate the capacity of an EV’s driving range to meet their daily needs. These psychological barriers haven’t been given much consideration when it comes to transitioning car owners from an internal combustion engine to electric.

“However, many studies show that individuals do not automatically adopt the behaviours most beneficial for themselves or society, often due to a lack of access to complete information,” said Mario Herberz, one of the study’s authors and researcher at the Consumer Decision and Sustainable Behavior Laboratory of the Department of Psychology at the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the UNIGE.

Fellow author and director of the Consumer Decision and Sustainable Behavior Laboratory Tobias Brosch noted that consumers wrongly believe that current batteries are insufficient to cover their daily needs.

So a larger network of charging stations or bigger batteries aren’t the only solutions to put consumers’ minds at ease, Herberz noted. “It is the provision of information adapted to the concrete needs of drivers that will reduce their concern and increase their willingness to adopt an electric vehicle.”

For the overwhelming majority — 90 per cent of drivers — a 200-km range was adequate for daily use.

“The trend is to increase performance, but we have observed that a greater range, beyond 300 km for example, does not increase the fit to daily needs. It would only have a minimal impact on the number of additional trips that can be completed with one electric charge,” Herberz said. “Increasing the size of the batteries is therefore not a key element in the energy transition.”

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah some people actually travel outside their own citys/counties. Many hundreds of km per day and *gasp* some of them do it in the winter. Also get this, sometimes they only want a 5min stop for gas and not 45+min at a charging station.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find an EV sitting on a lot anywhere? That is all the clue a person should need. Volvo outright cancelled their plans on selling their EV in Canada due to chip shortages.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah some people actually travel outside their own citys/counties. Many hundreds of km per day and *gasp* some of them do it in the winter. Also get this, sometimes they only want a 5min stop for gas and not 45+min at a charging station.

Ok so how do you explain this?

FYhW1NfWIAAcXYR.jpeg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine how many hours that poor bastard has wasted at charging stations.

If you want to drive an EV for 500km/day on the highway how long do you think you need to spend at a charge station?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More than anyone is spending at a gas station.

Sure. But you can’t get gas and eat at the same time. So you get gas (5minutes) and eat (10minutes) and are stopped for 15 minutes. Or you charge for 15 minutes and get food while you’re charging. So what’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pommie_git

Reaction score
If you want to drive an EV for 500km/day on the highway how long do you think you need to spend at a charge station?
15 minutes?

I’m sold. About to pull the trigger on a model 3, just not sure whether to go now or wait for the LR to be available again.

Anyone know how this 100% 55k CCA rate works for business?
What happens after year one? And after 5 years when you sell it.
My accountant isn’t being very helpful on this.
Can’t decide on buying personally or through the business

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure. But you can’t get gas and eat at the same time. So you get gas (5minutes) and eat (10minutes) and are stopped for 15 minutes. Or you charge for 15 minutes and get food while you’re charging. So what’s the difference?

We can split hairs all day but in the end it isn't as convenient as an ICE vehicle due to charging times and availability.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And climate and how vast our country is. Wanted one but wouldn't work for the inlaws. Calgary to Grande Cache. Last station is Hinton. Can't charge up there unless we want to spend a day charging from her parents with extension cords. Maybe once the infrastructure increases...

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your gonna see a big shift from this EV narrative soon enough by many folk. There are many reasons not just chips yadda yadda. 1 Lack of charging stations, 2, Energy grid 3, Distance restrictions to say the least, 4 Manufacturers upping the prices 7500-8500+ while the Gobbernments supposably give you a rebate of 7500 you are not saving anything lol, 5, Current electricity prices and the shear fact Winter is on the horizon. 6, Very pricey to fix as there are only a few shops around or you can only go to certain shops. 7, When the political leaders start taking Electric planes and the electric prices come down to reality i might consider an EV.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the extra power going to come from?. My smart thermostat is constantly sending me emails about registering it so the power company can control it. How long before charging stations get blackout times.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the extra power going to come from?. My smart thermostat is constantly sending me emails about registering it so the power company can control it. How long before charging stations get blackout times.

Can you elaborate on this? I know there has been trial programs in other areas to allow utilities to adjust thermostats during periods of high demand by a degree or two, but nothing I've heard of in Alberta.

ATCO is looking at time of use billing right now, Grande Prairie is one of a few communities in the province that customers can opt into a trial program for this service. I've requested to be part of this trial to provide feedback.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? I know there has been trial programs in other areas to allow utilities to adjust thermostats during periods of high demand by a degree or two, but nothing I've heard of in Alberta.

ATCO is looking at time of use billing right now, Grande Prairie is one of a few communities in the province that customers can opt into a trial program for this service. I've requested to be part of this trial to provide feedback.

I actually do not recall much about it, or what the discount would actually be at the moment, when I created my Honeywell account there was info on it. The thought of someone else controlling my thermostat is not a interest of mine during hot days.
I remember last summer during the heat wave, the news was asking people to shut of their AC to take load off the grid.
062d261c61f8dc7cf8092931e0a37a06.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And climate and how vast our country is. Wanted one but wouldn't work for the inlaws. Calgary to Grande Cache. Last station is Hinton. Can't charge up there unless we want to spend a day charging from her parents with extension cords. Maybe once the infrastructure increases...

Not that bad…
94cdbaebaeea1d8cc98680d7c7f24aa8.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually do not recall much about it, or what the discount would actually be at the moment, when I created my Honeywell account there was info on it. The thought of someone else controlling my thermostat is not a interest of mine during hot days.
I remember last summer during the heat wave, the news was asking people to shut of their AC to take load off the grid.
062d261c61f8dc7cf8092931e0a37a06.jpg

Okay, that's what I was thinking it was. Unless your provider is different than mine, there is no system for the utility to control my thermostat (yet).

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, that's what I was thinking it was. Unless your provider is different than mine, there is no system for the utility to control my thermostat (yet).

I’m unsure if that’s totally accurate, in my case anyway. I can give you access to my thermostat in the settings on my phone. I just have to send you the invite, I was messing around with it the other day and found it in there.

I would think The utility company would have to have a system that would maintain everyone’s thermostats at the same time when the demand on the grid increases.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m unsure if that’s totally accurate, in my case anyway. I can give you access to my thermostat in the settings on my phone. I just have to send you the invite, I was messing around with it the other day and found it in there.

I would think The utility company would have to have a system that would maintain everyone’s thermostats at the same time when the demand on the grid increases.

PG&E did a trial on this for about 20,000 customers in Washington (the customers had to voluntarily sign up). Basically PG&E could increase or decrease the temperature by a maximum of 2 degrees Fahrenheit. I think everyone needed to have a standardized thermostat to do this.

In some areas this makes a lot of sense, the grid at times is pushed to the limit and the option could be blackouts or having the temperature of your house move a degree or two. I know if I was in that scenario which I'd choose.

Top Bottom