Are more sledders becoming idiots or are more idiots becoming sledders?

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread. SnoRiders Magazine has a huge readership all across Western Canada.. After reading these comments I'd love to do a Parking for Dummies Article. If you guys have pics of peeps behaving badly could you send them over as well.

What would be your advice to Riders regarding Parking, and parking Lot manners?

Thank you in advance!

Trish

Problem with an article "Parking for Dumbies" the dumbies don't know who they are! Remember to put in lots of pictures just in case they read it. LOL

I am sure it won't take long and you will have all the pics and info you need to write an article worthy of a Pulitzer. Large letters are nice too for us old guys.

Reactions: RXN

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haa haa.. I'm of the belief.. sometimes people simply don't know.... what they don't know.. and if they know better they'll do better.. fingers crossed.. hey.. even if it hits home for a few peeps, mission accomplished. So many new peeps are getting into our sport, it's good if we can give them a little heads up about how things work.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been sledding since the early 90 in the mountains and there was dicks back then, the only difference today is the dicks are younger and have a lot of money and don't respect anyone or anything. back when we were younger and were just starting to sled we had limited resources and most of the dicks were the older generation who didn't have the time for us and had the new machines and trucks. they drank and smoked in the cabins and left them in the same way as today and if you said anything to them you got a ass kicking. so the idiots still live and someday all this will be gone and we all can sit at home no place to ride because we can't get along.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been sledding since the early 90 in the mountains and there was dicks back then, the only difference today is the dicks are younger and have a lot of money and don't respect anyone or anything. back when we were younger and were just starting to sled we had limited resources and most of the dicks were the older generation who didn't have the time for us and had the new machines and trucks. they drank and smoked in the cabins and left them in the same way as today and if you said anything to them you got a ass kicking. so the idiots still live and someday all this will be gone and we all can sit at home no place to ride because we can't get along.

HHmmmm, interesting post. What i got out of this is in the 90s you were younger and most of the dick's as you call them were older generation rider's while you younger generation were not dick's.
But now your older its the younger generation that are dicks and the older generation are not......is that correct???

BTW, i do get your point and i've been sledding since the 70's, yes they did sled mountian then...haha
The biggest difference between now and then is the amount of people out there sledding. Back in the 70's here in the west there were hardly any snowmobilers to be seen in the mountian's. As most snowmobiles in the west were actually used on farms.
Today every joe and his D-bag buddy can sign on the dotted line and pickup a sled and rip it up with "0" know how, respect or knowledge of the sport and record it all on hero cams for all the other dingdongs to eventually join in.

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HHmmmm, interesting post. What i got out of this is in the 90s you were younger and most of the dick's as you call them were older generation rider's while you younger generation were not dick's.
But now your older its the younger generation that are dicks and the older generation are not......is that correct???
lol how the pespectve changes depending on the side your looking from eh.
Everyone a different age than him is dick. Too funny.....

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of DICKs we rode Ministik Saturday as well, picked up over a dozen empty beer cans off the trail and ran out of room in my tunnel bag. Pick your **** up people!!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of DICKs we rode Ministik Saturday as well, picked up over a dozen empty beer cans off the trail and ran out of room in my tunnel bag. Pick your **** up people!!

Better yet leave that $h!t at home. Gives the rest of us a bad name.

Mad Mike

Reaction score
A buddy and I rode Ministick about 3 weeks ago. There were only about 4 trucks in the same staging area that the original post is referring to, one of the A-holes that was there parked his truck and trailer right in front of the gate and left his ramp out as well. Made it a pain to get around his truck to get through the gate. You can's fix stupid.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has pics of their rig they'd like to share.. Big Trailer, small Trailer, and Sled Deck, can you send them to me. trish@kpimedia.com along with info about who took the picture.

Reactions: RXN

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, it's about numbers. There has always been idiots out there, not as noticeable back then as there were fewer riders in the mountains. More people riding equals more idiots. Some care, some don't, some are respectful of others, and some aren't. I have noticed that there are far more riders on brand new iron, some because of the ease of financing a toy these days, some because of a great paying job. Fewer people packing survival equipment into the backcountry, and more people throwing caution to the wind, relying on avalanche airbags and luck then simple common sense. I seldom ride on weekends now, and usually plan trips midweek to avoid crowded staging areas and other blatant disregard for other's safety or for the environment.
That said when I was a young lad I may have ridden in "questionable" conditions, but everyone eventually grows out of that - whether by their own or someone else's misfortune...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, it's about numbers. There has always been idiots out there, not as noticeable back then as there were fewer riders in the mountains. More people riding equals more idiots. Some care, some don't, some are respectful of others, and some aren't. I have noticed that there are far more riders on brand new iron, some because of the ease of financing a toy these days, some because of a great paying job. Fewer people packing survival equipment into the backcountry, and more people throwing caution to the wind, relying on avalanche airbags and luck then simple common sense. I seldom ride on weekends now, and usually plan trips midweek to avoid crowded staging areas and other blatant disregard for other's safety or for the environment.
That said when I was a young lad I may have ridden in "questionable" conditions, but everyone eventually grows out of that - whether by their own or someone else's misfortune...
Your humble opinion is 100% correct, great post.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Rode Ministik today. Staged at parking lot 2. Got there around 1pm. Great riding, love that place. But I've never seen it like this.

Pulled into the parking lot (1ton crew cab long box/28ft enclosed). no places to park. and not too many units parked in any such way to utilize the limited parking spaces. I was able to somewhat tuck in behind two units along the north fence. Thought I did pretty good. Didn't hit any of the ramps that were left out. and let room so others could still get by me.

Then once off loaded waiting for one more guy to show up, the owner of the trailer i was directly behind comes back to load. I said to him pretty tight parking in here today, to which he snaps back at me that I need to learn how to park. WTH. I asked him where exactly he figures I should have parked, he told me to get a smaller unit.

He was lucky I'm a nice guy. The place is full num nuts. Grab a brian, move your truck ahead 10ft then load. But NOOOO he attempts to load as is. didn't make his ramp, backs up, just about puts his sleds back bumper into my trucks front. And He is ticked that I parked so close. Like I said he could of pulled his truck ahead then loaded.

Anyways I grabbed his front ski to help pull him up and his 3rd attempt to load. Anyways I gave him a hand. But I could have been a dick too.

I did notice others coming back around this time, all not happy with how the parking was, as others blocked them.

Now that my Rant is done...

.. My question,
How hard is it to park tight with other trucks your riding with, put in your ramps and to park in a way others can get by you?

Are sledders becoming idiots? or are too many idiots becoming sledders?

Everyone goes out for a good time, Share and utilize the limit space we have Please!

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

:beer: - RXN

Hence the reason I should have been with you. Chit head would have been spittin chicklets and I would have run his sled and his truck straight up his azz. You know I have no problems makin new friends. lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are simply more idiots getting into the sport. As someone mentioned, the bank is happy happy happy to rubber stamp the paperwork with a big interest rate and a smile. Its young and old alike, people are just stupid. We watched one of these "small weiner rigs" (diesel truck and big enclosed trailer) park across the entire parking lot at a retail food outlet yesterday on our way back from riding. Just parked right up the middle of the entire lot, no regard for other patrons of the establishment. Huge empty area 75 ft west of where they parked where they could have parked and inconvenienced no one....... Wasn't a young guy driving either......sure he parks the same in the staging area.

Seen lots of the time where guys just leave the ramps off their deck..... Seen lots of times people just park against the snowbank and offload, then don't move truck, even if they are parked perpendicular to the flow of traffic in the staging area.

Its not just parking, its everywhere in the sport. Had a client comment to me last week about the weiner rig the passed them on 22 over the break - big deck and sleds loaded, icy roads, big line up of cars, he pulled out and fishtailed, almost hits the ditch, gets it straight and pins it past a bunch of cars, spraying gravel all over them, then runs out of road and cuts off a truck, forcing it into the shoulder when he pulls back in. I'm sure every one of those drivers LOVES sledders.

None of its rocket science, they just can't figure it out.

Would love to see the article written on the entire attitude of sledders not just the parking aspect.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are simply more idiots getting into the sport. As someone mentioned, the bank is happy happy happy to rubber stamp the paperwork with a big interest rate and a smile. Its young and old alike, people are just stupid. We watched one of these "small weiner rigs" (diesel truck and big enclosed trailer) park across the entire parking lot at a retail food outlet yesterday on our way back from riding. Just parked right up the middle of the entire lot, no regard for other patrons of the establishment. Huge empty area 75 ft west of where they parked where they could have parked and inconvenienced no one....... Wasn't a young guy driving either......sure he parks the same in the staging area.

Seen lots of the time where guys just leave the ramps off their deck..... Seen lots of times people just park against the snowbank and offload, then don't move truck, even if they are parked perpendicular to the flow of traffic in the staging area.

Its not just parking, its everywhere in the sport. Had a client comment to me last week about the weiner rig the passed them on 22 over the break - big deck and sleds loaded, icy roads, big line up of cars, he pulled out and fishtailed, almost hits the ditch, gets it straight and pins it past a bunch of cars, spraying gravel all over them, then runs out of road and cuts off a truck, forcing it into the shoulder when he pulls back in. I'm sure every one of those drivers LOVES sledders.

None of its rocket science, they just can't figure it out.

Would love to see the article written on the entire attitude of sledders not just the parking aspect.

totally.. I had the adventures of Henry and Dick that came out last year... Henry was wicked awesome responsible dude.. Dick... well.. he was a dick. I am thinking we have an awesome opportunity to reach out to new riders, and school them right from purchase on.
The petty bitching about.. ohhhhhh you're so gay because you have a wrap... Ooooooo Skidooo... OOOOOO Polaris.. OOOOO cat..... I think that is just petty crap that is soooo redundant.. Honestly .. Take a midol and stop judging...
the actual safety and stewardship stuff. Lets target head on and help riders be better all around. they may go to learn skills from Burandt and Adams etc... but no one is going to go to school to not be a Azz. So we have to approach it in the way that keeps their ears open. I teach in the High school.. believe me.. those kids could have the potential to not listen.. but they do.. and they are excited about learning the "right way". so are their parents.

I'm thinking if there was less focus on petty bashing, and more focus on what matters, and what our goals for the sport are, we could use this forum to educate and reach out to those who simply don't know.. We can pound it into the peeps that are just rude as well. Pretty soon the rude peeps will be a tremendous minority and sledders will self police each other, mentoring along the way.

Happily ever after and stuff..... The Petty bitching is embarrassing in my opinion.. makes us look like a bunch of judgemental whiny beyotches.. Bringing up real issues, safety, parking manners, staging manners, growing our voice, our clubs, our momentum, land issues, those are all proactive issues to tackle... whether or not someone wants to bedazzle their sleds... Grow up and focus on something productive... IMO.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is 1/2 the reason I sold my sled 2 seasons ago....then I missed it, bought and rode last year....now I sold it again. I love love love sledding in Revy. I hate hate hate getting there and going home. And I hate hate hate the "new attitude" newbies out there.

I think the "new attitude" is an age thing and as we get older (not saying were all old) we see what all the older sledders saw a few years ago. But I do agree with you all

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Petty bitching is embarrassing in my opinion.. makes us look like a bunch of judgemental whiny beyotches.. .

Yep that pretty much sums it all up right there...LOL Don't know what to tell you guys on the parking problem,, But the POW sure is lookin deep for today....

Top Bottom